112 replies to this topic

#21 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Megatron's head looking down a cave tunnel at you with his scary face and his red eyes lighting up the whole tunnel.

Something about that shot looked off to me. The way Megs was stuck in there didn't really feel natural.

But it didn't hurt the episode one bit.

More on Miko. I said in another thread recently that I was ready to declare myself officially a Miko H8t0R, but this episode made her likeable - for once.

I'd like to hope she'd finally learned her lesson this episode - even when she got everyone else in danger, she never showed anything other than YEAH COOL even when being chased by giant robot T-Rex Zombies - or even showed regret for that matter. She looked genuinely upset by everything this episode, and I hope that sticks.

I'm not sure I have faith in the writers though - but then again, this episode proved me wrong on both Megatron and Starscream, who it appeared had just gone the G1 route when this whole time, Megatron's been evaluating Starscream for his own personel amusement.

Even if Miko's idiocy is halved, that'd be a major improvement.

#22 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2424 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jul 17 2011, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Agent X @ Jul 17 2011, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great episode except for Starscream. I coldn't stand begging and the screaming (its in his name, I know...) combined with his really thin design I just can't stand this Starscream. Animated Starscream wasn't that annoying. Maybe because he had the proper Lattatude.

Well, Animated Megatron "killed" Animated Starscream instead of threatening him like Prime Megatron did with Prime Starscream. And from that point on, Starscream was immortal, so why bother being afraid? Animated Starscream was never quite in the same position as Prime Starscream.

And I loved the progression of Starscream's cowardice in this episode. Throughout the whole series has been rather brave and bold when it came to his actions. But we start to see that slip when he realizes why they're at the cave. Not just because of his Energon stockpile. That line of Starscream's; "Alone." was key to the whole slide of the Decepticon's confidence. He knew exactly why they were going down in a cave together alone and with no way to communicate with the other Decepticons. But his fear of Megatron propelled him forward. And the further they went into the cave, the more afraid he became until the fear absolutely broke him.

Very much a refreshing bit of characterization in the show. It wasn't just a reinforcing of an existing character trait like most of the characterization has been so far, but it took everything about the character we know about Starscream and flipped it on its head. Because up until this point, even when Starscream was groveling to Megatron, it was always fake. There was always a level of self-confidence behind those lines of dialog; it made it appear as though he no real fear of Megatron, he was merely buying time until he could enact his plans. But this time we saw just how genuinely afraid of Megatron he really is. Just him being alone with Megatron in the center of a dark cave just completely shattered Starscream's confidence and we saw his cowardice and fear laid bare.

And when he escaped from the cave, he tried to return to the (false) sense of bravado that he had previously possessed, but he couldn't. His fear drove him back into the cave to save the very robot that terrified him the most.

All and all, it did not only a great job of providing a character twist for Starscream, but also helped make Megatron that much more of a bad-ass. Even though he didn't really do anything in the episode (other than stupidly cause the cave-in), he gained so much more character from just standing there and making Starscream cry like a little girl.

Fantastic observations here on a fantastic episode. Does this make 2 in a row sans Optimus?
This ep single-handedly sold me on CG-robot-eyebrows. Screamer's emoting was great.
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#23 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48083 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Jul 17 2011, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More on Miko. I said in another thread recently that I was ready to declare myself officially a Miko H8t0R, but this episode made her likeable - for once.

I love Miko every episode she's in. Well perhaps the first episode I wasn't sold on her, it wasn't until she was playing guitar that I grew to really like her.

QUOTE(RCX @ Jul 17 2011, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic observations here on a fantastic episode. Does this make 2 in a row sans Optimus?

Yes it was.

Randy

#24 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55000 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Miko plays guitar? But that's a background character trait that according to Fwiffo no one in this show has.

You are obviously wrong, and stupid.

#25 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41495 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Well perhaps the first episode I wasn't sold on her,

I was sold on her as soon as she said "Dude! Go with!"

