• Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Someone forgot the title card.

#62 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6129 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Starscream and Soundwave were fantastic.

Ratchet wasn't so bad himself.

Arcee's "small intestine" line was great.

The fight was fun enough.

The drones' response to Starscream's speech was kinda funny. Reminded me of the Battle Droids from the Clone Wars cartoon, which can only be a good thing.

Skyquake was cool. No way is he gone for good, I don't care how much talk there is about the stakes being real.

I wonder how the next sleeper agent with no vehicle mode will look. Car grill for a chest, tires on his shoulders? Maybe a big ol' Mercedes emblem on the crest of his helmet?

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 12 February 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#63 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1305 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Starscream definitely isn't a heavy-hitter in this show. How did he make second-in-command of the Decepticons if he could just get tossed aside like that? The whole Decepticon power structure doesn't make much sense. It is just Starscream and Soundwave and a bunch of "drones" that don't act like drones.

Fowler has got to be a robot. icon-fire.gif He has mad piloting skills for a big guy, and doesn't need any equipment!

QUOTE(crazyjw18 @ Feb 11 2011, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to wonder why Skyquake wouldn't still have whatever last alt mode he used still in memory. It's not like he was newly protoformed or transforming is new to these guys. I guess we can say stasis lock erases that data, but why would it?

I think scanning makes it way too easy to change vehicle modes. I like to think he was put in stasis in some kind of default mode that would make it easy to lock in an appropriate form when he woke up. Once he locks one in, it is a bigger deal to change it again.

But I doubt the writers put that much thought into it.

#64 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46090 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Four pages in a day?

The MLP thread has 10+

...just saying. icon-hotrod.gif

#65 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Temperamental Kuvrawk. You've been warned.

• Supporter
  • 2790 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Feb 12 2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Four pages in a day?

The MLP thread has 10+

...just saying. icon-hotrod.gif

But MLP FiM is consistently good. Prime only has it's moments.
3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3611 - 9787
I was Ursa'ed on 10/22/13!

#66 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46090 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I don't disagree but that's pretty bad for what Hasbro likely wants to be their "flagship" program.

#67 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12232 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Considering this is a Transformers forum, I think that honestly says something about the quality of Prime.

Especially compared to FIM.

#68 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9292 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

We save a lot of room not having to speculate what world the show takes place in.

Edited by Hand Lasers, 12 February 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#69 Hecate

Hecate

Kids can be cruel, Jack.

• Citizen
  • 27351 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

Isn't it because the FIM thread is full of spammy posts, 4chan memes, and pictures?

#70 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12232 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Hand Lasers @ Feb 12 2011, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We save a lot of room not having to discuss what world the show takes place in.

Not much choice since the show hasn't shown us the world aside from the desert and about 5 humans. Not much to say about a silo and a few rocky canyons.

I'm not saying that Prime lacks an interesting environment, but yeah, it totally lacks an interesting environment. Animated at least gave us a crazy future Detroit.

Not sure what is meant by spammy posts. There's plenty of discussion going on, but also some images and videos being tossed around. Not our fault if people aren't widespread taking screenshots and having fun with Prime. I only saw one post here with some avatars posted.

To be fair there are seperate topics for actual Prime toys(what little has been shown) and such, while FIM is all crammed in one place.

Frankly I find the tiny amount of Prime discussion disheartening and am not here to slam it. There's just not much to say.

#71 Hecate

Hecate

Kids can be cruel, Jack.

• Citizen
  • 27351 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

I'm not saying that Prime lacks an interesting environment, but yeah, it totally lacks an interesting environment.

Uh.

#72 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

Stating the Pony thread is equal to prime is silly. they arent equal icon-arcee.gif

For one the Pony thread is ONE thread. Prime has 6 threads.....

Anyways liked the show. I'm sorry but i dont take it seriously. Its a kids show, and the day i start taking a kids show THAT seriously i'm quitting the hobby. Anything else is just pathetic in my eyes.

I dont care The human wasnt wearing a flight suit. I dont care If quake had plane parts( they have been doing it for 25 years in toons, im not complaining about it NOW), toons get to cheat a little.

When i saw Skyquake, i thought instantly, Oh he would make a good Overlord repaint.

#73 Guest_Tramp_*

Guest_Tramp_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

I totally enjoyed this episode. Skyquake is one badaft MF and Ratchet was plumb loco. Starscream was brilliantly portrayed. Steve Blum perfectly capture's his conniving, backstabbing, treacherous power-grabbing personality. I can't wait until the next episode.

And about those two girls in front of the school, no, they were not the same girls Jack was speaking to in the first episode.

#74 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 1368 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

I think I may actually like the way BB talks in the Cyber Missions better than this. The beeps/buzzing/whatever is getting on my nerves. The odd part is it's never bugged me when Minicons do it or when R2-D2 does it. Maybe it's because I'm hearing the other half of the conversation and they'll ask him a question that I would really like to hear his answer to. Raf asked BB something that sounded interesting and no one really explains what BB said back.

Otherwise, not a bad episode. Animation's looks a lot better this time. It looks finished. Like that this show finally has a real intro. Did not like that the first 5 episodes only had a logo (I assume it was either not done yet or they meant for the first 5 to act as a movie).

I do hate they already killed off Skyquake. Mostly because I'm sure he'll be back as a zombie later and I slaggging hate zombies (my biggest problem with this series as a whole so far). I am glad Skyquake wasn't a Hulk rip off, you know, the "Skyquake smash!" type.

