Photo

Episode 06

177 replies to this topic

#41 Hecate

Hecate

Why would you wear a mask in the mask squad?

• Citizen
  • 28394 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

There's also that nice bit when Starscream is all "delete those coordinates" and Soundwave just keeps on playing the signal.

Turn left at any time with care

#42 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9502 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Yeah, the possibility of Megatron still being alive just freaks the holy hug out of Starscream.

#43 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4360 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

I'm not saying Skyquake is alive, but I would like to point out that just because someone closes their eyes doesn't mean they're dead, and we never actually see what Optimus and Bumblebee do with him.

They could bring him back if they wanted to. It just wouldn't be as easy as it was with Animated.
(Blurr being an exception)

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 12 February 2011 - 01:56 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#44 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46888 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

I'm not saying Skyquake is alive, but I would like to point out that just because someone closes their eyes doesn't mean they're dead, and we never actually see what Optimus and Bumblebee do with him.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
They verbally stated they would bury him. That sounds pretty dead to me.

Edited by MrBlud, 12 February 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#45 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Shipping Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8771 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Feb 11 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It also bugs me that this was a character introduction episode, and the only character trait of the new guy was "RARR ANGRY KILL."

Not really Skyquake wasn't just RARR ANGRY KILL, he was more deadset on his duty, especially with lines like "It would be a shame to crush you, bug, but it is my duty."

And maybe it's the Youtube quality, but it looked like Skyquake closed his eyes real quick rather than them fading out.

EDIT: What DID bug me was the varying toughness of the armour Skyquake fight, where Skyquake was all but impervious to Prime's gun, but Bee could punch straight through his armour?

Edited by Caboose!, 12 February 2011 - 02:22 AM.

#46 Hecate

Hecate

• Citizen
  • 28394 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

I come bearing rough Avatars.

Starscream:

Soundwave:

Skyquake:

Ratchet:

Fowler:

Starscream is very emotive the whole episode. If you want to request something, go for it.

Also:

Are these two girls visible at the bottom the same ones as from the pilot?

#47 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 20327 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

Starscream is by far the best part of the show so far. Though, the volcano was pretty funny. And the line about building an intestine.

#48 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

The thing to realize here is that Skyquake is a means to an end.

He has a thematic relation to the show's theme, but ultimately, his character serves more to aid the story and the situations the characters are in. He DOES have some characterization inherent to himself, shown by his loyalty to the Decepticon cause and his staunch adherence of the mission, but beyond that, he exists to do several things: serve as something for Starscream to seek, and to tie into Starscream's power struggle and attempts to gain control of the Decepticons. Furthermore, he also brings out more of Prime's character, and we get to see him as more than a typical G1 Prime-esque archetype; he tries to reason with his enemy, while simultaneously knowing he has to fight them. He also shows regret over Skyquake and Megatron, again giving us a bit of depth that will undoubtedly play into their future interaction.

A high point for the episode for me, however, was Soundwave. They manage to make the character say so much by saying absolutely nothing. At first, I was afraid he would simply be a tool for exposition - unlike Skyquake, this would be detrimental to an ongoing character - but really, his portrayal is amazingly clever and subtle. He makes his points by parroting everyone; his communication is through irony, and he wields information and his ability to watch from the shadows as his greatest weapon. Him undermining Starscream silently and without a word of actual dialogue, and proper use of his drone, makes Soundwave the first truly memorable incarnation of the character to me. He's more than just a gimmick with a cool voice, he's a spymaster whose initial impression leaves you both disarmed and frightened by the realization of what he's capable of.

Starscream is also a highlight. Steve Blum's performance is simultaneously weasley and insidious. Before him, Tom Kenny gave us a Starscream that was his G1 self's essence turned up to absolute 11, and as much time taking the piss out of his character concept was spent as it was pumping him up. That said, while Kenny was amazing, Blum has in a short time asserted himself as a Starscream that can slip from being cruel, dangerous, and frightening to cowardly and self serving more subtlety and ease than his predecessor. Every word out of Starscream's mouth is like oil, black as sin and slippery as an eel. Furthermore, he moves and carries himself in the manner of a vulture, and is animated thusly. All of these things come together and work together flawlessly.