I found Sari more annoying than Miko. Her rash behavior is just a the set-up for the episode. I find her a fun character to watch.

Edited by Bass X0, 17 July 2011 - 01:24 PM.

It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#26 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2424 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Another part I really loved was when Megs and Starscream first arrive at the mine at the end of the first scene. They fly in-transform-land, and just seemingly stare into the camera before the intro starts. Effing awesome.
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#27 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Jul 17 2011, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Miko plays guitar? But that's a background character trait that according to Fwiffo no one in this show has.

You are obviously wrong, and stupid.

I said none of the robots had them. icon-waspy.gif

#28 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 2675 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Something minor I really liked was how Arcee's shots barely had any effect on Megatron, I don't know why but I always liked those villains that can just keep taking hits and it barely phases them.

Hope this SDCC tells us something about a TFP Megatron Voyager!

#29 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Retired Staff
  • 8926 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I was going to come into this thread and mention how scary Megatron is, but that was pretty well covered.
To see him tear down the usually confident Starscream so completely, it was pretty wild.

Good stuff from Bulkhead and Miko in this episode, too. I haven't really been sure what to make of this Bulkhead, but every time the show tests him, a great new quality shows up.

#30 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4022 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I'm having trouble remembering something. When was the last time Raf did something other than hang out in the background?
The show has kind of been ignoring him.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 17 July 2011 - 02:29 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#31 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 27888 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

"Out of His Head?"

It was only a few episodes ago?

#32 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 48083 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(RCX @ Jul 17 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another part I really loved was when Megs and Starscream first arrive at the mine at the end of the first scene. They fly in-transform-land, and just seemingly stare into the camera before the intro starts. Effing awesome.

Yeah I loved that too. I also love the sound Megatron makes when he walks. It's so powerful and deep when his foot hits the ground compared to anyone else.

Randy

#33 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jul 17 2011, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Out of His Head?"

Seems longer due to breaks.

Speaking of which, looks like we're due for another long one. Neither MSN or TV Guide have updated their schedules yet, and they're usually 3 weeks or so ahead. WHich is a huge bummer as the shows actually getting better now.

But on the plus side, if the rumors about Season 2 hitting in November are right, it'll only be another month long break after Season 1 ends instead of a 4-6 month break.

#34 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

President D-69

• Citizen
  • 22236 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

After watching this episode ... all is forgiven.

Welcome to your "beastwars season 2" Transformers Prime, keep up the good work.
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

#35 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6487 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jul 17 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Out of His Head?"

Man, "Out of His Head" was six episodes ago - that's basically a full quarter of the season. Not a short amount of time by that method of judgement, and very pronounced since the last four in a row have been exclusively about Arcee, Bulkhead and their humans.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 17 July 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#36 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 27888 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

really? Huh. it feels shorter.

#37 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 2146 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Jul 18 2011, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I genuinely think if Jack tried to kill him Megatron would have eaten the drill and Jack had he attempted it.

Yeah, my reason for not trying to off him with the drill wouldn't be "It's not what Optimus would do", it would be "If Megatron is saying I should do it, he is probably up to something."
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: more comprehensive than Teletraan I, longer lasting than Teletraan II, not as violent as Teletraan 10.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#38 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7469 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

That was a terrific episode.

For the first time in Transformers history, I am legitimately afraid of Megatron. He's not a comic villain like BW Megs, he's not a Bond villain like Animated Megs, he is an honest to goodness bad nasty man.

#39 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 48083 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I'd be scared jiveless in Jack's situation with his red eyes starring back at me. Even with Jack's supposed advantage.

Randy

#40 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4022 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jul 17 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jul 17 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Out of His Head?"

Man, "Out of His Head" was six episodes ago - that's basically a full quarter of the season. Not a short amount of time by that method of judgement, and very pronounced since the last four in a row have been exclusively about Arcee, Bulkhead and their humans.

It feels weird complaining about something like that since they're some of my favorite characters in the show, but I think the other guys need an opportunity to shine and develop as well.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users