15 replies to this topic

#1 *Deathblade

*Deathblade
  • Citizen
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

For the curious

http://en.wikipedia....luster_headache

If so how do you deal? After a couple of pain free years, its starting up in february, with the seasonal change.... like clockwork. I havent started getting the headbangers yet, just the dull ones. For me, no over the counter stuff works, it just makes it more intense..though sometimes shorter. I have been getting these things off and on since around 14.

The usually come everyday for 2-3 months, and stress, noise and bright sunshine make them monumentally worse. I have found that rubbing my head continously lessens the pain. Any one else deal with this?

PS...I did not start this for any kind of pity party, just curious. My head is starting a dull banging right now.

Edited by *Deathblade, 22 February 2011 - 05:00 PM.

Signature removed for exceeding 500X200 size limitations.

#2 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Citizen
  • 2739 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

I've been having headaches since around elementary school. I tend to get some bad ones. I've also found massaging my head a bit helps. I think mine are stress-related and I've had a killer one for the last week now. I usually just take some Excedrin and take a nap. It will usually pass.

#3 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54779 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thankfully, no.

But I do get this:

http://en.wikipedia....llating_scotoma often followed by http://en.wikipedia....halgic_migraine

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30854 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thankfully I only get a few different flavours of migraines. Usually just take some acetaminophen with codeine and then a forced nap. Clears it right up and wake up to endorphins.

#5 Daring Dirk

Daring Dirk

That guy who never posts...

• Citizen
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 22 2011, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully, no.

But I do get this:

http://en.wikipedia....llating_scotoma often followed by http://en.wikipedia....halgic_migraine

THANK YOU KAL!!! I got the above for years and years before I realized they were a type of migraine, since it came with no pain. I heard of ocular migraines a few years back and figured that was what it was, and that I wasn't going blind or losing bits of my brain or anything. Never thought to Wiki it, but not sure I would have known how to search properly if I had. Once it was obvious that they were a form of migraine, I figured I just got the good end of the deal since mine come without any pain. Down to once a year or less, so no biggie for my life (assuming it stays like that). Oddly, I'd explained it to an eye doctor and had a full exam, he just said there was nothing wrong with my vision. Very sorry for those with painful migraines.
Insert funny Transformers-related image here.

#6 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17484 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

I suffer from just about every headache known to man, but fortunately am spared these (and true migrains). In fact, it's more notable when I *don't* have a headache than when I do...

#7 the last prince

the last prince

Something about an oblong crotch

• Citizen
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I don't suffer from those, but I do get really bad sinus headaches. Starts in the upper nose region then works its way around the right eye. That's all I get, and far too often. Usually 3-4 times a week. Some are severe enough for me to get nauseated and such. I just take some alka seltzer cold medicine and stay in a dark room for an hour. That usually helps. oh and tea.
Twitter - @mastertlp

Have a podcast called Unglorius Days with Robert and Patrick.

#8 *Deathblade

*Deathblade
  • Citizen
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(the last prince @ Feb 22 2011, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't suffer from those, but I do get really bad sinus headaches. Starts in the upper nose region then works its way around the right eye. That's all I get, and far too often. Usually 3-4 times a week. Some are severe enough for me to get nauseated and such. I just take some alka seltzer cold medicine and stay in a dark room for an hour. That usually helps. oh and tea.

A dark silent room helps. The pain is behind my left eye and in my teeth also. I used to think it was toothaches, so I got my wisdom teeth removed at like 20. I thought I was cool, until a couple of years later and I got them again. You're the second person that has mentioned tea.

Edited by *Deathblade, 22 February 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#9 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54779 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(Daring Dirk @ Feb 22 2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully, no.

