6 replies to this topic

#1 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

12-24: Chicago Cubs - Dead And Loving It

• Community Manager
  • 26542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thought this might be an interesting subject. Who is the best damn band alive in the world today? So if you catch my drift, I'm talking active bands who regularly put out music and/or tour. We can save the discussion about how the modern acts stack up against Led Zeppelin and The Beatles for another day but I'm looking for bands that I have a snowballs chance in hell of seeing live in this lifetime.

It should be really easy to pick your favorite, use your INTERNET-fu on Youtube, and come up with a batch of great sounding examples for your choice. Would also be killer if you could tell us a little bit about the songs you're choosing. Expecting to see a lot of acts I've never heard of.

For my choice I'll stay tried and true. Drive-By Truckers. I've been singing this groups praises for half a decade now and nothing is going to change. Last Sunday I got to see them live once again and for $20 they played a dream setlist that went nearly 3 hours. I present to you ten songs that I think serve as a really good introduction to the band and justification for the choice.

"After The Scene Dies" from Spinner.com, from the album "The Big To-Do", vocals by Patterson Hood

A number of DBT songs deal with the downside of fame and what happens when it runs out. If I could find a better video of "Road Cases" it would probably make my top ten. This one is as good as that all time Truckers classic though. Basically a love letter to those who went for fame and came up short.

"Birthday Boy" from Spinner.com, from the album "The Big To-Do", vocals by "The Stroker Ace" Mike Cooley

It's a movie cliche to feature the stripper with a heart of gold. DBT has a knack of going for the grit and telling a story like it probably really is. So here's the stripper with a heart of gold who is probably a hooker too.

"Let There Be Rock" live 2009 from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by Patterson Hood

A song that Patterson introduces live by saying it's about how rock and roll saved his life once upon a time, I offer it simply because I've lived bits of this song. Even if to a lesser degree than Patterson Hood probably did and a few names may change.

"Women Without Whisky" live from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by "The Stroker Ace" Mike Cooley

I love this song for the lyric "Now I know the bottle aint to blame and I ain't trying to. 'Cause it don't make you do a thing it just lets you" and the overall context of thinking about giving up ones vices...someday.

"Decoration Day" live from the album "Decoration Day", vocals by Jason Isbell

A song I present with a heavy heart. Not just for the subject matter, a modern Hatfields vs McCoys family feud, but for the fact that I'll never hear it live again. Sadly Jason has left the band and you'd have to go to a Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit show to hear it, but the album it's on is an absolute classic so you won't be disappointed

"Go Go Boots" acoustic from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood

From DBT's latest album, basically a piece of a larger R&B Murder Mystery. What happens when a reverend decides he'd rather have the mistress than his wife. You'll have to seek out "The Fireplace Poke" to find out what happened to the preacher

"The Thanksgiving Filter" acoustic from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood

Went with this simply because I've also lived bits of this song, and it sums up my feelings on the holidays at times

"Buttholeville->State Trooper" live in Atlanta GA from nothing whatsoever

Just a great example of how an ordinary DBT show ends. It's usually this combo or the tune "People Who Died". Chosen because Steve Earle is awesome.

"Used To Be A Cop" live from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood.

As you dig deeper into DBT's catalog you will find a lot of songs about tragic people with tragic tales. Started on their first album with songs like "Panties In Your Purse" and goes forward 15 years later to this tune about a flawed cop who lost everything.

"Zip City" from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by Mike Cooley

Before I started this I didn't know what songs would make up my ten but I did know that I'd end with this one. My all time favorite Truckers song, the story of a young Mike Cooleys frustrating relationship as a teenager. I'll note that when Cooley introduces this song live he mentions that it's 90%+ true. And it's even better live. Sadly to give you a listenable copy you just have to look at the cover of Southern Rock Opera

Anyway, thanks for indulging me and if this doesn't fall on deaf ears looking forward to hearing some suggestions for some great music.

#2 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Citizen
  • 5830 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'll give some suggestions when I get home from Coachella.

#3 Automan2000

Automan2000

Liberati tutumet ex infernis

• Supporter
  • 4182 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

When I think of the greatest concert experience ever the first band to pop into my head is always KISS. They might be old but they still do shows and most of all they still kick ass. Like a cross between a rock concert and a circus after see KISS live every other show will pale by comparison. Hell, even people that aren't big on their music still get a kick out of the shows.

To prove this I present Exhibit A:

I rest my case.... icon-hotrod.gif

Hell, here is Exhibit B:

I was at the concert where this one was recorded.

Edited by Automan2000, 15 April 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#4 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

12-24: Chicago Cubs - Dead And Loving It

• Community Manager
  • 26542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Apr 15 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll give some suggestions when I get home from Coachella.

Awesome, look forward to it. Wish I could go, closest I'll get anytime soon is something called Forecastle Festival in Louisville.

#5 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17871 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Freddie may be gone, but they're still kicking. And a minor warning since this version changes "You made a bad boy out of me" to "You made an bunghole out of me" since that's in the cupcake monkey.

Edited by Wingus, 15 April 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Man, or Astro Man? is the only choice.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by Nanite, 15 April 2011 - 04:42 PM.

On them twitters

#7 Zek Miser

Zek Miser

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7592 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Said it once, I'll say it again: Rock Sugar!!

Also Foreigner:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users