Mirror's Edge 2 canceled

6 replies to this topic

#1 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 4787 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Development of Mirror's Edge 2 has been "stopped" by EA.

A team at DICE showed EA a prototype that was "declined", according to a Eurogamer Sweden translation of a Press 2 Play TV report.

"Patrick [Soderlund - EA driving and shooting game boss] acknowledges that Mirror's Edge didn't match up to their expectations regarding sales, and that has stopped the sequel that has been in development," declared the report, published originally in December.

"EA was shown a prototype, but declined with askance. The project has been stopped - involved parties at DICE are working on something else now. Patrick himself seems to have Mirror's Edge near his heart, but they are not in the business of charity."

Presumably the extra development is going into Battlefield 3 - EA's well publicised attempt at wrestling shooter supremacy from the Call of Duty series.

Patrick Soderlund confirmed last summer that "a small team" at DICE was 'on' a new Mirror's Edge game. Eurogamer pressed him on that point last November.

"Mirror's Edge is an IP that's close to my heart and EA's as well. It was a bold move from us. I'm proud we made it. It obviously didn't reach the commercial success we wanted, even though it wasn't bad at all," he said.

"I still think as a company we're going to talk about it when we're going to talk about it. What I can say is, we haven't buried it. We're absolutely continuing to support Mirror's Edge as an IP. When we're ready to talk about it, we'll talk about it."

EA Games boss Frank Gibeau went on record a few weeks later to say that the execution of Mirror's Edge "fell short". "There were issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative, and then there was no multiplayer either," he said.

http://www.eurogamer...rs-edge-2-pitch
Man, that's a bloody shame. But, given how nearly everywhere I went a few weeks after it's release, I should have expected that/
"By the way, you might see my arm lying around somewhere. If you could pick it up, that'd be great."

#2 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15580 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

I thought it was ok but I think Assassin's creed does much the same thing better.

#3 Frost181

Frost181

Now with full body armor and rocket launchers.

• Citizen
  • 3901 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

yup it was definitely the lack of multiplayer that killed it, a half assed online mode would've made the game sell like gangbusters. damn executives.

Sarcasm aside I generally liked the first one and was looking forward to the second so this news sucks.

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54864 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I still have my yellow messengers bag from the pre-order.

#5 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34996 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

I never played the first one, but I hear that it was good.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#6 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

The crowd goes wild at my demise.

• Citizen
  • 2840 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 16 2011, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have my yellow messengers bag from the pre-order.

That bag is the best free thing ive ever gotten...i use it to carry my stuff when i travel...its still holdin up well.

sad to hear no sequel though =[

Daemon Immortalis: The legends get older, the young get less bolder, I stay the same.

Can you tell me what stops the pain?
Self medication?
Science, saviors, tragedy?
How deep must we cut to reach sensation?
Find it. Bring it back to me
Where the void remains.

#7 Prime 2.0

Prime 2.0

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

• Citizen
  • 6292 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(BlitzwingHaz @ Feb 16 2011, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was ok but I think Assassin's creed does much the same thing better.

It wasnt that AC did it better per say but it did it easier theres a comic from some website out there that has a perfect example of that. In ME with 4-5 button presses youd get up a wall where as AC basically boils down to hold A. Which wouldnt really have worked for ME if it was that simplified and when you got moving properly it was awesome but that system was completely unforgiving.

That said i was really hoping ME2 would have fixed some of the issues or atleast toned down the complexity but what are ya gonna do. Maybe 14 years from now someone company will make that sequel, hell anythings possible now a days.

ADVENTURE TIME!!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users