• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 9017 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

If I change my name to Thomas Lake can I be one of your companions? You seem to be trying for a water theme after all.

Edited by Ramphage, 15 May 2011 - 01:16 AM.

#2 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3347 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

Well, lets see...

Susan Foreman
Ian Chesterton
Barbara Wright
Vicki Pallister
Steven Taylor
Katarina
Sara Kingdom
Dorothea "Dodo" Chaplet
Polly Wright
Ben Jackson
Polly Wright
Jamie McCrimmon
Victoria Waterfield
Zoe Heriot
Elizabeth "Liz" Shaw
Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
Sergeant John Benton
Captain Mike Yates
Josephine "Jo" Grant
Sarah Jane Smith
Harry Sullivan
Leela
K9
Romana
Adric
Nyssa of Traken
Tegan Jovanka
Vislor Turlough
Kamelion
Perpigillium "Peri" Brown
Melanie Bush
Dorothy "Ace" McShane
Dr. Grace Holloway
Rose Tyler
Adam Mitchell
Captain Jack Harkness
Mickey Smith
Donna Noble
Martha Jones
Astrid Peth
Lady Christina de Souza
Adelaide Brooke
Wilfred Mott
Amelia "Amy" Pond
River Song
Rory Williams

Wellllll, alright. But you realize that as a male, non-military companion, you'll be played mostly as comic relief and foil to the primary female lead, right? You'll also stand a fair chance of getting beaten up or otherwise manhandled when someone needs to get hurt, since violence against women is less approved of than against men.

On the plus side, you'll probably wind up as the romantic focus of the female lead, since The Doctor is exempt in most cases (Rose, Martha and River not withstanding). Sadly Amy is spoken for, and River is... inadvisable so you might have to wait a while...

Oh, also there are Jelly Babies.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 15 May 2011 - 02:07 AM.

0n39.png

#3 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 9017 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

I was not expecting an okay. Crap. I don't even know what to wear now.

And really, isn't Rory around as the great fall guy? You seem in need of a good 'might-be-evil' companion, haven't had one of those in a while.

I am however greatly intrigued by Jelly Babies. I've always wanted to try one.

Hmmm. I seem to have scared him off. *Flips through script* I must have missed a page somewhere.

Edited by Matthias Phage, 15 May 2011 - 02:39 AM.

#4 Devcon

Devcon

Whaddayamean "I'm Back"? Daddy-yo,I was never gone

• Forum Moderator
  • 10231 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 15 2011, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ian Chesterton
Steven Taylor
Ben Jackson
Jamie McCrimmon

Wellllll, alright. But you realize that as a male, non-military companion, you'll be played mostly as comic relief and foil to the primary female lead, right? You'll also stand a fair chance of getting beaten up or otherwise manhandled when someone needs to get hurt, since violence against women is less approved of than against men.

Okay I know i'm not that far off into the show (halfway through "The Invasion" story of the Second Doctor) but so far the male companions kicked ass for the most part. Listing those i've seen, we can take away the Brigadier because of his military background,same for Ben (but thn again I,ve not been fond of him for some reason) but Ian KICKED ASS. He manhandled more than he got manhandled. If he weren't a teacher, he'd be frickin' JAMES BOND. Steven wasn't as overpowered as Ian, but damn he did own his scenes as well. Hell, his "I'm not taking any more of your jive" speech to the jerkass 1st doctor cemented him as a favorite of mine forever. An while Jamie does have hs comedic relief side (mostly due to the "fish out of water" nature of his character), I still wouldn't pick up a fight against someone ready to zerg rush you William Wallace style.

Granted, I still have a LOT companins to go through and the trend will sure start later, but i'm not seeing it now icon-arcee.gif

Edited by Devcon, 15 May 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#5 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7518 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

I still hate Mickey.

#6 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 9017 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

Everyone hates Mickey. He gets better, but it just seems too little, too late.

#7 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 3347 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Ramphage @ May 15 2011, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was not expecting an okay. Crap. I don't even know what to wear now.

And really, isn't Rory around as the great fall guy? You seem in need of a good 'might-be-evil' companion, haven't had one of those in a while.

I am however greatly intrigued by Jelly Babies. I've always wanted to try one.

Hmmm. I seem to have scared him off. *Flips through script* I must have missed a page somewhere.

