27 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

I saw this on CAD this morning, and felt the need to share.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Alright, I know there's some hate for him going on here, so let me set the record straight: Tim buckley has nothing to do with this game, I simply found the link on his website. Being a huge fan of all things undead and survival, I then felt the need to SHARE.

Anyway: Indie dev, being released in patched stages much like minecraft, and featuring the zombie survival we all crave. Whats not to like? I'm going to watch this for a while, but probably still end up buying before beta.

#2 Bigbot

Bigbot
  • Citizen
  • 9769 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

Yeh I think I'll be playing this at great length

#3 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34921 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

I might give it a try.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Pulled my normal habits. I torrented a copy, and probably buy it if its any good. Though I haven't even played it yet, I seem to have already budgeted for a paypal dump.

#5 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

Finally got to play it. I burnt the house down, killed myself in a fire and attracted every zombie between here and the hero city. So yeah. Turn off the oven, smoke detectors BAD!

#6 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Alright, starting to like the... possibilities of this game. It's a tech demo right now, so you die and quick no matter what. I made it all the way through the toturial without getting bit, hurt, setting the house on fire, anything, and some guy walks in with a shotgun and decides he wants the house. He kills the wife, and I ran for it. Right out the front door, round the back, in the kitchen, turned on the oven on my way out so the house would burn down, out the front and into the rest of the city. They actually programmed quite a bit of space to the place, so lots of undead, good terrain...

It's a buyer, thats for sure.

#7 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5664 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Anyone know if or how this would run on a netbook?
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#8 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

I just ran it on my little netbook (1.6 ghz, 1 gig of ram.) and it ran at basically full speed. I did encounter some problems: namely the wife wasn't on the bed (though you were still interacting with her.) and it couldn't zoom. These might be because the netbook is running xp, because java isn't all up to date, or any number of other things. Going to make sure everything is up to spec and try again.

Edit: updated java, restarted the computer and tried again. Same errors, but it could related to the OS or configuration. I wanted an excuse to upgrade this thing, so I guess I got it. Either way, it runs at full speed (or ridiculously close to it.).

Edited by wonko the sane?, 05 June 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#9 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5664 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Jun 5 2011, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ran it on my little netbook (1.6 ghz, 1 gig of ram.) and it ran at basically full speed. I did encounter some problems: namely the wife wasn't on the bed (though you were still interacting with her.) and it couldn't zoom. These might be because the netbook is running xp, because java isn't all up to date, or any number of other things. Going to make sure everything is up to spec and try again.

Edit: updated java, restarted the computer and tried again. Same errors, but it could related to the OS or configuration. I wanted an excuse to upgrade this thing, so I guess I got it. Either way, it runs at full speed (or ridiculously close to it.).

I'm going to have to get on this then.

#10 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hmmm. So I installed windows 7 on the netbook. It was a portable edition, now the damn thing boots in about 30 seconds, easily half the time of before. And I ran the game (You just lost it.) but it took far longer to load, was jerky and laggy, and was still missing the wife on the bed.

So, there you go.

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Alright. It's now firmly an alpha build, and the first patch has made it... pretty hugging great actually. Zombie behavior has changed some, they tend to wander now, which makes for packs as they have a chance of capturing the attention of meandering zombies in a small number of them go by. I actually got cornered in a building while scavving, and had to retreat up stairs. Ran out of ammo, and that's all she wrote, about a hundred of them descended on me. I killed about half with 11 shells though, so... go me? I wanted to go back and kill the som'bitch what killed my wife, but... yeah.

Go, play it! Fun!

#12 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5664 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Still have not gotten this yet. I noticed it's in pounds or something rather than US currency. How does this work? Does Google check out take care of this for me? If so does it tell me how much it's going to be in $ before I buy? If not, does anyone know the conversion rate?

#13 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

Google check out knows the conversion rate of the day, so if you use a credit card like I did, then its all automatically covered for you. It wound up costing me 10 bucks about a week ago.

#14 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

Spiked bat=love. I killed hordes with it, and only died when I got too far, too tired, carried too much and couldn't find a quiet unlocked place to hunker down. 4 days, 8 hours.

#15 Varnon

Varnon

Counterpoint is a man's soul.

• Citizen
  • 9843 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Sounds really interesting. I'll get it, but I think I'm going to wait a bit untill it is more developed to avoid Minecraftitis bordem. You know, you play the content, then a patch comes out, entertaining you for another day... I want to wait just a bit so I have more content at once.
What signature?

#16 Varnon

Varnon

• Citizen
  • 9843 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hey yall, free demo!

Played it for two nights... then found out there wasn't a save function. icon-screamer.gif

Edited by Varnon, 24 June 2011 - 03:33 PM.

What signature?

#17 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

There's no save in the beta version either. It's SUPPOSED to be that way... right now anyway. See, the point of the game isn't winning, its how long you can stave off losing, so no save at the moment. I think the forums mentioned implementing a basic save functionality later, but what form it will take is a crap shoot.

#18 Varnon

Varnon

• Citizen
  • 9843 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

I get that, but it also means that its not possible to play for long periods of time.

Just because you can save doesn't mean you can go back to the last save after you die.

But there needs to be a way to suspend progress while you aren't playing.

I might play more later, but right now I only have a few minutes here and there.
What signature?

#19 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30751 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

I can last about a half an hour anyway before I do something stupid. Yeah, the lack of any kind of save file is... limiting. I figure they should make it so that it saves when you quit the game, and then deletes it after reload. No reverting to save file that way, but you can still get up and walk away if need be.

#20 Varnon

Varnon

• Citizen
  • 9843 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

Okay. Had my first real playthrough
Spoilers for anybody that may be spoiled by things.

Bandage-Check
Painkillers-Check
Raiding houses-Check (even made a sweet bat with a nail in it)

Got back to the house... was very overloaded...
Couldn't figure out how to make soup! I was just expecting to be able to open the can with a canopener.... I didn't realize the bowl was needed too.

Got really sleepy when I was trying to unload my spoils into my cabinets (I really felt the interface was very awkward here) and make soup.

Got so sleepy that I started having (zombie) halucinations! Cool touch.

Went to bed, figured out the soup thing in the morning.
Heated up the soup, went to put more things away...
And caught my house on fire. I couldn't figure out how to put it out... and I got caught on fire too... Didn't see how to move the girl so I ran. As soon as I opened the door BAM pack of zombies... I laughed.
It was fun.
(but not quite how real ovens work)
What signature?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users