But I do get this:

THANK YOU KAL!!! I got the above for years and years before I realized they were a type of migraine, since it came with no pain. I heard of ocular migraines a few years back and figured that was what it was, and that I wasn't going blind or losing bits of my brain or anything. Never thought to Wiki it, but not sure I would have known how to search properly if I had. Once it was obvious that they were a form of migraine, I figured I just got the good end of the deal since mine come without any pain. Down to once a year or less, so no biggie for my life (assuming it stays like that). Oddly, I'd explained it to an eye doctor and had a full exam, he just said there was nothing wrong with my vision. Very sorry for those with painful migraines.

I was about 13 or 14 the first time it ever happened. Of course my parents were too busy to give a crap that I was GOING BLIND simply saying "You aren't going blind". Now, granted, they were right.. but for that hour or so it was scary. Then following the visual episode I got a migraine. Lasted 3 days.

Thing is, over time, the pain of the migraines subsided into mild headaches that last about a day or so -- if I act fast enough with caffeine and ibuprofen I can get by with no pain. I haven't quite figured out the trigger yet, but I've narrowed it down to certain kinds of herbs in some italian food. Also, high blood pressure will trigger it. Like if I drink NyQuil too many days in a row or if I take the wrong kind of allergy medication.

#10 Daring Dirk

Daring Dirk

That guy who never posts...

• Citizen
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 22 2011, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully, no.

But I do get this:

I was about 13 or 14 the first time it ever happened. Of course my parents were too busy to give a crap that I was GOING BLIND simply saying "You aren't going blind". Now, granted, they were right.. but for that hour or so it was scary. Then following the visual episode I got a migraine. Lasted 3 days.

Thing is, over time, the pain of the migraines subsided into mild headaches that last about a day or so -- if I act fast enough with caffeine and ibuprofen I can get by with no pain. I haven't quite figured out the trigger yet, but I've narrowed it down to certain kinds of herbs in some italian food. Also, high blood pressure will trigger it. Like if I drink NyQuil too many days in a row or if I take the wrong kind of allergy medication.

Yeah, I'm just glad to be in good company. Have to say, losing vision to one side while driving 400 miles from the Bay Area to Los Angeles is NOT FUN. But, finally realizing that I'm not the only person with these episodes about 10 years ago was a blessing, that's for sure. Despite having MRIs and other scans, there had always been a nagging feeling that maybe, just maybe, I had a SPECIAL kind of brain tumor that doctors didn't know about, or something similar. When I finally had a bit of a headache after one of 'em it was a huge relief.
Insert funny Transformers-related image here.

#11 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wow, Ive never even heard of these. Thats some scary stuff right there.

#12 *Deathblade

*Deathblade
  • Citizen
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 22 2011, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully, no.

But I do get this:

hmmm.....I dont have hbp, but am in the risk category for it. Food for me doesn't seem to be a trigger, though I think stress is.

Edited by *Deathblade, 22 February 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#13 WaveRyder

WaveRyder

Guardian of love and..no wait, that's not right..

• Citizen
  • 2044 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Jesus, you bunch are a weak lot. XD The only time I get a headache is when I don't drink enough water.

#14 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10160 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:19 AM

I have had headaches since, I dunno, beginning of february. I also suffer from blurry vision pretty much all the time, and I have been to doctors a lot, who all tell me everything is fine with my eyes... pretty maddening, truth be told. I am suspecting it's because I don't sleep enough, usually 6-7 hours on the workdays and more on the weekends only.

#15 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54779 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Diabetees or high blood pressure are both things that can cause the symptoms you describe.

#16 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10160 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 23 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Diabetees or high blood pressure are both things that can cause the symptoms you describe.

I thought that too, but my blood pressure is usually normal (or low) and I have had several blood tests and blood sugar was in normal range. It also doesn't get better if I eat sugar.

On doctor told me it might be that my neck cramps partially block the blood vessels there, I am considering to see a chiropractor to see if it helps - but I have bad experiences with them, once a a chiropractor twisted my head by grabbing my jaw, and it resulted in one of my teeth getting broken. icon-screamer.gif

Edited by BB Shockwave, 24 February 2011 - 05:24 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users