1190 replies to this topic

#1 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Looks like they've been Squatted.

Edited by Rinshan Kaihou, 19 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#2 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7917 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

Or, y'know, its a makeshift "Codex" to use while the new one is being made. This happened to Blood Angels a while back before they got their new one. If they'd been "Squatted" then GW would be pretending like they didn't exist.

Edited by Pennpenn, 10 June 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#3 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think it depends on their sales from this point. Rumour is that they're going to release a five-sisters model box and some repentia and stuff that'll supposedly be convertable to most of the army list.

But if that doesn't sell well I don't see much future for the army personally.

#4 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7917 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

I think the main reason for a sub-codex at this point is because they probably don't want to release a new Inquisition codex so near the Grey Knights codex, but so much of the game has moved away from the Witch Hunter's codex, like the allies system, that just releasing something like that will just tidy it up somewhat. Obviously how much attention they get in future depends on their sellability, but unlike the Squats (for instance), they can't really be just written out of existence now. I really do think this is just meant to be a stopgap measure rather than the final death rattle for the Sisters. But we'll see.

#5 The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Pose as a team, because JIVE JUST GOT REAL

• Citizen
  • 5678 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

I am disapointed, but I'm not surprised. Mat Ward does seem to have... issues with the Sisters of Battle, if the new Grey Knight book has anything to do with it. Also, GW's target market seems to be at the "girls are icky" stage. Both add up to a situation where the Sisters are going to be ignored in favour of more manly power-armoured spess mehreens, but in a variety of hats.

I doubt they'll be truly Squatted (Entirely ignored, have a Hive Fleet dropped on them) but they might get scaled back to the level of support the AdMech now get (Which is to say none). Which is a shame, because the metal Sisters were cracking models.

?5 says Black Templars will be taking their slot in the codex release queue.

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Mar 13 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't buy a Porsche *just* for how it looks, after all. It's got to perform, too. Maybe tie you up, if you're into that.

"Pack up the tea, boys! We're joining the Space Marines!"

#6 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Aww. The Sisters are awesome.

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 31180 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Some raging fan boy will update the last rule set into the next one if they do get squatted out of existance. Nothing will stop people from being able to play the sisters in up to date games.

#8 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Incidentally, I'm getting back into Warhammer by repairing my Emperor's Children army. I made up a fun but not especially competitive list if anyone wants this to become a general warhammer thread.

#9 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7917 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

To be honest I kinda see the codex in White Dwarf as a positive thing, in that they're still doing something with the army to get it up to date, instead of letting it languish until it gets rereleased, like for instance, Necrons, or Dark Eldar. Maybe I'm just being naive, but it feels better than being pessimistic.

#10 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow

Davadonya motherhuggers

• Citizen
  • 2103 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

i miss the days when white dork would put alternate rules and army lists in it and not just a bunch of rigged battle reports. paint articles are still useful though.

#11 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4743 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

I hope the Dark Eldar proved to GW that if you make nice enough looking models, they're going to sell.
On them twitters

#12 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7917 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

I just wish the Daemonettes could have been as good as the Dark Eldar models. Or, well, just not so bad.

#13 The Ambassador

The Ambassador

• Citizen
  • 5678 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Jun 12 2011, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wish the Daemonettes could have been as good as the Dark Eldar models. Or, well, just not so bad.

Should just recast the last batch of metal ones into resin.
You don't buy a Porsche *just* for how it looks, after all. It's got to perform, too. Maybe tie you up, if you're into that.

#14 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

Anyone know if GW is still doing anything with Warmaster? Was always more interested in the big battles than anything else.

#15 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7917 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

I'm fairly sure you can still get the models from GW, and I think the rules are free to get now, but GW haven't really done anything to do Epic scale for some time.

#16 The Ambassador

The Ambassador

• Citizen
  • 5678 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

Warmaster is dead in the water. You can get the rules for free, and plenty of third parties make 6mm Fantasy figures, so you're not left high and dry when the current "official" molds wear out.

I dunno if this is the place to bring it up, but I've got my hands on the Alpha Test of Mantic's Sci-Fi game, Warpath. From what I've seen? Knocks 40k into a cocked hat, especially in simulating "big" games. My only serious problem so far is that, like 40k, there's a universal movement characteristic and a slew of special rules for different speeds, rather than just a seperate "Move" stat. The concept art for the Forgefathers looks tasty as well, which just goes to show how much GW dropped the ball on their own Dorfs in Space concept. Can't wait to see the Marauders, although I'd prefer it if they moved a bit further list-wise from Orks. A public Beta should be out by the end of the month with any luck.

#17 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

I?ll just leave this here...seems appropriate enough.

And I agree with Ambassador?s assessment of the rules, good stuff overall, with some hiccups.
I already dug out my Deathwing (using the forgeguard rules) and I?ll try and get some games in against a mate?s orks.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac, 12 June 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#18 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Cool, but I'll wait for Mantic's molding skills to improve before I start buying them.

Citadel Minitures are just so good.

#19 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

I think you mean sculpting and design, the molding itself is top notch with Mantic (done by Renedra, the guys who previously worked for GW).

I don?t plan to buy any Mantic Scifi models either, since I already have too many miniatures as it is, but I?m glad to have a set of rules in which I can use my existing models (Citadel, Mongoose, Heartbreaker, Target, whatever). I really like the 40k background and imagery, but the game itself is severly lacking, so it?s nice to have a better and more streamlined ruleset available.

#20 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

See for me, I enjoy GW miniatures and their rules sets. I just refuse to play the game of 'buy this while we keep upping our prices and offering less'.

I have enough GW stuff to paint forever, so I can always play. I just don't buy anymore

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users