Photo

Episode 19

112 replies to this topic

#41 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2112 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(RCX @ Jul 17 2011, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Jul 17 2011, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Agent X @ Jul 17 2011, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great episode except for Starscream. I coldn't stand begging and the screaming (its in his name, I know...) combined with his really thin design I just can't stand this Starscream. Animated Starscream wasn't that annoying. Maybe because he had the proper Lattatude.

Well, Animated Megatron "killed" Animated Starscream instead of threatening him like Prime Megatron did with Prime Starscream. And from that point on, Starscream was immortal, so why bother being afraid? Animated Starscream was never quite in the same position as Prime Starscream.

And I loved the progression of Starscream's cowardice in this episode. Throughout the whole series has been rather brave and bold when it came to his actions. But we start to see that slip when he realizes why they're at the cave. Not just because of his Energon stockpile. That line of Starscream's; "Alone." was key to the whole slide of the Decepticon's confidence. He knew exactly why they were going down in a cave together alone and with no way to communicate with the other Decepticons. But his fear of Megatron propelled him forward. And the further they went into the cave, the more afraid he became until the fear absolutely broke him.

Very much a refreshing bit of characterization in the show. It wasn't just a reinforcing of an existing character trait like most of the characterization has been so far, but it took everything about the character we know about Starscream and flipped it on its head. Because up until this point, even when Starscream was groveling to Megatron, it was always fake. There was always a level of self-confidence behind those lines of dialog; it made it appear as though he no real fear of Megatron, he was merely buying time until he could enact his plans. But this time we saw just how genuinely afraid of Megatron he really is. Just him being alone with Megatron in the center of a dark cave just completely shattered Starscream's confidence and we saw his cowardice and fear laid bare.

And when he escaped from the cave, he tried to return to the (false) sense of bravado that he had previously possessed, but he couldn't. His fear drove him back into the cave to save the very robot that terrified him the most.

All and all, it did not only a great job of providing a character twist for Starscream, but also helped make Megatron that much more of a bad-ass. Even though he didn't really do anything in the episode (other than stupidly cause the cave-in), he gained so much more character from just standing there and making Starscream cry like a little girl.

Fantastic observations here on a fantastic episode. Does this make 2 in a row sans Optimus?
This ep single-handedly sold me on CG-robot-eyebrows. Screamer's emoting was great.

Thats fine. but I still don't like P-Scream. but then if Fwiffo can start warming up to Miko....icon-hotrod.gif

But no new episodes for a few weeks....AGAIN?! icon-screamer.gif
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#42 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4154 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, If I was still the kid that planned his whole weekend schedule around watching new episodes of cartoons these breaks would really be confusing me.
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#43 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 814 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Silent_Magnus @ Jul 17 2011, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, If I was still the kid that planned his whole weekend schedule around watching new episodes of cartoons these breaks would really be confusing me.

Considering Prime's ratings haven't really gone down during the breaks, I don't think most kids care. =P

#44 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2427 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Whatchu guys talkin about? New ep next Saturday, "Partners."
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#45 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 2183 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

After Partners there's going to be another gap, probably through a good part of August, if not all of it.
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: more comprehensive than Teletraan I, longer lasting than Teletraan II, not as violent as Teletraan 10.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#46 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 17208 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Silent_Magnus @ Jul 17 2011, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jul 17 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jul 17 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Out of His Head?"

It was only a few episodes ago?

Man, "Out of His Head" was six episodes ago - that's basically a full quarter of the season. Not a short amount of time by that method of judgement, and very pronounced since the last four in a row have been exclusively about Arcee, Bulkhead and their humans.

It feels weird complaining about something like that since they're some of my favorite characters in the show, but I think the other guys need an opportunity to shine and develop as well.

How about this, then?

They do an episode in which Bee, Bulky, and/or Miko really hug things up somehow.

What Prime wants to do is unload on them for their cluster foul-up and reduce them to mere quivering wrecks.

But he can't. He's the leader, and so he has to set the appropriate example.

Instead, he informs them that he's going to go for a walk; they're confined to the base until he gets back, at which point he'll tell them what their punishment is to be.

