26 replies to this topic

#1 Automan2000

Automan2000

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

• Supporter
  • 4166 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

Forgive me if I have a hard time seeing how The Thing is going to fit the new Hollywood movie making style. This is not a story that will lend itself to shaky cam and crazy action scenes. It depends on its deliberate pace to set up the tension and suspense of being isolated and not knowing who you can trust. On top of that, its one of the greatest horror movie ever made in all of everness!! I really don't want "New Hollywood" to taint this film. icon-screamer.gif

You know... maybe all hope isn't lost. If they got some really solid talent to play the lead roles it will work. So, let me look.....

Mary Elizabeth "I am going to spend the whole movie talking in a disinterested monotone voice because it's cool" Winstead?? icon-primal.gif Let me just say that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was about the only movie that I have ever see in which the leads were incredibly boring and/or annoying but the supporting case was so much fun it totally made up for it. So, this choice doesn't fill me with hope.. in fact she is in the screenshot on the imdb page and she manages to look fairly wooden while wielding a freaking flame thrower!!

Joel Edgerton?? Eh.. he hasn't been big but thats not necessarily a bad thing. He could pull it off but being that he hasn't had any big roles yet its hard to tell.

All in all.. I am expecting this to turn out to be an over-cgi'd, shaky cam mess that totally urinates on everything that made the '82 film great. I dream of a day when Hollywood decides that something can be left alone.

#2 Nightwing

Nightwing
  • Citizen
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:22 AM

Supposedly, ADI is doing some really cool practical gags for this one, so you probably only need to fear what happens in post, FX-wise. Practical has a way of exiting stage left during post these days.
Ninpo Ikkan Magakoro Ni Masari

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

#3 Teufel

Teufel

Why so serious?

• Supporter
  • 2670 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

So if this is a prequel taking place at a different research station, does that mean flamethrowers are standard issue for all Arctic outposts?

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34828 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

The humorous thing to this is The Thing is a remake itself (Well...maybe Re-imagining is a better term then straight up Remake). At the same time, I'm not sure a Prequel is needed.

Edited by Rust, 17 April 2011 - 02:51 PM.

photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#5 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4810 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

I dunno...I remember the thing's prequel team up with Wolverine to be pretty good.

#6 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34828 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

The thing that gets me, is the movie ended with enough ambiguity that a sequel would not be out of the question. I can respect filmmaker's desire not to just flat out remake the original movie, but it doesn't have to be a Prequel when a sequel would work just as well and not be forced to work to tie events in the prequel's climax to those of the first film.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#7 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9370 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

But a sequel would kill the delicious ambiguity of the first movie's ending!

#8 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Not to mention the original short story! Everybody forgets it (it has a different title. "Who Goes There?", IIRC).

#9 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34828 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thinking about this more, I wonder what they're going to call the movie? I'm hoping nothing like The Thing: Beginning. If they titled the sequel "The Thing From Outer Space" I would approve, or even "The Thing's Arrival".

#10 Tomoko Kuroki

Tomoko Kuroki
  • Citizen
  • 15615 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Apr 17 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thinking about this more, I wonder what they're going to call the movie? I'm hoping nothing like The Thing: Beginning. If they titled the sequel "The Thing From Outer Space" I would approve, or even "The Thing's Arrival".

Not John Carpenter's Thing.

#11 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have high hopes for this. Everything I have seen seems to imply that this team has a lot of respect for the source material. The name of the prequel is just "The Thing" from what I have seen. It is suppose to take place at the Norwegian camp.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34828 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Cirno @ Apr 17 2011, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John Carpenter's Thing Arrives. icon-fire.gif

#13 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Apr 18 2011, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that gets me, is the movie ended with enough ambiguity that a sequel would not be out of the question. I can respect filmmaker's desire not to just flat out remake the original movie, but it doesn't have to be a Prequel when a sequel would work just as well and not be forced to work to tie events in the prequel's climax to those of the first film.

There was actually a comic book sequel where the black guy disappears and the main guy ends up on a japanese ice-breaker. He escapes and goes after his compatriot, but the thing has infected a US military team who capture him, and then they all end up in a larger base, and then a nuclear submarine shows up... I forget how it ends, but it was pretty fitting to the original film in character, but it's way more action-y.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#14 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9370 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Apr 17 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Rise of John Carpenter's Thing.

#15 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27813 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

3D Thing.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#16 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34828 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Fishbug @ Apr 17 2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rust @ Apr 17 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Rise of John Carpenter's Thing.

QUOTE(Choc Chip Mint @ Apr 17 2011, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3D Thing.

Merge these two for absolute hilarity.

"The Rise of John Carpenter's Thing"
IN 3D

#17 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22841 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Wasn't there a thing sequel video game?
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#18 Mewberry Cake

Mewberry Cake

HAI GAIZ

• Citizen
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Done very bronzely.

Edited by Mewberry Cake, 17 April 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#19 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9370 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Apr 17 2011, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"The Rise of John Carpenter's Thing"
IN 3D

COMING SOON

#20 Tomoko Kuroki