83 replies to this topic

#1 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18944 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

So, the first issue is out and damn it, Hickman's one of the best writers out there today.

Last issue had Johnny's funeral and the return of Nathaniel Richards.

FF picks up a month afterward. Johnny left a will, asking Reed to continue with the Kids and have Peter replace him in the event of his death.

Pete arrives and we're shown Ben being remorseful, and the new costumes are a new type of unstable molecule. The black-on-white costumes we've seen so far and white-on-black for what I assume are for stealth missions.

Anyway, stuff happens. AIM breaks Wizard out, Nathaniel joins the supporting cast as someone to actually GROUND Reed from getting TOO fantastical in his ideas, and Valeria's deal with Doom is revealed: He's going to join the Future Foundation as well.

I'm loving all of these developments. It's fun, engaging and, yes, not meant for trades. It's meant to be read issue-to-issue and I miss books like these that plan things out years in advance.

I once thought a Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Fantastic Four run would be my dream run. Nope, THIS is my dream run. Hickman actually gets the characters, and for the first time in a long time, I'm excited about a comic book.

Question is, will Hickman ignore Doom being of normal intelligence now, or will the Foundation help him? Ulterior motives? Ben's new kick ass and ask questions later attitude? Sue just letting Reed do what he wants?

Mmm, good comics.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 24 March 2011 - 02:22 AM.

#2 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

It was absolutely awesome! Uncle Doom!!!! Doom was at the funeral, Sue and Reed saw him standing by respectfully. Val has been interacting with her Uncle now for some time so who knows if Doom has an ulterior motive, I kind of hope not.

Dark Destroyer

Edited by DarkDestroyer, 24 March 2011 - 07:07 AM.

The Destroyer of Worlds

#3 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6465 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

I can't see Hickman ignoring the fact that Doom is of reduced intelligence now, since he made a whole point of it in the issue where Val extended her offer to him, and has actively placed Kristoff on the Latverian throne because of it. It's the very reason Doom is HERE. Well, from Doom's perspective, I mean - the hints have been dropped thick and fast that Nathaniel knows that something terrible is going to happen in the future that only Doom will be able to deal with. This is what future-Franklin told Val when he came back in time very early on in Hickman's run, and why Val made the offer she did. There are plots and counterplots at work, to be sure.

"All hope lies in Doom..."

#4 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I used to hate the Fantastic Four until I started reading Hickman's run. Can't wait until I read this issue.

#5 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14368 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

So, wait... what happened to Doom's intelligence now?

Is a Doom without his intelligence truly Doom?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#6 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 6465 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(LBD @ Mar 24 2011, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He got brain-drained during "World War Hulks" when a machine he was using to try and sap intelligence from Marvel's superhero scientists backfired on him.

Is a Doom without his intelligence truly Doom?

That, I think, it going to be very much at the heart of what FF does with the character. He *knows* he is without his intelligence now, and has actively stepped down as ruler of Latveria since he believes he can't rule in his current condition. This is what has driven him into the situation he now finds himself in as part of the Future Foundation. "Here," as Doom says in a brief flash of the future glimpsed in one panel a year ago, "I can build"...

Edited by Chris McFeely, 24 March 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#7 combiner1

combiner1
  • Citizen
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

i've read it, and it's alright for a first issue. hopefully marvel will stick to FF rather than bringing Johnny back after a year and then naming the book Fantatic Four again.

What i'm really excited is to how Val plan on avenging Johnny's death. i was really hoping that the first issue would touch on that BUT as i said it's only the first issue.

Having Doom into the mix really "mixes" things up icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif

I wonder if FF would invite all the brainy in the Marvel Universe. Like Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, or even Beast. They don't have to be in uniform (Iron man suit) to contribute to the FF. It would be like all of them just brain storming on a problem.
Brain: Come Pinky we must prepare for tommorrow night
Pinky: Why Brain, what are we doing tommorrow night
Brain: Same thing we do every night, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD

#8 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22695 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Mar 24 2011, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(LBD @ Mar 24 2011, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He got brain-drained during "World War Hulks" when a machine he was using to try and sap intelligence from Marvel's superhero scientists backfired on him.

Apparently he didn't learn the first time: http://thatguywithth...-in-brain-drain
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#9 gravitybomba

gravitybomba
  • Citizen
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Can anyone here give me a quick history lesson who the Wizard is? I always had this impression of him of being an old-school B-list FF villain, but he seemed pretty menacing in that breakout. And what is this about there being a child clone of him in the Future Foundation?

GB!

#10 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 6465 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(gravitybomba @ Mar 25 2011, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone here give me a quick history lesson who the Wizard is? I always had this impression of him of being an old-school B-list FF villain, but he seemed pretty menacing in that breakout. And what is this about there being a child clone of him in the Future Foundation?

GB!

Well, he sort of always WAS an old-school B-lister! He was a Human Torch villain from "Strange Tales" originally, then later brought over to the FF title as the leader of the Frightful Four. He's a genius inventor whose shtick revolves around anti-gravity devices (hence his sometime-codename, the "Wingless Wizard"). There's... honestly not a lot else to say! The kid-clone was from the very first issue of Hickman's run when the FF found out the Wizard was cloning himself, and Reed realized that he had genuinely lost his mind, claiming to have made some sort of divine contact and having started to "build" humans as a mission from God (he's using a lot of religious imagery in his speech now - that line about the fluttering of angel's wings in this issue, for instance). He's a gibbering mess without his helmet, which has a calmative effect on him - I think it's fairly strongly implied that the Wizard has somehow had his mind opened to the future terrors that Nathaniel is aware are coming. Reed's taken custody of one of the clones - "Bentley 32" - in the belief that he will be able to "fix" him, to raise him so that he will not be another Wizard. Bentley, of course, is the "something of his" that the Wizard mentions that Reed has in this issue. He's a dickish little fellow, but perhaps, in part, only because he seems to think he *should* be, because of who he is.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 25 March 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#11 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

This might be my favorite book right now. Just simply awesome. Hickman's writing is spot on and he seems to truly understand what type of story fits for the characters. The Council of Reed Richards thing next issue is going to be crazy.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#12 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18944 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

Glorious. Doom got un-Loebhugery'd, Infinite Reeds return next issue and Val is a delightful, frighteningly smart lass.

#13 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

^ Yes she is. I love her banter with her Uncle DOOM!

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#14 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

This was another awesome issue, probably my favorite of the three so far. Hickman is right up there with Morrison and Johns as my top three favorite writers.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#15 Deathy G1

Deathy G1

CHOMP!!

• Supporter
  • 4442 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

I really hope Johnny stays dead and Hickman stays on writing. This title is amazing.
Signatures are overrated.

#16 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18944 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hickman's in for the long run.

I knew the Reeds were up to no good.

RICHARDSES!

#17 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:13 AM

Val is maybe my favorite character...

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#18 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

I can't say enough good things about this book. It's my favorite book on the market right now. I love how Hickman thinks BIG but also gets the small, important little character moments and one liners in. His characterization of all the characters is superb and he manages the large ensemble brilliantly, making sure everyone gets their moment. Even the kids aren't annoying! Like I said before, I just love Val Ricahrds! Also Susan is hugging hot!!! I loved the black versions of their FF costumes. Both the writing and art work are stellar in this book.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#19 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

"sure"

best line

#20 Internet Jesus