Photo
- - - - -

Toys that were almost there, but need significant retooling to be just right.

29 replies to this topic

#1 Skullgrin2014

Skullgrin2014
  • Citizen
  • 2435 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

Okay, we all know that RTS, Primes sword handle was too thick and causes stress marks.

When Armada Predacon was released, he got some new tooling to increse the durability of the hinge joints within the chest and other significant places.

We, all know how Universe Galvatron for example, pops apart like nobodies business. Yet, we probably won't get a voyager for years and he's a healthy size to Cyclonus, Scourge, and Rodimus. Despite being too short among other figures.

I've always felt why not have the figure retooled to have some more hinged joints. Instead of those pop in joints. So none of his parts break off during Transformation. I like him at his size. And, considering Thunderwing and RTS Prime. I have this feeling deluxes will eventually be getting smaller anyways.

So if there was one toy I'd like retooled for more durability, and to fix significant problems. It would be Galvatron. The joints on the backpack could be held toghether with metal pins. Also, the squared pegs the backpack locks into. Those could be retooled as well to actually connect properly and hold the back pack like they were supposed too.

I figure they can even fix the the ball joint on the left arm. As well as the two shins that constantly pop off from the legs.

Well, thats at least the "one" toy i'd like to see retooled.

Also, I think TM Megatron deserves this treatment. He could get a showaccurate head. As well as golden disks and a clasp to hold them in his back. Maybe mordern open sculpt hands?

Edited by MonsterFromMars, 04 March 2011 - 12:16 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smolder-and-his-pal-Chopster/1497598050488573

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23565 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

I don't think Universe 2.0 Galvatron is a good enough toy all around to be worth putting the work into saving him. If something was going to be remolded either way, I'd rather see those remolding dollars go toward new parts to make a toy like WFC Megatron into a good Galvatron, like a new head, chest, and cannon barrel. I think that would be way more satisfying than merely making an unpopular toy slightly less of a mess.
"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#3 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28296 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Armada Predacon was remolded besides the minicon pegs? Huh.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#4 Skullgrin2014

Skullgrin2014
  • Citizen
  • 2435 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yes, he was remolded for some extra durability in some of the hinge joints.

Thats, especially why I'd love a TM Megatron colors re-releases. The minicons could just be repackaged. Or be sold as toys in his ship quarters.

http://www.cybertron...edacon tutorial Razorsaw this gives you an idea of what the new toolings are.

Well, yeah J I realize it won't happen. But I mostly made this thread for fun anyways. So, it's what I'd like to see even if it isn't a logical idea.

Edited by MonsterFromMars, 04 March 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#5 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 1375 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(MonsterFromMars @ Mar 4 2011, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats, especially why I'd love a TM Megatron colors re-releases. The minicons could just be repackaged. Or be sold as toys in his ship quarters.

Well, yeah J I realize it won't happen. But I mostly made this thread for fun anyways. So, it's what I'd like to see even if it isn't a logical idea.

Or make a new Minicon of the Pred ship. That woukld be awesome.

...well, now I know what I want for the next BW anniversary that Hasbro does anything for. Of course, I'd rather them give us new molds instead. Is it to much to ask for a Rattrap toy that doesn't suck?

Edited by Blade Raider, 04 March 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#6 tec

tec

Its a Gundam!!!

• Citizen
  • 15335 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Cybertron Crumplezone a better head little bit smaller and better henges for the wings and just a few more design details would make him perfect

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
When the first finger slipped on a keyboard without the tools to erase the mistake, tec was there. When the first pencil hit paper with no eraser to remove error, tec was there. When the first cave painting depicted a buffalo when it meant to show a horse, tec. was. there.
-Phage

#7 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4884 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

The most significant retooling I found for Armada Predacon is the size of the elbow joint. You can't use TM Megatron's forearms with Predacon's upper arms (at least not without some sort of modding).

I didn't check the linked thread fully yet, though I have two customs of that mold (one TM Megatron, one "night ops" Megatron).
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#8 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Too many to name, but there are a lot of TFs lately who could easily have had waist joints but did not. Smolder jumps up off the top of my head.

Armada Megatron and Sideways both could have been much better by the inclusion of knee joints (And elbows in SW's case)

A lot of Beast Era toys would have benefitted from less absurd grimaces on their faces...
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#9 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 4031 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm surprised that Masterpiece Megatron hasn't been mentioned. Obviously, the head could have been better. The scope could have been smaller.

All that, and I'd like his arms slightly modified, so that he can turn them in front of his chest. If only the part that lets you rotate his wrists was opposite. Then he's be able to (somewhat) rotate his arms in front of his chest.

Kevin
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#10 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4681 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Blade Raider @ Mar 4 2011, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(MonsterFromMars @ Mar 4 2011, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or make a new Minicon of the Pred ship. That woukld be awesome.

...well, now I know what I want for the next BW anniversary that Hasbro does anything for. Of course, I'd rather them give us new molds instead.

This.

Though I would be happy with just the Predacon mold in Megatron colours.

On topic, it would have been nice if the TM2 Megatron dragon neck wasn't that wierd floppy mess that it is. Maybe have it be ball jointed like TM Megatron's tail.

Edited by Shockwave 75, 04 March 2011 - 02:04 PM.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#11 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4884 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Oh yeah, Armada Megatron's a good point. Wish he had knees. Tidal Wave too. And of course, the US Tidal Wave colors are pretty bad.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#12 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20036 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Mar 4 2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And of course, the US Tidal Wave colors are pretty bad.

What's wrong with them?

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#13 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46663 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

If you gave Armada Tidal Wave working knees I would marry him.

#14 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 17278 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

The Universe Octran / Tankor I have has an issue in truck mode due to the props from his wings not resting flush inside the chassis; they jut out just enough to where his wheels can't roll freely.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#15 Guest_Mos'zambique_*

Guest_Mos'zambique_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Perceptor's backpack peg sucks hard.

#16 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

There go I, but for my face.

• Forum Moderator
  • 20135 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

It'd take some pretty insignificant retooling for 25th Anniversary Hound/Ravage to be the best toy of the last several years. Just a few millimeters of plastic added or removed here and there to make the missile launcher fit on Hound's shoulder, to stop his head from flopping around, and to make Ravage fit inside Soundwave's tape deck without excessive force.

#17 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4884 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Mar 4 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with them?

I just feel that the colors of the Armada cartoon and of the Japanese release of the figure are far better.
QUOTE(kyde)

#18 Skullgrin2014

Skullgrin2014
  • Citizen
  • 2435 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

If they do ever retool the TM Megatron toy. They can completely forego the handle to his tail cutlass. Just make a slot for his fist to slide into. It'd be so much better.

Oh and as for the new toolings the shoulders, elbows, insides of the chest panels, joints connecting the VTOL fans were all retooled. I think there's more than that though.

But I'd like even more new tooling, working roller blades, new head, new handle for the cutlass that let's the hand slot in, golden disks with slots to hold them. And adding even more sturdiness to the arms and vest panels.

There's really no point for an all new mold. They can just remove those minicons and add other features instead.

#19 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20036 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Mar 4 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Mar 4 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with them?

I just feel that the colors of the Armada cartoon and of the Japanese release of the figure are far better.

Fair, but I don't think that makes the Hasbro version bad.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#20 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3306 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

movie wreckage needs some way to clip his gun joint to his back, so his arms stay in place. and Dropkick needs more pegs for his shoulders.

Edited by Grotusque, 07 March 2011 - 08:35 AM.

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users