Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

SD Gundam Discussion Thread ... uh... Part 2!

112 replies to this topic

#81 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

POW...! (by ~Ccamang on DA)

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I didn't realize that I could preview the quests for ranks higher than my current one.

I did see Cao Cao in a quest. But I didn't see anything else. *sniff* Where's my Chouhi?

Shake contents well.

#82 HellCat

HellCat

Spreading the good word of Gunpla

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Been playing around with Legend BB Knight Gundam.

I have to admit my SD interest is currently pretty low. The awkward end of the BBW show and model line kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Even the hype for Legend BB didn't really work for me since the line was previewed ages ago and releases are going to be quite spaced out (Musha not until July?).
That said, Knight is kinda impressive. The core body is the same one we saw on the Sangokuden kits, even the same connectors. However, little improvements have been made. The most noticeable are the arms which add a limited elbow joint and a much more secure connection for the wrist ball joints.
The kit is basically a plastic version of the now long gone SDX version. That's certainly not a bad thing as that was an excellent release of Knight Gundam. One change though is the addition of the same articulated cape as Kousonsan, meaning it can fan out for dramatic poses.

My SD interest might still be hibernating but for a guy who desperately needed an update this is pretty much perfect. You can even change his eye emotions and pull off the centaur mode!

#83 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

There are some fairly reasonable prices for the Sangokuden horse sets on Ebay right now for anyone who's looking for them.

Lu Bu & Red Hare -
http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4095wt_1046

Liu Bei & the horse he never uses - http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4100wt_1046

Zhao Yun and his horse (was it Fleeting Shadow? Eh, I forgot) - http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4096wt_1046

The Zhao Yun set is tempting if I had any spare money.

I did end up getting some extra Cobramaru toys. I gotta post some pics of the two Cobra Clan repaints that I did of them when I get a chance.

Shake contents well.

#84 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Umm... yeah.

I AM this crazy!

Muahahahahahahaha!

Edited by Zapper Zaku, 23 August 2012 - 12:26 PM.

Shake contents well.

#85 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Been a while since this thread has seen action but this seems worth a post.

Sangokuden has had two adaptations already but now it looks like we're getting a third! http://gundamguy.blo...gundam.html?m=1

Details are vague currently but what we know is that the Gundam actors have been recast. So Ryuubi will be Strike Gundam, Sousou will be Destiny Gundam and Sonken will be Gundam Astray Gold Frame. This seems a hat tip to a trivia nugget that claimed Sangokuden was a Three Kingdoms play being acted out by SD Gundams. There's also been intentionally sneaky shots of a Sazabi redo as well. Sangokuden/BBW apparently sold very well in Asia so this isn't too surprising but I honestly have to wonder what they can get out of the story at this point.

#86 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

I do like the new design.

Gah! >.< Does this mean they are going to reboot the whole story again? I wouldn't mind so much if there was some kind of closure to BBW

Wait... Nevermind. There's a Genbosu Ryofu. I'm good now.

Edited by Zapper Zaku, 06 March 2013 - 05:49 AM.

Shake contents well.

#87 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 2878 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sorry to go off topic, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I've been watching the earlier SD Gundam shorts (like Will Gundam Stand Up and the Rolling Colony Affair), and I'm curious. Is there a particular reason why Camille's eyes are drawn the way they are, with the stars and all that? I've looked him up and I've read nothing that hints to why he was animated that way.
You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

#88 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

At the end of Zeta, Kamille basically gets *scrubbed* and spends the final moments babbling about how he can see the stars and the planets. He gets over it slowly in the following series but SD chose to make it a part of his character design. It's kind of the same reason why, in The Rolling Colony Affair, his quiz answer is "They'll all die"; he was the lead of a series that was pretty brutal.

#89 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 2878 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Mar 6 2013, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of Zeta, Kamille basically gets *scrubbed* and spends the final moments babbling about how he can see the stars and the planets. He gets over it slowly in the following series but SD chose to make it a part of his character design. It's kind of the same reason why, in The Rolling Colony Affair, his quiz answer is "They'll all die"; he was the lead of a series that was pretty brutal.

Ah! It makes sense now. Thankie much.

Carry on.
You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

#90 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

I found some updated pics here - http://bandai-hobby.net/BB/index.html.

It looks like Liu Bei's going to be packing some heat this time. I'm loving the dragon cannon.

I really do hope they continue the anime with this. But I'm a little confused. One of the pictures of his looks quite.... um... phoenix-like... curious...

Shake contents well.

#91 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well, it looks like they already started making those reboot toys. Here's the new Liu Bei:

Shake contents well.

#92 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

I found a Diao Chan model kit on Ebay about a week or so ago. For one thing, I was very surprised to see a Diao Chan at all. I have seen barely anything about what the kit from the Bluray box set looks like. Second, the item description said that it was a not a Bandai kit (*reading company logo* KC the Toy Factory??? Really?). I wasn't sure about it but the item's pictures looked okay and the seller's rating was good so I took a chance.

The seller does have one other one (Link) but I decided to wait until I got it before I said anything.

As far as the seller is concerned, I think they did a good job. The package came two days ahead of the estimated delivery time, the model kit box was in perfect condition and the shipping was free (and the seller gave me a tracking number).

Here is the box:

Contents:

Comic (Looks like she's mad because the other girls have models but her is listed as having no value):

Here's the model put together real quick. I intend to paint the kit so the only stickers I used were the eyes. One thing that I noticed, though, is that though all the parts were there, they didn't exactly match the part numbers in the instructions. Most of the part are pretty secure. My main concern are the shoulders because they fall out easily but I have the same problem with the other Bandai kits I own. Also, the hair front and back pieces gave me a little trouble putting together all the way so there is a little gap on the side *shrug*.