It was 3 in the morning. I may be a Who fan and all around Anglophile, but I don't live in the UK icon-fire.gif

Jelly Babies are ambrosia. Ok, so not really. They're actually pretty mild, flavor wise. They're not gummy either, more of a jelly bean consistency. It's an acquired taste, but one I happen to have.

Might-be-evil? Could work, but the last one of those wound up being manipulated by an old guy with a raven on his head, and he wasn't particularly great either. More whiny and selfish than anything else.

What could you bring to the role?
QUOTE(Devcon @ May 15 2011, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 15 2011, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ian Chesterton
Steven Taylor
Ben Jackson
Jamie McCrimmon

Okay I know i'm not that far off into the show (halfway through "The Invasion" story of the Second Doctor) but so far the male companions kicked ass for the most part. Listing those i've seen, we can take away the Brigadier because of his military background,same for Ben (but thn again I,ve not been fond of him for some reason) but Ian KICKED ASS. He manhandled more than he got manhandled. If he weren't a teacher, he'd be frickin' JAMES BOND. Steven wasn't as overpowered as Ian, but damn he did own his scenes as well. Hell, his "I'm not taking any more of your jive" speech to the jerkass 1st doctor cemented him as a favorite of mine forever. An while Jamie does have hs comedic relief side (mostly due to the "fish out of water" nature of his character), I still wouldn't pick up a fight against someone ready to zerg rush you William Wallace style.

Granted, I still have a LOT companins to go through and the trend will sure start later, but i'm not seeing it now icon-arcee.gif

Jamie is technically military since he was in the Highland group fighting the Red Coats. A rebel army is still an army.

Other male companions were few and far between...

Harry was a bit of a klutz and general dimwit (to the point of even getting Sarah trapped in a airless section of an old space station).
Adric was childish and rude, though he did redeem himself in the end.
Turlough was... just kinda wormy and selfish, not to mention morally questionable, though he again redeemed himself in the end.

The thing is, the original male companions for the First and Second Doctors had to be the action heroes, as William Hartnell simply couldn't take on that role himself, and Patrick Troughton's role tended away from it. As soon as Jon Pertwee took over, the male companion became less action heroes and more comedic and the female companion became more central to the story. Jamie was probably the last regular male companion (besides honorary companions, like The Brigadier) to be taken seriously, since The Doctor could now handle the physical conflicts himself.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, it wouldn't be until Captain Jack came around that we got another serious male companion, who could believably take care of himself. Mickey eventually proved himself worthy and even Rory has his moments, despite being largely played for laughs.

0n39.png

#8 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 9017 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Well, I'm actually evil or something to that extent, rather than manipulated and whiny, I'm most assuredly working my own agenda - but I love a good adventure, I'm handy with makeshift weaponry, and uh... hmmm. I can bring the Jammy Dodgers?

#9 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28794 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hey Doc, I know the truth is out there, so how about you take myself and Scully along for a ride in your blue box? I promise not to make the Mr. Potato-Head face seen to your left.

Edited by Laser-CORVUS, 15 May 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#10 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

The artist formerly known as Hornet

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Laser-CORVUS @ May 15 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Doc, I know the truth is out there, so how about you take myself and Scully along for a ride in your blue box? I promise not to make the Mr. Potato-Head face seen to your left.

Actually, the truth you've been looking for is right on Earth, it's just that you forget they even exist whenever you look away from them icon-waspy.gif

#11 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 3347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ May 15 2011, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm actually evil or something to that extent, rather than manipulated and whiny, I'm most assuredly working my own agenda - but I love a good adventure, I'm handy with makeshift weaponry, and uh... hmmm. I can bring the Jammy Dodgers?

I dunno... given how quickly Adam (who very much had his own agenda) got himself booted, I doubt you'd last very long. I could probably promise at least a one or two episode trial run. Bear in mind, if you try and pull anything, you could wind up a lot worse off than you are now. See again, Adam and his Instant Brain Reveal feature.

You might be better off as a free agent. Captain Jack style. We could bump into each other at times and then form a long lasting partnership type thing. You'd probably wind up with an honorary companionship out of it.

