CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

From the IDW Forums

QUOTE('DecepticonsRule')
Simon Furman has declared his interest in continuing the original story from the Marvel continuity!!!

QUOTE('Simon Furman Q&A')

6. The GI Joe fans are thrilled that Hama has continued the original ARAH continuity and that has sparked some of us here to ask Andy if the same could be done for TF?s. Have you given any thought to continuing the original TF continuity from the Marvel run? And an even better question is, are you even interested in going down that road?

SF) I actually would like to pick up the baton from Marvel issue #80 and run with it again. There was a lot we never got to do, that I?d like to revisit or just to take the next big steps with all that we?d set up in the previous 20 or so issues. I?d certainly rather do G1 #81 than G2 #13, as, strangely, and for no good reason I can formulate into words, I think the time has passed for G2. It was very, well? 90s.

Now we need to show IDW there is interest for this title!!!

We need to rally and make a push to bring Furman back!!!

Obviously one way to vote is with your wallet and by purchasing the classics material. If it sells well, this has a chance.

But I figure there are people out there like me, who can't afford to put money out on trades, especially for material that is already owned in multiple formats. IDW needs to know we want this too. And if we can't vote with money, let's show them!

Here's what I propose:

1. Tronprogram: Please sticky this thread.

2. Post here if you would support this title.

3. Can someone that posts headlines on other TF sites, lonegamer78, for instance on allspark.com post a headline with a link to this thread so other TF fans can come here to vote? Can we do the same for seibertron.com, tfw2005.com, and tfarchive.com?

4. If you are already planning on attending a convention, talk to as many people as you can and have them sign a petition if they would support (I.E. buy) the title. Anyone planning on going to Wondercon this weekend? If you're at the TF Panel, talk to those people!!

5. Go to your local comic shop and try one of two things: See if they will put a sig sheet on their check out counter asking the question, "Would you support a Transformers title continuing the original Marvel continuity written by Simon Furman with a G1 # 81 issue?" Or ask the shop owner if they would carry the title and how many copies they would carry at least.

I already emailed 11 major comic stores: g-mart, grahamcrackers, lonestarcomics, midtowncomics, zanaducomics and more...

I have already heard back from one retailer in Maryland, Collector's Corner, and they said they would carry the title if published, at least 8-15 copies. There's a start!

So we can use this thread to track results and for people to post showing support!

So let's pull together and get Furman back on Transformers!! We can Do This!!!

Cheers,
DR

Support is pouring in. DecepticonsRule has already heard back from several retailers who said they'd be happy to support such a petition.

We've also had some excellent feedback from TFW2005. They were kind enough to write an article which has generated 7 pages of positive feedback.

So please lend your support by posting in the relevant thread. Just a single post saying "Count me in" will do.

Also be sure to LIKE the Facebook page http://www.facebook....113954648684693

And sign the petition http://www.petitiono...w/petition.html

Edited by CAD-BANE, 21 July 2011 - 01:47 PM.

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

#2 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Count me in.
TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#3 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5141 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Simon writing G1? Always!

#4 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4826 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Would this be another offshoot of the G1 continuity, or would it be a fill-in between G1 and G2? I wonder.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#5 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Mar 31 2011, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would this be another offshoot of the G1 continuity, or would it be a fill-in between G1 and G2? I wonder.

I imagine it would pick up from the end of #80 and likely ignore G2.

#6 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12693 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Ah, so it would be Action Masters and Pretenders: the Comic (also featuring The Transformers)? Not sure if I could muster the enthusiasm for a project like that, I think there would have to be a time skip of some sort.

#7 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The devil himself would have to call them scum

• Citizen
  • 16963 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Is it wrong of me to support this just to give all the people who try to shoehorn all the divergent continuities into a single whole a fit?

#8 Kil

Kil
  • Citizen
  • 6732 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

So, we're rallying support for a non-existent project because of an off-hand answer Furman gave in some interview?

#9 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Dante @ Mar 31 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, so it would be Action Masters and Pretenders: the Comic (also featuring The Transformers)? Not sure if I could muster the enthusiasm for a project like that, I think there would have to be a time skip of some sort.

Wouldn't have to include Pretenders at all. They weren't really featuring in a major way in the comic at #80 (Bludgeon notwithstanding, and would you really mind some more Bludgeon?). And Action Masters could be dealt with in fairly short order. Any hypothetical #81 wouldn't have to feature the toys of the period (actually, that would be AMs and Micromasters, wouldn't it?). It would just carry events from where we last saw them.
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#10 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Kil @ Mar 31 2011, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're rallying support for a non-existent project because of an off-hand answer Furman gave in some interview?

Yeah, pretty much. (I said in another thread, I don't see this actually happening. But I'm happy to offer support nonetheless.)

#11 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Dante @ Mar 31 2011, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, but we'd have Bludgeon leading the Decepticons in Space, and Galvatron, Starscream, Shockwave and a damaged Megatron on Earth.

#12 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(CAD-BANE @ Mar 31 2011, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, but we'd have ... Galvatron, Starscream, Shockwave and a damaged Megatron on Earth.

With Ratchet there to fight them all!

#13 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Mar 31 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, pretty much. (I said in another thread, I don't see this actually happening. But I'm happy to offer support nonetheless.)

I think a lot of us are rather cut up over the G.I Joe fans getting a continuation and a reboot, whereas we're stuck with a sub-par ongoing.

#14 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10318 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'd give it a shot.

I'm all for having that continuity be relevant again. I know Simon can write great stories without falling into his own cliches, damn it. I'd just hope I'd get the chance to see it, BEFORE someone pulls the plug on it. Again.

#15 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12693 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(CAD-BANE @ Mar 31 2011, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a lot of us are rather cut up over the G.I Joe fans getting a continuation and a reboot, whereas we're stuck with a sub-par ongoing.

What I'd like to know is how it's possible to latch onto a continuity held firmly in the clutches of Walt Disney Corporation, without having to pay royalties or anything, but we were told it was too difficult, legally, to pursue a continuation of the Dreamwave books, once Dreamwave no longer existed.

#16 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Dante @ Mar 31 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I'd like to know is how it's possible to latch onto a continuity held firmly in the clutches of Walt Disney Corporation, without having to pay royalties or anything, but we were told it was too difficult, legally, to pursue a continuation of the Dreamwave books, once Dreamwave no longer existed.

I don't think Marvel hold any rights to Transformers or G.I Joe anymore. Except for the Marvel characters like Death's Head and Circuit Breaker.

Plus, I think the main problem with a DW continuation is people like Brad Mick have said they won't write anymore until they're paid what they're earned. If someone else wrote it, it wouldn't really be a continuation. It's probably more complicated than that, hence why IDW have never reprinted the DW ongoing

#17 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Dante @ Mar 31 2011, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait, what does Disney own?

#18 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1954 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Mar 31 2011, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marvel

#19 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(CAD-BANE @ Mar 31 2011, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Mar 31 2011, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marvel

I'm pretty sure that question has been addressed ages ago, then. The continuity is not owned by Marvel. Only some of the characters. Thus, new stories could be set in that continuity if they like.

Theoretically, the same was true of Dreamwave--and indeed I think IDW seems to own those stories outright these days anyway, unless I'm mistaken--but the IDW folks didn't want to bother. So, I guess the answer to your question would be "IDW lied."

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 31 March 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#20 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10318 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

I just think if it is at all possible, this would be much better than another 'rebooted' G1, or the current meandering IDW is doing with the ongoing.

Marvel and DC books, have continuity that stretches back decades. There's no reason transformers can't do the same. Especially if Joe is getting the treatment.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users