Photo
- - - - -

I have inside me blood of kings (Yeah, yeah!)!

36 replies to this topic

#1 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

Who wants some robot chicken?

• Citizen
  • 5977 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

So, my Aunt has been working on our family tree at Ancestry.com and it turns out on my mother's side one our ancestors is Henry of Lancaster, the 3rd Earl of Lancaster who was of the House Plantagenet (as well as House Lancaster) which produced at total of 15 English Monarchs (3 directly from House Lancaster - Henry's the IV, V, and VI). Considering the modest occupations of my more immediate ancestors, needless to say I was quite surprised. And this is just part of my mother's side-we haven't even touch my father's side.

On a less positive but still historical note, we're also related to Sir Thomas Lucy who liked to persecute Catholics (including Shakespeare's family).

So I guess you should all start bowing down and calling me Your Highness icon-waspy.gif .
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#2 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4661 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

.....oh....(I'll put my sword away now)......thought you were someone else.

#3 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Bang.

• Citizen
  • 13562 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'm actually a distant cousin of Charles Lindbergh on my mother's side, and on my father's side, we have the perpetrator of the REAL great train robbery. By that logic, I'm destined to be a sky pirate icon-fire.gif

QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Apr 4 2011, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a less positive but still historical note, we're also related to Sir Thomas Lucy who liked to persecute Catholics (including Shakespeare's family).

At least you aren't related to that bastard Oliver Cromwell icon-fire.gif
QUOTE(Detour @ Sep 13 2013, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depresses me when I see kids getting the intelligent cartoons and "adults" getting the most immature garbage ever animated.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#4 Hecate

Hecate

Literally the worst poster ever

• Citizen
  • 26552 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, well my legend began in the 12th century.

99% of people fail to understand statistics. If you're one of the 23% who do, copy and paste this into your sig!

#5 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6111 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

There is a castle that bears (beres? Bares?) my last name. I have yet to find out if there is a relation or not.
I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#6 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7370 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

My last name's Smith....

I win.

#7 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34137 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

I'm a distant relation to Scottish Royalty, that's about all I know. I'd check up on Ancestry.com but the site plays dirty pool when it comes to its "Free" Trial (To not get billed, I have to physically call to say I don't want the service...nice to see that explanation is in small print).
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#8 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17468 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

I might be indirectly related to Davy Crocket through marriage.

I am also most likely a member of the Lower Silesian Nobility. icon-fire.gif

#9 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

symmetrical docking ...Henshin!

• Citizen
  • 22148 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

I'm related to that guy in Braveheart that wasn't Mel Gibson

#10 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7622 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Apr 5 2011, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm related to that guy in Braveheart that wasn't Mel Gibson

"Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?!"[/Blight]

#11 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

symmetrical docking ...Henshin!

• Citizen
  • 22148 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

lol, sorry - Robert the Bruce

#12 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10055 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

My mom's grandfather, being a well-versed man in history and literature as well, spent his spare time during the communism (where he, previously a public prosectutor of the state, had to work as a night guard, having been "B-listed" as an enemy of the state) putting together our family tree. He managed to trace the Andrassy name back to the time the hungarian tribes entered the Karpat-basin in 900 AD. On my father's side, I am of kraut (Swabisch) descent. And despite the name, I am not related to Andrassy Gyula, the famous politician - that's a different Andrassy family, though we are related to two famous hungarian poets, Kisfaludy Karoly and Sandor.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 05 April 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#13 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31733 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Apr 4 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol, sorry - Robert the Bruce

The heck you say. I am too. He's an ancestor of my Mom's.

And Pocahontas and John Rolfe are an ancestors of my Dad.

Edit - I asked my dad for details and he sent me all the names in my lineage to Pocahontas. He was my 8 greats grandmother. And today (or maybe yesterday) is her wedding anniversary.

He doesn't have details on Robert the Bruce because he hasn't tracked my mom's geneology. He just knows that her mother said so.

Edited by Axaday, 06 April 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#14 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30707 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

I get the distinct impression that ancestry.com is fluffing the output a bit to get more people to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure there's no royalty in my family blood. Maybe a few rebels, some soldiers, farmers and whores, but nothing as debase as royalty.

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34137 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Oh my family history is about as sorid. On my dad's side, a guy with my last name just turned up in the Midwest in the mid-1800s with no birth certificate or proof of identity. We figure it's an assumed name. That's as far back as we can trace my dad's side.

On my mom's side, my Great-Great Grandfather was appearently a very well to do individual in Scotland when one night, he packed up his wife and children and sailed to the US without a penny to their names. We do wonder what happened there.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#16 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5116 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

I have no idea who my ancestors were, and I kind of like it that way.

#17 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Citizen
  • 4661 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

You'd be surprised at how much male nobility got around in the Dark Ages and Renaissance, it's not necessarily all 'inflation' by geneology websites. Sir Thomas de Moulton was a travelling companion to William the Conqueror in the mid 1000's, and my paternal ancestor, although there is still some uncertainty about some potential French origins of the surname (but no evidence of ancestry) also dating back to the mid 1000's.

Edited by Dissever, 05 April 2011 - 09:30 AM.

********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#18 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30707 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, thats a given. In an era when the ruling class had absolute power and almost NOTHING to use it for, sleeping around and getting drunk was probably top of the list. There's probably blue blood in half of the worlds veins.

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

#19 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10282 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(UnicronusPrime @ Apr 4 2011, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a castle that bears (beres? Bares?) my last name. I have yet to find out if there is a relation or not.

Same Here!

The actual "Castle Finkenstein" lies in the Austria area. Probably not too likely I have any relation to the owners, as, from what I know, my Father's family from the area were all jewish back then, so it's much more likely they just lived near the Castle. But I still find it pretty cool.

Still, we should totally start a club exlusively for people who have a Castle that bares their name.

-ZacWilliam, knowa a lot less about my Mom's family, though I know they've got some Polish and French in there. Wish Ancestry.com was cheaper to sign up for as I'd love to dig into that side...

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#20 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8279 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Geneology became my mom's obsession hobby a few years ago. Looking through what she's found has only confirmed what I've long suspected; no member of my family has ever done anything unusual, adventurous, or significant.

I'm descended from a long line of Hobbits.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users