9 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Forum Moderator
  • 5305 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

So, I am one of the many in the world that didn't watch Firefly back when it was on Fox. Well, after hearing so many good things about it, I DVR'd the entire series when The Science Channel had their July 4th marathon. Well my wife and I finally sat down on Saturday and watched the entire series. We were both so blown away by how good it was, we ran out that night (2am Sunday morning) and bought Serenity on BluRay and watched it on Sunday.

I am ashamed at myself for not watching this series before. I feel like I need to turn in my scifi fandom card for not supporting this show when it was on the air. The characters, the story lines, the effects... this show was absolutely amazing!! I seriously have a hurting inside knowing this show only got one season and a movie.

I guess where I'm wanting this thread to go is, now that Science Channel was able to secure the rights to play the series, do you think there's any chance of them bring the show back for another season? After a search on the web, the last talk I saw of another season was back in 2007 when people were trying to secure the rights away from FOX. So now, it's 2011, 9 years after the original series was produced. Is there still a market for this show or would it suffer the same fate it did on FOX?

#2 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30754 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

No, you are not alone. I didn't bother watching it while it was on, and didn't really like it till I sat down and watched it on DVD (in the proper order, mind.) with my brother.

As for direction: currently, nathan fillion is trying to raise funds to buy the property off fox and make webisodes.

#3 Canthros

Canthros

Why don't Pac-Man wanna eat eyes?

• Citizen
  • 2843 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

I didn't watch until it had been on DVD a while. I did manage to catch Serenity in the theater, though.

Given that some of the principal actors and Joss Whedon all seem to be tied up in other projects right now, I think that would argue against anything very long. It's also true that it's been almost ten years: everybody's moved on to other projects and it's hard to say how open they would be to returning. (Haven't heard anybody say anything bad about the production, and Jewel Staite practically gushed about it in an interview I read a while back.)

Crazier things have happened.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

#4 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4713 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

^he wasn't serious about that.

Despite the loud volume of fans, there just isn't a large volume of fans. There hasn't been enough of them (or enough of them willing) to support comics even when written by Whedon.

Edited by Scavgraphics, 25 July 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#5 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7390 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

I only just recently watched the series, haven't caught serenity yet, but I'll get to it. Probably once I'm done with Black Adder.

Loved it, by the way.

#6 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 12830 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

It didn't help that the comics were only so-so, and some of them were only available at rather high price points. I mean, Shepherd's Tale was interesting and finally revealed Book's past, but IIRC it was a $25 rather slender hardcover volume. Pricing for the hardcore fan and no one else.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#7 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4727 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

I think Serenity was a good end for the series. Everyone has gone on to other things. I almost wouldn't mind a Firefly: The Next Generation some time down the road, but for now, I'm happy with how things turned out.

There are some very vocal hardcore fans though that make me tune out of the fandom completely. I've been fairly disappointed with the comics and tie-in stuff to. So, I'm ok with it being over for now.

And I watched and loved the series when it was first-run, and was there for Serenity opening night.
On them twitters

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8308 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is usually where I plug Fireflyfans.net. We have an unproduced script from the show and are basically the clearinghouse of Joss-related news.

News like this tidbit from SDCC:
But more interestingly - especially if "Firefly" happens to be your favorite Whedon project (as it clearly was to many people in the Indigo Ballroom) - when a fan asked if he'd be telling the backstory of more "Firefly" characters in comics, Whedon said that "We now have license to not only tell backstory but move forward with these characters, too. It would be interesting to know what happens next."

The other Firefly comics alluded to above were "Those Left Behind" (set between the series and movie), "Better Days" (set after the series), "Float Out" (set after the movie, but framing a flashback to before the series), and "The Shepherd's Tale" (a prequel revealing Book's backstory). There's also "The Other Side" (during or after the series) which was online-only.

From the sound of things, the rights FOX was squatting on have reverted to Joss, and they can now start filling in the post-Serenity timeframe (which they already kinda did with the last page of "Float Out").

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Zoe's pregnant

#9 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Forum Moderator
  • 5305 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the link Cybersnark. I'll be checking that place out right now.

As far as the movie being a fitting end of the series, I can see that point. I really need to read some of the comics and see what else is out there.

#10 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 33576 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Jul 25 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The other Firefly comics alluded to above were "Those Left Behind" (set between the series and movie), "Better Days" (set after the series), "Float Out" (set after the movie, but framing a flashback to before the series), and "The Shepherd's Tale" (a prequel revealing Book's backstory). There's also "The Other Side" (during or after the series) which was online-only.

From the sound of things, the rights FOX was squatting on have reverted to Joss, and they can now start filling in the post-Serenity timeframe (which they already kinda did with the last page of "Float Out").

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Zoe's pregnant

Crap! Looks like I missed "Shepard's Tale".

"Float Out" was pretty bad, really the only notable part was the last page. I thought "Better Days" was alright. It at least managed to capture some of the fun of the series.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users