Photo

What's the best way to post a comic?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6181 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

As someone who's not really used to posting images, much less the 30+ that I'm thinking of now, I'm unsure of the best way to go about it. Usually I just use Photobucket, but I figure that wouldn't be the best way to go in this case.

(Or maybe it is, I dunno. Is that unheard of?)

I looked at some of the other comics posted here, and they all seem to use deviantart. So I signed up, and holy god is that site not intuitive on any level. I eventually figured out how to create thumbnail image/links, but I had to re-size the images so much that even enlarging them left them too small. I dunno, I'll figure that out.

So basically what I'm asking is, what's the best way to go about this without coming off obnoxious? Post a couple regular-sized images with a link to a DA gallery? A handful of thumbnails with a link? The entire comic in thumbnails? 15 posts with 2-3 full-size images per post?

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 19 August 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#2 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Citizen
  • 4721 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hmm. I think the most effective way of handling it would be to start small -- say a single post with the first 5 pages. Then, a few days later, 1.) add on another five as a reply so people following the thread can see it immediately, 2.) edit the original post to include links to the new images so that thread newcomers can browse it all in a single sitting if they want, 3.) edit the thread subtitle with the date and new page numbers.

********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#3 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10290 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

I know I usually post a page at a time when I post pages, but personally I love it when people post multiples pages in one post. It gives a good sense of how the storybook is going to develop.

I say if you have an entire issue ready to go, I'd do the five or so pages if you feel those five pages are strong enough on their own. There's nothing I hate more than a comci plotted slowly, that's broken up into a ridiculous ammount of parts. I'd say, present the story how you planed it. If its meant to be one 30 issue comic, do it. If you meant for it be be read in parts of 5, do it. I personally don't think any particular way is more "obnoxious" than the other.

#4 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6181 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll do as Nick suggested and post the whole thing just because of what it is; it's not some ongoing story that I'm continuing, but a 12-year-old comic I drew in high school that I'm posting mostly as a goof. It's black-and-white and on lined notebook paper, so people might get a kick out of it in one sitting, but I doubt anyone would be following along for multiple installments. icon-hotrod.gif

#5 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10290 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Awesome. Be sure to post the link here when you have it up! Goof or no I'm always pumped to see what people have been up to.

#6 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6181 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Done and done!

http://www.allspark....showtopic=81799

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users