• Citizen
  • 8507 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Galvaplex MPH @ May 5 2011, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a related note:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...018070622172833

VERY cool. icon-ironhide.gif

That Black Shadow was posted in the Allspark's art forum, if you want to see more. icon-ironhide.gif

#22 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

If people are willing to pay to buy it from a source other than the charity drive, and he doesn't want it anymore, that's between the buyer and the seller. It's unfortunate for people who wanted one but didn't get it, and I hope he didn't get extra just to sell, but the people who missed out due to hesitation, lack of online presence, or lack of funds weren't owed "dibs".

My feeling also. It's his property, and he should be able to sell it. We have no way of knowing WHY he's selling it or what he wants the money for. But, even if went through the whole process purely for the chance to sell the toy for some extra cash, it's his toy to sell. The Red Cross still got its donation, the seller pockets some cash, and another fan who apparently thinks it's worth the money will be buying it. I don't see a loser here.

#23 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Citizen
  • 1487 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Professor @ May 7 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, even if went through the whole process purely for the chance to sell the toy for some extra cash, it's his toy to sell. The Red Cross still got its donation, the seller pockets some cash, and another fan who apparently thinks it's worth the money will be buying it. I don't see a loser here.

I don't know. You're right that his actions don't hurt either the Red Cross or FansProject but morality doesn't always mean there's a loser.

The way I see it the second seller may have made a donation but it basically defeat the purpose - or at least the underlying intent - to recoup the funds (and quite possibly a tidy profit) by reselling what is essentially a gift to the donor. On top of getting his money back and then some, he can probably claim the donation as a tax deduction on next year's filing. All arguments for capitalism aside, somehow that just doesn't seem right.

-SS (Profiting off an act of charity just seems wrong.)

#24 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

I saw another one today. Since there were 1500 of these babies made, I guess this is a pretty good record of only a few that made it onto ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35b6753331

The guy had the sense to blot out his name on the card, and put in his ebay name.

#25 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

Manly things, like a tiger ripping apart a gazelle, or a lawyer.

• Citizen
  • 3128 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Threads of the ghostly past: ARISE!!
There's only room in here for one,
And I've decided it's not you.
I had to do what must be done.
YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT TOO!
Suddenly I'm feeling strange...

#26 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22394 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

I don't think Ebay was the way to do it.

perhaps open a thread on a message board saying you had one and would send it to someone if they made another donation
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users