Finally, I was satisfied with Bumblebee's performance. Through his interaction with others, his ability to speak has proved no obstacle to showing that he has dreams and goals here. It is a little shallow, but it does show that he has more to offer than simply showing up and beeping cutely at Raf. He comes off as a big kid, but one whose also been forced to fight and prove himself - and they have at least given us a decent foundation to build off of to use later on.

In my opinion, a very nice episode. I look forward to the next.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#49 Skeeve22

Skeeve22
  • Citizen
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

Has it ever been explained what is up with Bumblebee's lack of actual talking? I'm just assuming that he's speaking cybertronian or something, which explains why the rest of the autobots understand him fine. This, of course, does not explain Raf at all.

#50 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

They've pretty well indicated that that's a story that's left to be told.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#51 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 13572 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

The dialogue is tedious and lifeless, and the Skyquake battle choreography was poor too.

Starscream's voice acting and emotive body language is still the high point of the show, followed by Soundwave's echoing / haunting of him.

After 6 episodes, this show badly seems in need of a heart, and is alarmingly more of a by-the-numbers cartoon. I have a hard time caring about any of the characters because, apart from Starscream and Megatron, none of them really seem to credibly care about anything. And it's just hard to emotionally bond with characters when before you can absorb what they say you want to slap them for how rigidly, dully, stupidly they said it.

By 6 episodes in, G1 had had more fun and BW had much more character growth (The Web, anyone?).
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

#52 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'm not seeing it. Cullen's easing into Prime, Combs is clearly having a lot of fun as Ratchet, and I've appreciated the kids' performances since day one.

If anything, G1's recycling of stock cartoon plots seemed more mechanical than anything Prime has done. Certainly not what I would call "fun."

#53 Hecate

Hecate

• Citizen
  • 28394 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thylacine, I think you might have been abusing the nostalgia goggles a bit.

#54 Geoff

Geoff

he created the vibe...

• Supporter
  • 1613 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Transformers Prime is workmanlike whereas Transformers Animated was glorious.

Follow me on twitter

#55 Weremole

Weremole

Ah, what the heck. What is in a name?

• Citizen
  • 5852 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

By 6 episodes in, G1 had had more fun and BW had much more character growth (The Web, anyone?).

It's actually two episodes in still. The previous episode was a pilot chopped up into pieces. But I get your

Uploaded with ImageShack.us .

#56 Bobbington

Bobbington
  • Citizen
  • 277 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Never Give Up! @ Feb 12 2011, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, most certainly out of necessity more than anything. You see, those pretty much are the only human 3D models they have other than the kids, Fowler and Jack's mom (and they don't even have a flight suit for Fowler). That's also why the science fair presentations were framed so you wouldn't see teachers or classmates. That was pretty clever, mind you, because it still worked well.

#57 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 2819 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

Actualy I'm not sure if those girls are the same from the premiere.

Sierra had spiky hair and the other was blonde.

#58 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

The show's still not grabbing me at all. It isn't bad, it just... isn't good. Very lukewarm. I did enjoy the depictions of Soundwave and Ratchet, but those were just small moments in what seemed like a show that is... just there

#59 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5147 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

This show remains solidly mediocre. Although I will give it that the characterization is done well for the most part. I enjoy seeing an Optimus Prime who attempts to negotiate before charging into battle, and who mourns his fallen enemies. That part, I do like a lot.

#60 Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos
  • Citizen
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Feb 12 2011, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Furthermore, he also brings out more of Prime's character, and we get to see him as more than a typical G1 Prime-esque archetype; he tries to reason with his enemy, while simultaneously knowing he has to fight them.

He's also smart enough to know what his enemy wants. Instead of just suggesting that Starscream should seek peace because it's the right thing to do, he appeals to Starscream's ego by implying that peace would make others see him as a great leader.

For what it's worth, I believe Optimus would have bowed to obtain the truce, had Skyquake not interfered.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users