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ May 15 2011, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Laser-CORVUS @ May 15 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the truth you've been looking for is right on Earth, it's just that you forget they even exist whenever you look away from them icon-waspy.gif

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Although the idea of an X-Files/Who crossover intrigues me. If only because I can only imagine Mulder and Scully having a full blown mental break down at not only seeing that the supernatural does exist, but just how much of it exists practically right outside Earth's front door. The culture shock alone might kill them icon-fire.gif

Also the guns would have to go. No armed FBI agents in the TARDIS.

0n39.png

#12 TheTurnipKing

TheTurnipKing
  • Citizen
  • 2042 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 16 2011, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Although the idea of an X-Files/Who crossover intrigues me. If only because I can only imagine Mulder and Scully having a full blown mental break down at not only seeing that the supernatural does exist, but just how much of it exists practically right outside Earth's front door. The culture shock alone might kill them icon-fire.gif

An episode like that would probably have to be played from the X-Files perspective. Just treat the Doctor as yet another shadowy extraterrestrial theat. Should be easy to do, the Doctor rarely bothers to explain what he's doing anyway.

Edited by TheTurnipKing, 16 May 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#13 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 9017 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 16 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno... given how quickly Adam (who very much had his own agenda) got himself booted, I doubt you'd last very long. I could probably promise at least a one or two episode trial run. Bear in mind, if you try and pull anything, you could wind up a lot worse off than you are now. See again, Adam and his Instant Brain Reveal feature.

You might be better off as a free agent. Captain Jack style. We could bump into each other at times and then form a long lasting partnership type thing. You'd probably wind up with an honorary companionship out of it.

Hmmm.... you point me towards some sort of Space/Time thingy I can use for said awkward bump ins/adventures, and I'll still bring the Jammy Dodgers. We'll have a nice cupa, and swap stories. For an evilish being, I'm shockingly pleasant company.

#14 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8501 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

I'm almost always extremely irritable when I'm time travelling.

Because, y'know, I hate it.

Ironically(Or not? I dunno.), my favourite movie trilogy is Back to the Future.

#15 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22390 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

you don't want to take me.. I think the tardis is sexier then you do.
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#16 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17864 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

How do you feel about costumed superheroes? (Though I have the disadvantage of having to bring along an irritable monster made from human desire with his own agenda along...)

#17 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm a guy who thinks anything is possible, so I'd probably have an easier time adapting to all the weird s*** than most other humans would.

#18 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 3347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ May 16 2011, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 16 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm.... you point me towards some sort of Space/Time thingy I can use for said awkward bump ins/adventures, and I'll still bring the Jammy Dodgers. We'll have a nice cupa, and swap stories. For an evilish being, I'm shockingly pleasant company.

Well... that's the trick, isn't it? Unless you have a time pod of some sort (such as a TARDIS), you're pretty much left with just hurling yourself bodily through the temporal void, exposure to which is almost always fatal. Many have tried and failed to create TARDISes... but I happen to know that there's a few very good starting points left just laying about all around the Earth. Their previous owners had to, shall we say... depart? Rather suddenly? Something about subliminal messages and and order to kill them on sight. *shrugs* If you can find one of those, you might have a shot.

QUOTE(Wingus @ May 16 2011, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you feel about costumed superheroes? (Though I have the disadvantage of having to bring along an irritable monster made from human desire with his own agenda along...)

A wise and very large man once said 'men in masks can't be trusted'. Never reject the wisdom of giants.

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ May 16 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a guy who thinks anything is possible, so I'd probably have an easier time adapting to all the weird s*** than most other humans would.

Oi! *waggles finger* Language. While it's all well and good to think anything's possible, the real test is to believe anything is possible. Once you believe a thing possible, it becomes infinitely easier to put it into practice. If I stopped to think about half of what I did, I'd never do it. Sometimes you just have to plunge head first into the situation with nothing more than the belief that it will work out, even if all you have is a screwdriver, a plucky sidekick and some very stylish clothing.

0n39.png

#19 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ May 16 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While it's all well and good to think anything's possible, the real test is to believe anything is possible.

Oh I do, I just lack the proper skills to put things into practice. I leave that up to much more capable men such as yourself, but I believe you can do it.

#20 Devcon

Devcon

Whaddayamean "I'm Back"? Daddy-yo,I was never gone

• Forum Moderator
  • 10231 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

You know I just realized. Your screen name isn't "The Doctor", it's "The doctor Who". Shouldn't your Avatar be Peter Cushing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users