Botcon 2011 Hall of Fame Thread!

200 replies to this topic

#81 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7742 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Actually, yeah I am quite suprised that Shocky didn't get the crown, since I would have figured this whole thing was as rigged as all the shps at the Battle of Trafalgar put together.

#82 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12496 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Jun 5 2011, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a bit disappointed that the fandom can't get over its "BW=superior" hang-up. Especially when it's clear that Hasbro is not overly interested in doing more with it (remember the BM non-anniversary?). While both Shockwave and Waspinator did appear in Animated (and both with good roles, mind you - to the point that I'm still disappointed we haven't gotten a true Wasp from a movie BB toy), guess which one's in the major summer blockbuster this year? Hasbro has made it clear that the majority of the legacy characters they want to move forward with are G1 based.

The whole point behind a "Hall of Fame" is to celebrate and memorialize something's past, not to define its future. They inducted Michael Bay this year too, and he's said he's ending his involvement with the brand after DOTM.

Edited by awa64, 05 June 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#83 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 3740 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Jun 5 2011, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, yeah I am quite suprised that Shocky didn't get the crown, since I would have figured this whole thing was as rigged as all the shps at the Battle of Trafalgar put together.

But you've got to consider that a majority of the online voters might be too young to remember G1 with as much affection. Not that I chagrin Waspy winning the gold, but I wonder if there might be some age bias playing some part in the results.

Not that any Hall of Fame is any different. I think some of them have set up standards to try & tone that down, but it still happens to a degree.

Edited by Kevin S, 05 June 2011 - 06:53 AM.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#84 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4675 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Jun 5 2011, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(gargunkle @ Jun 5 2011, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of the nominees, I'm glad Waspinator won, but I'm still interested in BW Megatron for a next year's win rather than Rattrap or BA.

The hurdle for that is whether or not Hasbro considers BW Megatron a separate character from the Megatron alread inducted into the Hall of Fame. The current indication is, uh, "not."

I do realize that, and if they think that BW Megs = G1 Megs, that's frustrating.

(remember the BM non-anniversary?).

BW != BM though. I didn't like BM when it aired originally. I re-watched it recently (within the last 6 months) and still disliked it.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#85 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22666 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Blot @ Jun 5 2011, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Database @ Jun 4 2011, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fishbug @ Jun 5 2011, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The REAL Chopperface @ Jun 5 2011, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah Detour! What's wrong with you!?

reminding people of Megatokyo like that, When we coukld be doing something useful! Like planning strategies to make Erector win

Step 1: Create a parallel universe where Hasbro will humor the idea of a non-entity like Erector getting into the Hall of Fame twice.

You mean like Waspinator who's sole purpose was to killed over and over again? Least Dinobot was important to the Story, Waspinator was just there to be the Butt monkey.

That's still something. Much as I'm luke-warm on Waspinator, he's still a character. He grumbled and complained about his lot in life, he was the short end of every stick that was given to him, he was simple minded but self aware...

Erector, meanwhile, is a semi-decent toy that has a dubious name that makes people like The Real Chopperface titter.

He's also likely giggling to himself because I said "***".

Edit: THAT'S a swear filter word? Well shut my mouth. Not even a cute replacement word like "hug" or "jive"?

Waspinator s a gimmick, being blown up, with a cool voice, hats all he's remembered for. Which is the same reason people thought Soundwave shouldn't get in last year, becuase all he was was a gimmick, ejecting tape army, with a cool voice. I also agree with Octavius Prime. BW was good, but is over with. And if Hasbro was to do something new with it, it'd likely end up as well received as IDW's BW books, becuase it wouldn't be the same series. At the rate this is going, this might as well just be renamed "Beast Wars Hall of Fame" and auto induct the whole cast so we can move on. I'm fine with Dinobot last year for "Hey there are other guys then just the early G1 guys you keep recycling" and was why I was for Erector "Hey there are literally forgotten G1 characters that we'd like to see again!" But no, people have get annoyed becuase of his damn name rather then what HASBRO put him up there for, which they stated in the profile they gave him.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#86 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8491 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Gargunkle - Sure, BW and BM aren't the same thing. But they are two chapters in the same story, just like how Energon and Cybertron were sequels to Armada and G2 was a sequel to G1.

