TCC Roundtable

100 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 10236 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#2 Daytonus

Daytonus

Boring

• Retired Staff
  • 11761 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

about to start...one sec!

#3 Shattered

Shattered

It's time

• Citizen
  • 3976 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Pics of next year's TCC exclusives are up at TCC's Twitter Feed.

Runamok and Runabout look amazing! icon-silverbolt.gif
Posted Image

#4 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11357 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

That probably means no official Runabout/Runamuck in Generations for while. Not that I'm very interested in these, Wheeljack doesn't feel like he fits as a base all that well.

At this rate a third party company will be on them pretty quick...

#5 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Man, I really wish that Drift was the free Club toy. I have no real interest in that Runabout. I guess he can hang out with my Cybertron version, or I could sell him...
Hopefully there will be some people who buy the Drift/Runamuck two pack who'd want to trade Drift for Runabout. Wait, they'll already have him, most likely, since he's the free club toy. Crap.

Edited by Octavius Prime, 04 June 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#6 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

So Classic style Runamuck (the white one), as member figure? Can we make him SG Runabout?

So SG Drift is Marvel's Deadpool?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2e693sw.jpg
  • 2djt8i8.jpg
  • ddi7a1.jpg

Edited by mignash, 04 June 2011 - 06:16 PM.

#7 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 3465 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Jun 4 2011, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, I really wish that Drift was the free Club toy. I have no real interest in that Runabout. I guess he can hang out with my Cybertron version, or I could sell him...

The way they did it is smarter/more devious.
You're getting one half of a duo for free. Interest in buying the other will probably be higher.
(Although, How do they relate to the Elite Guard storyline? I thought the three incentive figures after the nexus guys were supposed to be related.)

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 04 June 2011 - 05:52 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#8 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6358 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Not making one of the Battlechargers the Tracks version of the WJ mold seems like a bit of a missed opportunity for an easy differentiation.

#9 hupla

hupla
  • Citizen
  • 210 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jun 4 2011, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not making one of the Battlechargers the Tracks version of the WJ mold seems like a bit of a missed opportunity for an easy differentiation.

It'll be cheaper for them. of course the price for US will still be crazy high, but cheaper for the club

Edited by hupla, 04 June 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#10 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 16808 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hahahahahhahahahahaha subscription figures.
Most Joe fans are outright condemning that idea, considering the service is incredibly expensive, for a LOT of toys, ordered not only sight unseen, but CHARACTER unseen too.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#11 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jun 4 2011, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahahahhahahahahaha subscription figures.

It makes sense, that's what Mattel do with their He-Man line. Some fans WILL want to collect everything, and won't want to risk missing out.

#12 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 16808 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yes, but that and SDCC exclusives are pretty much all He-Man fans get.

By comparison, TF and Joe fans get tons of retail toys, huge convention box sets, fan club membership figures, other figures to buy... and in this economy, after all those expenses, signing up for twelve toys sight unseen in incredibly unwise.

Someone on a Joe board really summed it up best:

I'm the rare kind of enthusiast who, if he had the disposable income, would probably buy a subscription and just eat or sell at a loss those figures I didn't really want, even at $25 per.

But the pricing and the timing of this seems to indicate a total lack of economic awareness on the Club's part. Food and gas are taking much larger bites out of average folks' wallets these days, and responsible adult collectors aren't shorting those critical items (or their 401k contributions and kids' college savings plans) to buy more toys. Especially not high-priced exclusives.

Even if they're banking on the irresponsible/impulsive collector who doesn't mind assuming high-interest credit debt to feed his plastic crack habit, don't they realize they'll be competing with themselves next year when guys at or near their credit limits have to choose between this subscription and going to the Con or buying a homefront set?

It's just short sighted (you'd think they'd prefer to guarantee a more modest recurring revenue stream rather than bankrupting their target market in a single year) and, frankly, greedy.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#13 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

It's just an additional option though isn't it? No-one's being forced to?

#14 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus
  • Citizen
  • 1936 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jun 4 2011, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By comparison, TF and Joe fans get tons of retail toys, huge convention box sets, fan club membership figures, other figures to buy... and in this economy, after all those expenses, signing up for twelve toys sight unseen in incredibly unwise.

Of course, as usual, Joe fans don't know squat aside from a "2 figure a month subscription service", coming in late 2011, and the first two will be Previously-cancelled-figures Arctic Scarlett and Nano BAT. I'm sure the Club knows they can't pull a Mattel and ask for a blind faith in such a service with an up front commitment. I'm personally expecting the first 1/2 to 3/4s of the figures to be revealed when the Club is ACTUALLY READY TO GO THROUGH with it, and probably a general idea of the rest.
Which is a hell of a lot more than what Mattel gives out.

And considering how much the Club stuff costs, I'm completely baffled by any "price issues" that might be brought up. If they are in the same ballpark as prior exclusives ($20-25 a figure basically), it is nothing new. Most are apt to be complaining because most still view the entire situation as "Hasbro's screwing fans over by letting FunPub make figures that SHOULD be at retail. For $5"

That said, I personally feel the Transformers fans are probably a better target for such a service (even though I understand that with Hasbro and Takara's current output, much more difficult than Joe). In general, the Joe collectors tend to come across as "cheap" while TF fans seem more apt to spend on higher ticket and exclusive items.

#15 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41396 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jun 4 2011, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Giving one Tracks' legs would make them less accurate in robot mode than they could have been. Their original toys both have the front of the car as their feet making Wheeljack the best version for both of them.

I think many people would prefer accuracy over change for the sake of change.

Edited by Bass X0, 04 June 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#16 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus
  • Citizen
  • 1936 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Blueshift @ Jun 4 2011, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"But I HAVE to get this obscure repaint/comic character or retro repaint for my collection! They should be available at Walmart RIGHT NOW for $5, Hasbro is totally screwing over the real fans that keep this brand alive!"

That kind of sums up the Joe collector response to that.

#17 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 16808 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Jun 4 2011, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Blueshift @ Jun 4 2011, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"But I HAVE to get this obscure repaint/comic character or retro repaint for my collection! They should be available at Walmart RIGHT NOW for $5, Hasbro is totally screwing over the real fans that keep this brand alive!"

That kind of sums up the Joe collector response to that.

So, this is for the few hundred fans who can afford to buy anything and everything, then?

What kind of profit are they hoping to get on such a small production run?

#18 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9161 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

But they're exclusives. The name of the game has always been cough up the dough or go home.

I get what you're saying, but even in these economic times, I fail to see how this is any different than any other exclusive in the history of the world.

#19 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12769 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

I don't understand the Fort Max question. 80 tools? What does that mean? 80 sheets of parts? O_o Are they talking about the G1 toy??

Edit--yeah, cross-checked with some other reports and it sounds like the question was for a Fort Max reissue.

Edited by Might Gaine, 04 June 2011 - 07:05 PM.

(,>.<, ) ....******

#20 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 16808 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Jun 4 2011, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But they're exclusives. The name of the game has always been cough up the dough or go home.

I get what you're saying, but even in these economic times, I fail to see how this is any different than any other exclusive in the history of the world.

Because, as the post I quoted points out... the Club basically ends up competing with themselves.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users