I still wish they made the action figure for her (and several others) mostly because of the scale. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the kit. Diao Chan was definitely one that I wanted and I'm glad I had a chance to add her to my collection without paying $300+ for a Bluray set I don't have a player for.

Edited by Zapper Zaku, 03 April 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Shake contents well.

#93 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm still sad they didn't give us Mercurius and Vayeate but at least we got her.

The kit appears to be a knock off but a very good one if it is. A while back there were Chinese companies putting out odd mixed and matched Sangokuden bootlegs to create characters from other famous Chinese legends.

#94 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Okay, Random Old School SD Gundam find:

G Arms Scramble video - http://nicoviewer.net/sm1210393

Wow... icon-blitz.gif

LOL! Yeah... that was pretty much the longest toy ad I've ever seen.

Yay! Bloody Zaku in action! But, seriously, why does Captain have to get the final shot?

Shake contents well.

#95 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Aww, WHAT! C'mon!

Why can't we have these!?!?!? I want Commander Sazabi NOW! http://www.tomopop.c...rce-28496.phtml

Shake contents well.

#96 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

On the flipside to those depressing cancelled toys, Bandai will be doing a Phase Shift Deactive version of the new Strike inspired Ryuubi. Nothing too special but he comes with an acessory set. What's that entail? Basically all the super rare promo kits from the original run of Sangokuden!

http://gundamguy.blo...clusive-sd.html

#97 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I was watching that episode of Super G-Arms with the rock band again (good thing I saved it!) and it again had me. Since I'm still waiting for (hopefully) another anime for Sangokuden, I decided to do some more digging for information on G-Arms.

I carefully read through the translation for the Japanese wiki the Ganso series. I still don't understand everything, especially on the Zatarion side, but got some pretty interesting information.

Had I known more about G-Arms beforehand, other than the events in Lacroa and Ark, I could have predicted the plot behind season 2 of SDGF because it's pretty much a retelling what happened at the end of the G-Arms story. Former gundam ally turned evil with a hatred of Captain, revival of an evil mecha, defection of a Zaku who's disgruntled at being used by his superiors... (with a little less mopping, and a little more eventually becoming a space pirate. The toy make me laugh every time!) *shrug*

Though I'm a little disappointed at the unoriginal plot points, I am glad that SDGF did manage to add in yet another reference that was true to the original. Except General Zeong didn't survive as long as the Fuller did. (or whatever the translation for its name is)

I didn't realize that Command Gundam was so old. If what I understand is correct, he's been fighting the Fuller for a few hundred years.

As far as that Super G Arms episode from before, I did actually find out about the band ages ago. Their real name is the Crashers and they came about during the Gundam Force II story. They are actually spies for Captain Gundam and in the anime were in disguise as the Penalty Kick Oldies.

What I did not realize is that Captain F91 is an upgraded form of Captain Gundam, Fuhrer Commander is the upgraded form of Masked Commander, and that nosey gundam arguing with the monkey is actually an upgraded form of V Command Gundam (I am so not used to seeing Command Gundam without at least 50 weapons on him)

I'm really curious about that transformation of Captain and Fuhrer into Final Formula. Since G-Arms is supposed to be the far future of Lacroa and Ark, and with the mysterious arrival and disappearance of Knight Gundam with the whole Superior Dragon thing in Gaiden, it makes me really believe that they are at least strongly related, if not the very same being in the future.

Shake contents well.

#98 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Received my Deactive Ryuubi and Premiums set this week. Quicker than I expected, I haven't even received the retail Ryuubi yet!

I think if you have enough SDs this is worth getting though most of the items compliment the included Ryuubi quite well. The various weapons that combine to produce a two horse drawn carriage (very similar to what Kibaomaru had) are probably the best. I already had the 1/1 Imperial Seal and I wish they gave you more than one Zaku soldier. The transparent yellow swords are cool looking but their combined form lacks any real logic, looking more like something used in industrial logging.

Ryuubi himself is fun. I'm not sure how a deactive version works but the colour scheme looks nice and the overall logic works, especially since now Ryuubi's swords are the knives that were Strikes last line of defense.

Not sure if you'll be able to find these for sale elsewhere but as a Sangokuden fan it's at least welcome to have basically everything that was offered as a premium to Japanese fans. About the only thing missing are the energy effects for standard weapons and the big sheet of eye stickers but I can happily do without those.

#99 Zapper Zaku

Zapper Zaku

• Citizen
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

What is the story behind the deactive version, anyway? Reference to another gundam series or something like that??

Shake contents well.

#100 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 11803 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Zapper Zaku @ Sep 3 2013, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the story behind the deactive version, anyway? Reference to another gundam series or something like that??

The new Ryuubi is styled after Strike Gundam, the original hero machine of Gundam SEED. Strike and its 4 siblings pioneer various advances including Phase Shift Armour, a technology where the armour is charged with an electric current to give it a greatly increased edge against solid projectiles such as bullets, missiles, etc in addition to providing actual colour. However the setting initially also had nuclear reactions impossible and so various MS have to use a limited battery. When you have to power Phase Shift, the MS and a percentage of beam weapons it doesn't take much for the power to run out and a few times Strike had to continue to fight without the charged armour (indeed very early on the antagonists of the show calculate exactly how many shots it takes to knock the armour out for that battle). That look is what the Premium Ryuubi is referencing and why the swords are his only weapon (Strike has a knife in each hip and these were the absolute last resort weapon when it had no means to power anything more effective).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users