Photo

The IDW TMNT comic thread

173 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Edited by Mark Pellegrini, 02 May 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#2 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Is this a reprint of the first Mirage comic?

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#3 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

They got Kevin Eastman to do covers?

and is this a continuation of the Mirage stuff?

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#4 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Wow. Now I'm kinda interested.

#5 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2958 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

There's a veeeery small Isz vibe from heads of the Turtles on that Sam Keith cover. Not particularly attractive looking really. And Mikey's 'chucks' chains are too long.

(Yay, The Maxx! I got a letter printed in issue #25 of that series! icon-fire.gif )

#6 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6208 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Jun 5 2011, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mirage series WILL be getting a series of oversized hardcover collections beginning this Fall, though. The first volume will contain issues #1-7, Raphael #1 and several pages of notes from Kevin Eastman.

Sold! I have those big treasury collections from the 80s, but they're looking a little worn, and they don't include the solo one-shots.

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Jun 5 2011, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a reboot as well, starting over from scratch. According to Waltz, it'll stay true to the original Mirage series but will incorporate ideas from other Turtles media, too.

Double sold! Cause unless those IDW collections are extremely comprehensive and successful, I doubt I'll ever be caught up on the Mirage continuity.

#7 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

http://kevineastman.deviantart.com/

Kevin's got his own DA page.

http://comic-con.dev.../blog/42529977/

Plus a little bio and a Q&A

I already have the TMNT Collected Book Volume 1 that has issues 1-11 plus the Raph, Fugitoid, Mikey, Donny and Leo oneshots. Even at that though, I'd be completely sold at an oversized hardcover collection.

I can't wait to see what IDW has in store for the Turtles. I've been kinda going through a turtles withdrawel ever since CW stopped running the show.
New screen name, new avatar, new title, new sig...I just don't know who I am anymore!

#8 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2933 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

That cover makes it look like it's done by a junior high school student.

#9 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55512 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

I see Sam Keith's art is as offensive and visually irritating as ever (IE: It still sucks)

#10 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Interest piqued. I will give the first few issues a try.

#11 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 23067 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Aug 11 2011, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.tmnt-ninj...com/blog/?p=262

IDW's TMNT #1 will be shipping with THIRTEEN variant covers counted thus far, with no doubt more on the way.

Oh IDW.

That's gotta be like a worlds record or something...

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#12 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Umm, I'll probably try for the Raph varient, but I am not going to try to get them all. I like me some turtles, but I'm not that hardcore.
New screen name, new avatar, new title, new sig...I just don't know who I am anymore!

#13 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10837 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Aug 11 2011, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Aug 11 2011, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.tmnt-ninj...com/blog/?p=262

IDW's TMNT #1 will be shipping with THIRTEEN variant covers counted thus far, with no doubt more on the way.

Oh IDW.

That's gotta be like a worlds record or something...

Spoken like someone who missed the 90s.

-ZacWilliam, Seriously I wouldn't even be surprised if the record hit triple digits for something Image related or other.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#14 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 5081 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

IDW had that Godzilla#1 promotion that had like 80 variant covers.

#15 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

So, I just got finished reading issue #1.

I like that everyone's in red bandana's again. It doesn't seem to be quite as grim as the original comics, but not quite as light hearted as the TV series either. I'm not sure I know what kind of tone they're going for yet, but it's got me intrigued enough to want the next issue.

I'm not sure how I feel about what they're doing with the back story. April seems to be working for Stockman, which is right in line with a couple of the continuities.

But it seems like they've completely changed the back-story on the turtles and Splinter themselves. HIGHLIGHT to view:
Instead of getting slimed by a stray cannister of ooze down in a sewer, it looks like they're being deliberately experimented on in a science lab. Which makes more sense in a way I guess. Again, I'll have to reserve judgement as to whether or not I like the change.

I enjoyed it. So far they haven't done anything to turn me away. I'll definetly pick up the next one. But with such big changes from what I'm used to right off the bat, I don't know...I mean, they have Kevin Eastman on board writing the story, so I think we're in good hands. But I really want to see where they're going with this.

#16 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Nice review DrSpengler. I do agree that comic prices are ridiculous nowadays, and while you may not mind it so much, paying more for a comic makes the "decompression" all the more irratating for me. I'm spending nearly four times as much as I used to for a single issue and getting only like a tenth of the story. But that's more a gripe with the industry and I can't really blame any one title for something the whole industry's doing.

I wouldn't mind the variant covers either. I'm not one to buy the same issue again over and over just for another cover. But varients are okay in that if you're going to make the reader pay $3.99 + tax for a single issue, at least they give you a choice of what style cover you want.

