#21 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28240 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 15 2011, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh.

I was hoping this episode would make me forgive them for killing Skyquake. Mission Failed. Much weaker than the previous two weeks have been.

What? why? this episode was great!

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#22 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46693 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Nowhere near as interesting as what I imagined from the preview blurb. :/

Prime Megatron joins the long line of stupid Megatrons who don't do anything significant with Starscream after being almost fatally betrayed. icon-primal.gif

On the plus side the animation was again incredible and a nice call back to Skyquake's previous appearance.

#23 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55512 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Blud and Fwiffo are the "We don't like Prime because it's not Animated" brothers and they will never like it.

I like you guys, but I don't ever expect to get an objective review from you at this point.

#24 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46693 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

I'm judging Prime entirely on its own merits and often find it wanting.

I've truly enjoyed five episodes so far. This wasn't one of them. And even then, as I've said, the worst sin Prime has is not being engaging. Not a single episode they've done so far is what I'd term "bad".

Going by last week(s) two parter and next weeks they seem to converging more of their plotlines so I'm pretty sure I'll like the rest of the season a lot more.

Edited by MrBlud, 15 May 2011 - 01:54 AM.

#25 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 4889 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ May 15 2011, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nowhere near as interesting as what I imagined from the preview blurb. :/

Prime Megatron joins the long line of stupid Megatrons who don't do anything significant with Starscream after being almost fatally betrayed. icon-primal.gif

On the plus side the animation was again incredible and a nice call back to Skyquake's previous appearance.

I dunno, Starscream seemed pretty roughed up. Plus he's still useful to him.

I have a feeling that the next time he crosses Megs it's going to get alot worse for him.

"By the way, you might see my arm lying around somewhere. If you could pick it up, that'd be great."

#26 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ May 14 2011, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blud and Fwiffo are the "We don't like Prime because it's not Animated" brothers and they will never like it.

I like you guys, but I don't ever expect to get an objective review from you at this point.

No, I don't like certain episodes of Prime because I think they fail to deliver. I didn't like every episode of Animated either (any episode with Headmaster comes to mind). I've stated before and again that I think it's having trouble finding it's groove and that I expect great things from it (as it's already proven that it can be fantastic).

Scrapheap, and pretty much Deus Ex Machina on had been great. This episode was really weak, back to the poor levels of Convoy and Masters and Students.

Zombie Skyquake was only slightly less boring than non-Zombie Skyquake. I'd hoped they do something with the character. Instead, they just turned him into a one-epsiode T-Rex stand in and left him to wander around another dimension for all eternity.

The entire spacebridge plot felt forced. For example... WHEN DID THE CONS GET A GROUNDBRIDGE? I thought the entire point was that the Groundbridge was the one advantage the Autobots had! Wait... wasn't that the entire goddamned reason Makeshift had to use the Autobots Groundbridge instead of stepping outside the base? Really?

Miko proved every single thing all the Prime haters say about her. I don't even mind Miko terribly, but she was really, really particularly dumb this episode.

And I hoped for a lot more from Megatron and Starscream. After he got dragged away last episode, I hoped for something totally gamechanging. After seeing him injected with Dark Energon, doubly so!

And instead, it was only slightly better than what G1 Megatron did on an episodic basis with Starscream.

This episode was a big letdown in just about every way imaginable, and Animated has nothing to do with that.

#27 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 4889 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 15 2011, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The entire spacebridge plot felt forced. For example... WHEN DID THE CONS GET A GROUNDBRIDGE? I thought the entire point was that the Groundbridge was the one advantage the Autobots had! Wait... wasn't that the entire goddamned reason Makeshift had to use the Autobots Groundbridge instead of stepping outside the base? Really?

I'm pretty sure Makeshift's job was to get the coordinates to the autobot's base so they could groundbridge in.
"By the way, you might see my arm lying around somewhere. If you could pick it up, that'd be great."

#28 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(Omgiamonfire @ May 15 2011, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 15 2011, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure Makeshift's job was to get the coordinates to the autobot's base so they could groundbridge in.

IIRC, he had to use the Autobots Groundbridge. Remember, he spent the whole episode waiting for Ratchet to fix it.

#29 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 2242 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ May 15 2011, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Going by last week(s) two parter and next weeks they seem to converging more of their plotlines so I'm pretty sure I'll like the rest of the season a lot more.