And awa64 - I'm more trying to point out that, since Shockwave has a more certain future with the brand, that continues to build upon his past use as a character and makes him more important to the brand as a whole. One thing's for sure - if this were next year and we were debating whether Shockwave or Waspinator were more worthy of a Hall of FAME - that is, where being well-known matters - there would be no question whatsoever.

Edited by Octavius Prime, 05 June 2011 - 07:50 AM.

#87 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 3948 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(TriBlurr @ Jun 5 2011, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tfw2005 is reporting that Erector's video had designs for g2, Beast Wars (he is a beaver) and Animated versions of the character. lol.

Hopefully these will be online soon.

I laughed REALLY hard at that for some reason, and it wasn't even because of the beaver thing.
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#88 Redshift

Redshift
  • Supporter
  • 297 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

I hope they take this opportunity to make a Cyberverse playset with Erector- Erector and his ilk were great toys, and Hasbro is already making new toys with the same mode of play.
I voted for Erector, but in the long run I didn't want him to win, I just wanted him to get mentioned. He is obviously not in the same league as Waspinator, Shockwave, etc. Being a runnerup is a sufficient honor for a teeny Micromaster with no fiction but a great toy.

#89 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12496 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Jun 5 2011, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gargunkle - Sure, BW and BM aren't the same thing. But they are two chapters in the same story, just like how Energon and Cybertron were sequels to Armada and G2 was a sequel to G1.

And awa64 - I'm more trying to point out that, since Shockwave has a more certain future with the brand, that continues to build upon his past use as a character and makes him more important to the brand as a whole. One thing's for sure - if this were next year and we were debating whether Shockwave or Waspinator were more worthy of a Hall of FAME - that is, where being well-known matters - there would be no question whatsoever.

If being in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was just down to popularity, The Monkees would be in it. (Hint: They're not.)

Inductees in "Hall of Fame"-type organizations tend to be based as at least as much on impact as influence as they are on popularity. As far as impact goes, I'd say Waspinator is at least as influential as Shockwave. As far as longevity goes... I don't think Hasbro's ever lost the trademark on Waspinator, or had to apply it to a random mini-con to keep it because it was about to expire and they hadn't released a toy of the character for a while.

#90 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2210 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Waspinator got my votes, and if Sky-Byte is on the ballot next year, he'll get mine then. Those are just two characters I like: I am not a Beast Wars fan (long story-I like a lot from Beast Wars, but not the end product) but I am a big RiD fan. If Dinobot and Waspinator had been on the opposite year's ballots, I'd have totally been voting Erector this year: Hasbro handled his nomination perfectly and he does represent unintentionally (until proven otherwise) names, and obscure toys/characters in general. The latter would seem to contradict a Hall of Fame, but not for Transfomers: next years greats seem to be homages of someone's favorite obscure character from yesteryear. Toxitron has gone from being a footnote to a convention exclusive... maybe he'll be a show villain later in Prime. If they can make them exciting and interesting, redeco character do make great sense, especially for a CGI Transformers series.

I really wonder if there needs to be pre-designated slots for the nominees to fill instead of just five "for anyone", and perhaps if the automatic inductee process needs to be stepped up a little quicker. We've had two years of "four G1, one BW" character. Fan tastes vary, but I would assume that most people would be like me: if I didn't like any of the characters nominated, I'd still vote at least a few times for a character that represented my preferred Transformers series. Inspired by the desire of some posters to see a female character nominated, if next year we saw it come down to Arcee (G1), Elita-1 (G1), Blackarachnia (BW), Airrazor (BW), and Override (Cybertron), I think my money would be on Override. What appears to be the two largest wings of fandom would be split, while we get one nominee that could easily be a rallying point for Unicron Trilogy fans as well as G1 and BW "anti-fans" who are tired of hearing specific fandoms crow about how great their series is. icon-arcee.gif If next year we got a choice between Blaster (G1), Cheetor (BW), Rattrap (BW), and Rhinox (BW)... well I'd actually vote Rhinox (loved him in BW and BM), but splitting the BW franchise four ways while giving a single character for G1 fans and BW anti-fans to rally around? icon-primal.gif

So I guess I am just wondering if things would work better if no more than two characters of a particular series would be accepted as nominees, or at the very least no more than three!

