Photo

Removing tampographs

5 replies to this topic

#1 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2112 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

I want to remove the wing stripes and faction symbol off Generations thundercracker and I know rubbing alcahol wold work but is there a specific kind I should get so as to not ruin the pretty blue plastic?

Thanks.

DIT: Changed the thread title for the love of all that is holy.

Edited by Agent X, 12 May 2011 - 07:45 PM.

"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#2 Llwynoh

Llwynoh
  • Citizen
  • 514 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

try to get 99% isopropyl, it works much faster then the normal 75% most stores stock. I have never had any issues with plastic tolerance using just rubbing alcohol, however you want to avoid prologned contact, just use as much as you need. Avoid getting it on too much of the figure, as it will disolve any adhesives and weaken other paint apps in the area. Also clean the figure with something before painting, as the panel lines can hold rubbing alcohol in them, hindering repainting.

And, for the love of all that is holy, change the thread title to "tampographs"

#3 Detour

Detour

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Supporter
  • 17603 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

For simple tampos, like faction sigils, I've found that rubbing it with a hard eraser, like the ones on the tip of pencils, works like a charm. It was very effective at removing the big Decepticon sigils on Universe Heavy Load.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#4 Llwynoh

Llwynoh
  • Citizen
  • 514 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Erasers do work really good too, just always be careful some erasers and any eraser that appears to have grit in it will sometimes marr or dull certain plastics, so maybe test on a part normally covered during most modes.

#5 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5466 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

i'm in the process of trying to get the fugly lightning bolts off my recon ironhide with rubbing alcohol

its taking much longer than i'd like lol

i've rubbed it on with q-tips and tried scraing some off with my finger nail but that silver paint is REALLY on there. so right now im letting it soak for a little bit and see what happens

ugh...it is taking a whole lot more time and effort and waiting to get these dang stripes off icon-waspy.gif

i am SOOOO not patient enough for this kitbashing type stuff lol

Edited by God Fire Convoy, 13 May 2011 - 06:27 AM.

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#6 CatSCAN

CatSCAN
  • Supporter
  • 3990 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Rip the green scrub part off the back of a sponge. Cut it into small squares, dip it, and rub away. That worked wonders for my Ramjet and Skywarp customs.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users