66 replies to this topic

#41 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6930 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

I wouldn't spend $10 on it. I don't like the design or the figure shortcomings as a toy.

#42 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28235 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Nov 26 2011, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm interested in the fact that is has an official "stealth submarine" mode according to the instructions. Makes him a Triple Changer.

Wow, that's almost as bad as that transforming watch thing.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#43 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17330 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(C16 @ Nov 25 2011, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't spend $10 on it. I don't like the design or the figure shortcomings as a toy.

You don't like anything, so I don't think anybody was expecting useful input from you icon-waspy.gif.

#44 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13425 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Nov 25 2011, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd rather spend $80 on ML Soundwave than $30 on Not-Soundwave.

Frankly I'd do both since they'd occupy two different places in my collection. That being said, I sprung for the discount price - he sits in my pile of loot now.
PApddmT.jpg

#45 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

Feel the rhythm. Now alter the beat

• Citizen
  • 2760 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Soundwave toys are a major thing in my collection. Even if I don't like a toy line (Animated for example) I still buy the Soundwave. I was gonna pass on this for $60 but for $29 I think Im gonna bite. I do like how it looks sooooooo I may be able to look past its ovious flaws.

Wish me luck

rythm-court-2-o.gif

#46 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13425 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Nov 28 2011, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soundwave toys are a major thing in my collection. Even if I don't like a toy line (Animated for example) I still buy the Soundwave. I was gonna pass on this for $60 but for $29 I think Im gonna bite. I do like how it looks sooooooo I may be able to look past its ovious flaws.

Wish me luck

Yeah, I figure he'll be mostly display for me, and Megatron can rest his energon beer on the weird butt-shelf.
PApddmT.jpg

#47 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

At this price, I was considering getting him just for a "Thirdformers" display. All non-official version of characters.

#48 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

• Citizen
  • 2760 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

With all due honesty knowing his problems I can see myself regularly playing with him. I mean what happens if he breaks Im out 30 bucks oh well.
Im kinda looking at it like if I were to buy a knock off G1 Megatron for $10 just to have one to enjoy not having to worry bout breaking it.

I may even make him a custom set of crutches and call him Tiny Wave icon-fire.gif

rythm-court-2-o.gif

#49 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

I didn't know that Sonicron was a near exact copy of an existing model recorder. He seems to be a Sony M-200MC voice recorder. I even saw one selling for $25 on ebay used.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c208808ec

http://www.manualsha...ifications-9613

Attached Thumbnails

• m200mc.jpg

Edited by mignash, 30 November 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#50 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Discounted Sonicrons seem to be the rage. Robot Kingdom knocked him down to $29.

http://www.robotking...mp;CatID=41_242

#51 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 25 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Nov 25 2011, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thread revival due to BBTS sale.

So is this worth $29?

Depends on your tastes. It's an ambitious design that certainly could've used a bit more ironing out before release (expecting it to look like the concept art, however, is an impossibility). A number of joints could've been tighter, for sure, but they're all easily fixable.

The figure has some "ergonomic" issues, in that getting into nooks and crannies to pry things apart with your fingernails as intended is nigh impossible, probably requiring some tool assistance. That's my major beef with the figure. Opening the hand and head covers is tricky in this regard (but not completely impossible).

I find the figure's upper torso area looks pretty good, looks off compared to the waist/legs in static poses, but the whole figure gels better in more dynamic poses, where the flatness of the legs is hidden by angling them out somewhat.

The recorder mode is impressive, with a ton of true-to-life detail (including tampoed electronic icons and such), which is really the best thing about the figure.

I've had this in hand for a bit now. Out of package, I was really let down by it, but now that I've had time to tinker with it and become more familiar with it, I'm starting to really warm to it.

The flaws are everything mx-01 archon pointed out above. My biggest issues with the figure are the same aforementioned "ergonomics". The hand and head covers are the primary culprits along with the post for the shoulder mounted cannon that is so recessed inside the piece that there's no possible way you could pry it out with your fingernail. I wish the head fit inside the back better than it did. I already accidentally made a tiny stress mark on the back panel because I didn't have the head in the back cavity just so and then tried to force the back panel shut.

The shoulders are kind of loose, but the main ball joints are solid enough that I'm not having any major problem with poses. The right upper arm swivel is way too loose though. The waist joints that allow forward and backward leg movement are real loose too. I'm going to need to dissassemble the waist and try some crazy gluing to stiffen up the joints there. I can get him to stand, but he'll tip forward at the waist if I'm not careful.