Edited by Otaku, 05 June 2011 - 08:10 AM.

Jesus loves you!

No, really!

#91 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6443 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

I am beyond stoked over Waspinator's victory - partly because he was who I was voting for, partly because I figured it'd be Grimlock, and partly because I'm just glad Erecetor didn't win. And Walky didn't even have a Waspy campaign like he did with Dinobot this year, which just PROVES the genuine love for Beast Wars that exists in this quantity.

It's surely a certainty Grimlock and Shockwave will be two of the auto-inductees next year anyway.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 05 June 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#92 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Jun 5 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a bit disappointed that the fandom can't get over its "BW=superior" hang-up. Especially when it's clear that Hasbro is not overly interested in doing more with it (remember the BM non-anniversary?). While both Shockwave and Waspinator did appear in Animated (and both with good roles, mind you - to the point that I'm still disappointed we haven't gotten a true Wasp from a movie BB toy), guess which one's in the major summer blockbuster this year? Hasbro has made it clear that the majority of the legacy characters they want to move forward with are G1 based.

The whole point behind a "Hall of Fame" is to celebrate and memorialize something's past, not to define its future. They inducted Michael Bay this year too, and he's said he's ending his involvement with the brand after DOTM.

Happy days are here again!

#93 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32085 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(TriBlurr @ Jun 5 2011, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beast Wars (he is a beaver)

I WANT THIS TOY

Also, woo, Waspy!

Edited by Esser-Z, 05 June 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#94 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7413 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Oh goodie!!

#95 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12496 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jun 5 2011, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you're leaving too?

#96 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1293 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jun 5 2011, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring on the endless debate about how this was fixed!

Debate? I thought it was an open secret that Hasbro's "vote once a day" rule could be worked around.

#97 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19811 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Jun 5 2011, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait wait wait, Erector was to be a beaver?! That's gotta be a joke on someone's part- I mean, that someone decided to slip in- I mean, gah!

Animated Erector was said to have been intended to become Devastator's pants. So yeah, almost certainly intentional.

That said, an animal known for its dam-building tendencies seems pretty appropriate for a guy who turns into a construction vehicle and is named after building things and/or a construction toy.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#98 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12793 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jun 5 2011, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More recently he said he may stay on, but Shia's probably out, since he doesn't like the wire rig stuff. Sorry.
(,>.<, ) ....******

#99 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 10838 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(Database @ Jun 5 2011, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But no, people have get annoyed becuase of his damn name rather then what HASBRO put him up there for, which they stated in the profile they gave him.

HASBRO didn't put him up for anything. A bunch of immature fanboys started a campaign based on a penis joke, and Hasbro was nice enough to not just tell them off for it.

Now, clearly some people have chosen to take it beyond that and apply some measure of real meaning to the nomination, but let's not pretend we don't know what was at the heart of it all along.
"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#100 G1MarvelBlaster

G1MarvelBlaster

Give me coffee!

• Citizen
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

was voting for Big Grim, mostly as a fan of Marvel UK back in the day, where Grimlock was just awesome. Not unhappy to see Wazzpy get in though, as he's my favorite BW Predacon, with Rhinox just edging him out as fave BW character. So far, I still have 1 episode left on my watch through, 'Nemesis Part 2' and then I move on to Beast Machines)

I do hope Sky-Byte gets on the ballot next year, as RiD, despite its guilty pleasure aspects is my single favorite TF cartoon. And whoever said Grimlock & Shockwave will be automatic inductions next year likely has it right. Would like to see Simon Furman and Susan Blu as the 2012 human nominees.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users