As Prime is about to step outside of the base, Raf sneaks along and joins him. This leads to a discussion about what it means to be an authority figure and how those who are in charge have certain obligations and demands on them. Unfortunately, their talk is interrupted by Knockout, who is also having a very bad day and wants to vent his frustrations by duking it out with Optimus man-to-man. Optimus is now placed in another awkward situation, as he has to choose between putting the 'Con surgeon down for the count and keeping Raf safe from harm.

Would an episode like that make you happy?
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#47 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7922 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Actually, yeah, that would be a neat episode.

#48 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28120 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

I dunnow.

Megatron does seem like the kind of guy who'd be f***ed up in the head enough to taunt someone into murdering him with a drill just so he could have the satisfaction of knowing he pulled it off.

#49 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

a harmless earth creature...

• Citizen
  • 2163 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

That was beautiful.

#50 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 6884 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

I couldn't help but think that these characters haven't seen the movies. That Optimus would drill right through the helpless Megatron's skull.

It was an okay episode. A bit dull in plot but with some nice characterization.
I have signatures disabled because they suck.

#51 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4743 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Ok, I'm on the train. Wooo-Wooo, happy Prime!

Loved Starscream's range, great job in his facial animations to support the VA work.

If it had been Airachnid, I think Jack may have pulled the trigger.
On them twitters

#52 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5582 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Zek the Steam @ Jul 17 2011, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a terrific episode.

For the first time in Transformers history, I am legitimately afraid of Megatron. He's not a comic villain like BW Megs, he's not a Bond villain like Animated Megs, he is an honest to goodness bad nasty man.

Unless you object, this is going into my sig.

#53 BumblebeeRoo

BumblebeeRoo
  • Protoform
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Ahhhhhh, so clearly I'm not alone in thinking that BayPrime is rather bloodthirsty, giving off a rather "f**k this* sort of vibe.

As for this episode, I agree that Miko's character development is vastly improved (she irritated the living daylights out of me in previous episodes, I wondered why Bulkhead hadn't lost it by now).

Also, Megatron is DEFINITELY the most frightening that I have ever seen him. I don't know if it was partly down to Starscream's performance adding to the sense of terror, but one thing's for sure, I saw DOTM today and PrimeMeg makes BayMeg look like a beaten old dog.

The Dinobot parade!

#54 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7922 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Jul 18 2011, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it had been Airachnid, I think Jack may have pulled the trigger.

I'm not even sure he would kill Airachnid in that situation. He strikes me as far too moral to kill a helpless enemy, even one as irredemable as her.

Also, Megatron is DEFINITELY the most frightening that I have ever seen him.

I have to wonder if Megatron knew that Jack wouldn't kill him like that, even goading him with "Optimus would" to reinforce to Jack that really, "Optimus wouldn't".

#55 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48517 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Jul 18 2011, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Megatron is DEFINITELY the most frightening that I have ever seen him.

I have to wonder if Megatron knew that Jack wouldn't kill him like that, even goading him with "Optimus would" to reinforce to Jack that really, "Optimus wouldn't".

I don't think so. He doesn't know him well enough to know whether or not he would.

Though he probably does figure he's too frightening to Jack to think he'd go through with it.

Randy

#56 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6160 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

If there was never a good episode of Prime again, people would still be referencing this one for years to come in Megatron/Starscream discussions.

My favorite part was Starscream's realization upon exiting the cave that he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. A far, welcome cry from the days when Starscream's tought process consisted of, "Ooh, Megatron tripped and fell down! With him momentarily inconvenienced, now I'M the leader!"

I wouldn't have driven that drill into Megatron either. Not for any moral reason, I just wouldn't wanna be anywhere NEAR that scary bastard.

It's funny that for a show with Bumblebee in it, Arcee is kinda becoming the Bumblebee of the show (in terms of popularity and use).

#57 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17525 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Arcee is by far the best developed character on the show (Jack, Bulkhead and now Starscream are close behind). I love how she's finally getting a good character that people can care about.

#58 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6160 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Absolutely. And with her human partner being the most developed of the three, that further stands her out as the MVP of the Autobots so far.

#59 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 8041 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

Kinda sad that there even has to be an MVP, if only because it drives home that we've got some poor performers in the bunch.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#60 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 2740 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

After Animated Bumblebee I'm glad that this Bumblebee is a total minor character.

I'm also very glad that he's mute. Animated Bumblebee would be better if he was mute.

He would be better if he was dead too, which he kinda is now that the show itself is dead but yeeaaah you get what I meant.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users