So I wouldn't mind the varient covers except...I like Raphael. By the time I got to the comic shop, the only copy left was the one that the guy pulled for my reserve box. I got Donatello. Dona-freaking-tello! I would prefer Raph. I would even take a Leo...heck, I wouldn't have whined too terribly much if I'd gotten Mikey. But Donatello? Why the #@&* would anyone in their right mind want a freaking Donatello cover?!?!

#17 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 23067 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

I still hate them all having red headbands, I don't care if its how they were orginally I prefer them having their own colors since unless there weapons are in the shot or names are mentioned its hard to tell them apart otherwise.

Other then that I enjoyed it alot. And will pick up the next issue.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#18 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

I don't know that I have a hard-fast preference between multi-colored or all-red. I grew up on the Fred Wolf cartoon, so I honestly don't mind whenever they use the multi-colored bandana's.

But I do like the all-red masks too. They're how they started out and it automatically gives them that dark and back to basics feel, at least to some degree. And they're so rarely used that it's always a nice change of pace to see them used again.

In fact, they're so underused that a lot of times if I see a red-bandana'd turtle on Deviant Art that isn't Raph, you can almost count on someone replying (usually not in a very nice way) that they "used the wrong color" for that particular turtle. And man oh man do I ever wanna just slap them silly!

So yeah, I like the fact that they're using all-red for this series. I never had a problem following them in the B&W series. I'm pretty sure they'll make it so we can either tell who's saying what, or it just won't really matter here.

#19 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14620 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Aug 24 2011, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no preference either way, personally. I understand what each take represents (all-red is their "clan color" while the multi-color ones are so kids can tell them apart) but I'm pretty easygoing about it and don't mind whichever. The Mirage comics where black and white, anyway, so it's not like their having red bandanas in that title mattered. Even if they'd had multi-colored bandanas, you still wouldn't be able to tell them apart unless their weapons were showing.

I'm sure more than a few adults back in the day were appreciative for any cue they could get to figure out who was who...

I prefer the individual colors, though. Besides reflecting their personalities, in a way, it really is their most defining feature.

Actually, I rather enjoyed that the Archie comic had it where they did all wear red initially, and Splinter couldn't tell them apart... and, if memory serves, they used that to their advantage... against their enemies and Splinter!

But even so, they eventually got to their trademark colors.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#20 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7883 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

Looks like we got the same cover, Spengler. Much better than that lousy Donatello cover I got last time. I was even able to score the Kevin Eastman cover...which is still sitting pretty, un-opened and in the plastic sleeve and cardboard backing it came in. Two really nice looking covers

As for the story, I'm having to re-register my complaints about decompression. I realize it's become the industry standard. But it just seems so particularly glaring here. Not much happens in any one issue, and at $3.99 a pop, is it too much to ask for more story?

Still, I'm still liking what they're doing. I have to agree that 15 months does seem like a very short time to learn any form of combat with as much skill as they're supposed to have. I still haven't made a judgement on what I think about the new origen...mainly because two issues in, we know precious little.

Going back to decompression, at the end of the first issue of the original series we knew: Splinter came from Japan with his master Yoshi to escape dishonor and retribution from the foot clan for murdering Oroko Nagi; Splinter learned Ninjitsu from Yoshi; Yoshi was killed by Oroko Saki, Nagi's brother; Splinter was witness to a truck accident which left him and four baby turtles covered in goo down in a sewer; Splinter taught the turtles ninjitsu as he had learned it from his master Yoshi. On top of that origen story we also got down to the revenge story between the turtles and Saki. That all was resolved in the very first issue of the original TMNT.

Here, two issues in, all we know is that the Turtles were experimented on in a lab and covered with goo when Ninja's tried to steal some research. There was a cat involved with also getting covered in goo. Casey got beat up by his father. That's it. That's pretty much all we know two issues in.

How did the turtles learn ninjitsu? Did Splinter teach them? If so, where did he learn it from? How did they learn it in such a short time? Any kind of mastery in combat should take years! What's the cat's beef with the turtles?

So, yeah, the decompression just kinda sticks in my craw, especially with what comics go for these days.

However, assuming they do wrap up the origen...and soon...and have it make sense, I'm all for what they're doing. We've all heard the old origen story several times over now. The fact that they're taking it in a new direction is a welcome bit of fresh air. I can't wait to see things once the origen's finally explained, Raph joins back up with his brothers, and we learn what role April has in all this. Once all the ducks are in a row, this could be a really good series. I just hope they don't take forever getting their ducks in a row. I don't want to be half a year into a series and still stuck on the darn origen story.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users