That's really the other flaw with the figure. I'm needing to fix it up to get it where it should be. I already had to shave some plastic off of the left forearm peg so that it would be able to slide upwards in the slot on the torso so it could be flush with the right arm in alt mode. I had a heck of a time getting the cassette door to stay closed in alt mode, and even when I managed to get it shut the mechanism is on a hair trigger. There's a peg on the right wrist when you put the hand inside the forearm that sits on top of the eject button. The idea is that you press the "stop/eject" button in alt mode and it pushes the wrist which pushes the little red eject button on the torso. I'm thinking just shaving that peg on the wrist just a hair should fix this problem. There's some kind of issue with the right leg panel where I can't get it to collapse properly like it does on the left side when going to alt mode. The panel pops off easy enough, i just need to figure out what's not catching like it should when I go to collapse it.

I'm complaining and complaining about this figure, yet, he's growing on me. He actually looks really nice, and once you're used to handling him, you find he's more durable than you thought. Plastic quality is pretty decent. I'd recommend him for $29 if you're not afraid of fixing the various looseness and part issues mentioned above.

#52 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 4033 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just noticed that BBTS has him listed at 29.99 again.

So I broke down & got him for this price, hope I'm not too disappointed. Also grabbed an Autoscout from Digital Toys, which still has a few of those.

Can't say that Not Frenzy & Not Rumble interest me in the slightest. However, I admit their Nightfang (not Ratbat) has caught my eye. Of course, if it comes in a two pack with Savage (Not Ravage) I hope it looks more like this & not like this.

Still, surprised that BTS didn't split up Tremor & Frequency between the two molds. Also, I wonder why the went with Ravage, instead of a Laserbeak update.

Edited by Kevin S, 31 December 2011 - 09:55 PM.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#53 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 32227 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I got Nightfang and Savage today. I had been excited about Savage, but in person my favorite thing about him is that he didn't cost more and I don't know what my second favorite thing is. He's a mess and he doesn't hold together really well. Nightfang is pretty neat. I'm not a Ratbat fan, but this is a pretty cool design.

#54 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

• Citizen
  • 2760 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Apr 3 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got Nightfang and Savage today. I had been excited about Savage, but in person my favorite thing about him is that he didn't cost more and I don't know what my second favorite thing is. He's a mess and he doesn't hold together really well. Nightfang is pretty neat. I'm not a Ratbat fan, but this is a pretty cool design.

Same here I just got my set today and I love Nightfang (the reason I bought the set). His hip-slide area is a little loose but other than that he is pretty solid. I cant say Im happy with Savage. All his shoulder joints popped off and wouldn't you believe it but they slid his tail into place during assembly so it got glued into place. icon-wheelie.gif icon-wildride.gif icon-fire.gif
I cant say I wasn't surprised but I will say this Nightfang is gonna look real good perched on my Tinywaves' shoulder

rythm-court-2-o.gif

#55 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 28408 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Sooooo, basically more of the same, qualitywise?
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#56 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Apr 3 2012, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Axaday @ Apr 3 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here I just got my set today and I love Nightfang (the reason I bought the set). His hip-slide area is a little loose but other than that he is pretty solid. I cant say Im happy with Savage. All his shoulder joints popped off and wouldn't you believe it but they slid his tail into place during assembly so it got glued into place. icon-wheelie.gif icon-wildride.gif icon-fire.gif
I cant say I wasn't surprised but I will say this Nightfang is gonna look real good perched on my Tinywaves' shoulder

Did you try pulling up on the tail? It slides up before it can lower down so the tail is longer than you initially think it is.

I had seen some really nice pics over at TFW of notRatbat, and I caved on this minion set over the weekend because of it. They arrived today. I really like the Ratbat, and the Ravage isn't as bad in person. Not that I would recommend the set for the Ravage anyway, but it's suprisingly poseable. I have him in a sitting pose which I like. If they would have engineered it so the mid front leg articulation looked more natural he'd be much nicer. I don't even mind the emaciation as much as I do those front legs.

#57 mattski

mattski

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Citizen
  • 2182 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sonicron is (still) on sale at BBTS for $20.25 - in case anyone is interested...

#58 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28941 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

If there are still any left at that price after Botcon, I -may- bite.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#59 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6933 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Apr 12 2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There should be. BBTS has 359 of them right now.

Even at $20, there should be a few left.
"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#60 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Solarstorm @ Apr 12 2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Apr 12 2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There should be. BBTS has 359 of them right now.

Even at $20, there should be a few left.

Did Joel hugely overestimage how popular he thought this figure was going to be or did get a good deal in bulk?

It was a decent price at $29, and I'll more than recommend it at $20. Just be prepared to do some fix-ups. Since I've tightened some of the joints, trimmed some of the excess flash that was causing some transformation issues, and had help from a fellow Allsparker on getting the perfect faction sticker for the chest, he went from "eh, ok." to "Hmm, pretty cool!". I became happy enough with him that I even bought some BTS minions for him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users