Also, the lip sync was off in some scenes. Mostly Starscream. It's possible that it's just the version I watched.

Ratchet was the single best part of this episode. He's crazy for SCIENCE!

I enjoyed the EradiTerrorVehiCon questioning Starscream.

Didn't care for him at first, but I'm enjoying Soundwave more every time I see him. I would like to see how he fights (umm, bot that is). His head makes me want to kitbash a Cyberjet.

Thank Primus they brought Megs back now. Couple of more episodes of Starscream yelling "I'm the leader" like a whiny fanboy would've gotten super annoying. That, and everybody pretty much knew Megs wasn't really dead except Starscream (well, he probably knew too and ignored it).

I really hope they turn Fowler's somewhat random appearance and use of expensive military vehicles into a run-on-gag. Hopfully upping the ante every time.

Edited by Blade Raider, 12 February 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#75 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34574 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

Overall, it wasn't a bad episode. My favorite bits had to be with Starscream and Soundwave. Steve Blum's performance is fantastic and they're doing really good making Soundwave a character without a voice (I'm hoping as the series progresses, Soundwave will finally Talk. I like to think of him like Silent Bob at the moment: able, but sees no reason to).

Bumblebee needs a voice. The beeping is getting annoying and isn't endearing. The Puppy Dog eyes don't help.

Peter's easing back into the role of Prime. Still coming off as stiff, but there are moments where he loosens up a bit. I'm optimistic by the end of the season he'll be back to the "Good Ol' Prime" voice. Can't very well expect the man to hit the gate running after twenty five years away from the character.

Combs as Ratchet is a joy. I'm loving him.

Skyquake was...boring. I get why he was part of the episode, but I found his bits tedious interludes to Starscream and Soundwave's shenanigans. But again, I understood why he was there - to give the kids to boom blam action! I will admit I liked it when he scanned Fowler's jet. "Air Superiority Acquired!" was a good line, I thought.

It was a decent episode overall. I'm eager to see where they go with Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave. Does Megatron remember Starscream's words?

Oh, and before I forget the animation is really nice and expressive when they want it to be. Starscream's expressions throughout the episode, but especially Megatron's reaction to having the Dark Energon pulled out of his chest. Props to the Animators for that one.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#76 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 2674 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

Bumblebee won't be getting a voice any time soon, maybe not even in Season 2, might as well stop mentioning it now.

Or create a smiley that means "Mute Bumblebee sucks"

#77 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 17008 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

EDIT: What DID bug me was the varying toughness of the armour Skyquake fight, where Skyquake was all but impervious to Prime's gun, but Bee could punch straight through his armour?

In comic book physics, fists are better than plasma.

A high point for the episode for me, however, was Soundwave. They manage to make the character say so much by saying absolutely nothing. At first, I was afraid he would simply be a tool for exposition - unlike Skyquake, this would be detrimental to an ongoing character - but really, his portrayal is amazingly clever and subtle.

Agreed. He's the high point of the series thus far - I want to cuddle his existence almost as frequently as I want to kick Fowler's.

After 6 episodes, this show badly seems in need of a heart, and is alarmingly more of a by-the-numbers cartoon. I have a hard time caring about any of the characters because, apart from Starscream and Megatron, none of them really seem to credibly care about anything. And it's just hard to emotionally bond with characters when before you can absorb what they say you want to slap them for how rigidly, dully, stupidly they said it.

I guess I just can't bring myself to be "alarmed" by a less than perfect cartoon. It's not Animated, but it's certainly not Energon. (I don't think the problem is the voice acting, because I think the lines would seem "rigid" in script form, too.)

We save a lot of room not having to speculate what world the show takes place in.

Honestly, I'm surprised that hasn't come up. It doesn't resemble the "real" Earth, and there's been surprisingly little worldbuilding, so I'm really pretty curious.

For one the Pony thread is ONE thread. Prime has 6 threads.....

And, of course, Prime is only six episodes in. (Yes, six, as in the number of twenty-two minute segments that have actually been broadcast.)

Bumblebee won't be getting a voice any time soon, maybe not even in Season 2, might as well stop mentioning it now.

Or create a smiley that means "Mute Bumblebee sucks"

This do?

#78 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46090 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:25 AM

I guess I just can't bring myself to be "alarmed" by a less than perfect cartoon. It's not Animated, but it's certainly not Energon. (I don't think the problem is the voice acting, because I think the lines would seem "rigid" in script form, too.)

Actually...

It kinda is like Energon so far except with a competent staff. It's not trying anything new. It's very rote and by the numbers.

I remain hopeful it will improve but it hasn't "hooked me" so far. Something both MLP and Renegades had managed to do by this point in their respective runs.

Edited by MrBlud, 13 February 2011 - 03:26 AM.

#79 Hecate

Hecate

Kids can be cruel, Jack.

• Citizen
  • 27351 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

It kinda is like Energon so far

Oh, no. No. You are not going to say that. Seriously. Not another "ROTF Prime is a big scary warmonger" load of bulljive again.

Please.

#80 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46090 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

I'm not saying it's as bad as Energon was.

Prime has competent scripting/voice acting/animation (so it's clearly superior on that basis alone) but it's very "standard" and plodding so far which was a problem (among many others) that Energon suffered from. It is very AEC in that aspect so if you have a particular problem with equating it to Energon simply substitute A or C instead. icon-arcee.gif

Edited by MrBlud, 13 February 2011 - 03:44 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users