No more Prime for the next month. Next episode is June 18th. icon-screamer.gif

Though Wikipedia claims Canada is getting Operation: Breakdown on the 29th. Not sure how accurate that is...
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: more comprehensive than Teletraan I, longer lasting than Teletraan II, not as violent as Teletraan 10.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#30 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28240 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

This episode was a big letdown in just about every way imaginable

Garbage. This episode was hilarious, had a nice sense of drama, pacing, and tension, and really drove along at top-speed. This ep was basically Beast Wars' better standalone-ep level.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#31 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 13530 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Laugh-out-loud funny. Starscream's dialogue, delivery, facial expressions, animation... EVERYTHING... were just great. And beyond the funny, his evil burning justice power-up sequence was probably one of the most visually beautiful scenes in TF history, right up there with Animated Megatron's self-rebuilding scene at the end of season 1; I rewound and rewatched it about 6 times in a row.

With four very good to great episodes in a row, the show seems at last to have hit its stride.
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

#32 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 34286 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

The plot was a little thin, and recycled from other scifi shows (although all modern scifi shows do this, so I don't hold that against TF Prime), but the voice acting, the timing, the humor and the animation all more than made up for it. Every scene with Starscream was fantastic!

I could have gone with a little less zombie-Skyquake lumbering around after the kids, but it allowed for some interplay between the them (we've had that with Jack and Miko, but not so much with them and Raf).

As for the Decepticon groundbridge, I don't think we've seen or heard anything either way about it. Nothing suggesting that one exists and nothing denying its existence. In the ep with Makeshift, he was sent to discover the coordinates to the Autobot base. His tracking beacon was blocked by some sort of shielding around the Autobot base, so said coordinates never made it back to the Decepticons. Which meant as he continued his mission, he'd open the Autobots' bridge to allow the Decepticons to storm the base.

First they mention just finding the coordinates. Then, when Makeshift is incommunicado, Starscream taunts Wheeljack that their inside man will open the Autobots' groundbridge, allowing them to finally to discover the location of the Autobot base. After which he complains "Makeshift still hasn't opened their groundbridge or otherwise transmitted their coordinates."

So it sounds like two plans: One depending on the Autobot groundbridge. The other just getting the coordinates so they can attack by their own means. Neither really negates there being a Decepticon groundbridge, since we know from Ratchet that the coordinates have to be pretty exact or else the result might not be so pretty.

I'm not saying it's not convenient for the plot that they suddenly have a groundbridge. Just that it's not necessarily contradictory to what we've seen before.

Edited by NightViper, 15 May 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#33 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4260 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

I thought it was kind of weird that Starscream's missiles were controlled by hand movements.

QUOTE(StarSaber @ May 14 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really liked this episode (Ratchet always has the best lines!) but wasn't this plot used in both "The Real Ghostbusters" and "Star Trek:TNG"?

-SS

It is kind of a stock sci-fi plot, and fantasy sometimes too. The concept was used in the video game Dragon Age.

edit: Re: Decepticon groundbridge:
We knew they had a spacebridge, and a ground bridge is just a spacebridge that works at on a smaller scale.
I don't see why they couldn't have one.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 15 May 2011 - 08:05 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#34 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I honestly think it could go either way with Skyquake. We thought we were completely done with him before, and well, look what happened.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#35 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 6905 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Silent_Magnus @ May 15 2011, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was kind of weird that Starscream's missiles were controlled by hand movements.

It was a bit off-putting just how easily Jack was able to fire Starscream's missile.
I have signatures disabled because they suck.

#36 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

and yet, it's better than them mysteriously being able to fire a weapon with no visible triggers.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#37 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10756 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

This is pretty much my opinion about this episode.

Yes, Megatron. Just trash the guy who wanted to kill you while you were helpless, then have him fixed up and leave him without any surveillance whatsoever. icon-primal.gif That'll teach him not to try again.

Not that Starscream is any better. Hint, Screamer... if you are trying to take over from your much stronger superior, and your ally is offering you free upgrades... TAKE IT! "Power" is one half of "Power Hungry", which you are supposed to be...

Also, Miko is now officially too stupid to live.

And Skyquake is not only dead now, but a moaning mindless undead, trapped in a paralell dimension. Sigh... And his introduction was the episode where I started to think Prime was turning around and starting to be fun.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 15 May 2011 - 11:08 AM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#38 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4260 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 15 2011, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and yet, it's better than them mysteriously being able to fire a weapon with no visible triggers.

I don't see how that's a problem when the weapons are parts of their body.
Do your projectiles have visible triggers?

edit: I may have misread your statement.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 15 May 2011 - 11:06 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#39 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28307 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was referring to the kids, yeah.

I don't know. I see it as Starscream's equivelant of " flexing his claws." they just don't happen immediately, there's a built in response.

#40 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12702 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

You would think the missile would be triggered by a signal from Starscream's core processor. It would be more realistic if they had to have Raf splice the wiring to ignite the propellant. Although once again I feel like that's putting a little too much "genius" into "kid genius."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users