Photo

The My Little Pony Thread: By the Allsparkle!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4940 replies to this topic

#3461 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Oh no, I'm being quoted on ED now..... quite a bit more attention than I'm usually comfortable with.

I can understand why people are panicking, they don't have access to all the information, so a lot of things can be misinterpreted. My comments certainly aren't 100% clear (1. because even I only know part of the story, and 2. there is very little I can say being an employee on the show).

#3462 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

I think they all need to relax and remember that it's not just Lauren who makes the show. I doubt that season 2 is suddenly going to turn into a sickly sweet girly show or anything without Lauren behind the wheel. I mean, from what I've read she's still involved with the show and I can't see her allowing what she's created go down the toilet.

On a different note what does everyone think about Derpy being made an official character and what will that mean for her in season 2?

#3463 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8628 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Princess Luna @ May 8 2011, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wowee, everyone on Equestria Daily is freaking out [. . .] That's kinda insane...

You're new to internet fandom, aren't'cha?

icon-arcee.gif

#3464 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(LoomX @ May 8 2011, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a different note what does everyone think about Derpy being made an official character and what will that mean for her in season 2?

Her role in season 2 (to my understanding) is the same as season 1. A kind of 'Where's Waldo' visual gag for the fans. Instead of being edited into the scenes in post production she's actually showing up in the storyboards. I don't know if she will get an official name or speaking lines, but the Derpy joke scenes are now being planned out ahead of time instead of just thrown in as we go. I'm certainly not in the decision making process, this is just what I'm seeing from my perspective.

#3465 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no, I'm being quoted on ED now..... quite a bit more attention than I'm usually comfortable with.

I can understand why people are panicking, they don't have access to all the information, so a lot of things can be misinterpreted. My comments certainly aren't 100% clear (1. because even I only know part of the story, and 2. there is very little I can say being an employee on the show).

Quick, change your avatar to Lyra in a pair of shades and a trenchcoat!

#3466 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9418 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ah, I wish people on the internet wouldn't panic so much, lol. Personally, I have faith that Season 2 will be quite good.

#3467 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://www.equestria...ate-part-2.html

Edited by mariomarc, 08 May 2011 - 03:03 PM.

I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#3468 Hiatus

Hiatus
  • Citizen
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Her role in season 2 (to my understanding) is the same as season 1. A kind of 'Where's Waldo' visual gag for the fans. Instead of being edited into the scenes in post production she's actually showing up in the storyboards. I don't know if she will get an official name or speaking lines, but the Derpy joke scenes are now being planned out ahead of time instead of just thrown in as we go. I'm certainly not in the decision making process, this is just what I'm seeing from my perspective.

Oh my god... I hope that the Derpy will be the only one fanservice "nod" to the fans. "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes... this will kill the show :<

Nayuki: if your opinion matters there -- tell them please.

Edited by Kein, 08 May 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#3469 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds good to me. As much as I would like a Derpy episode, I think giving her a bigger role could possibly spoil the character (see Boba Fett in the Star Wars prequels). It's great that the people working on the show are giving her appearances more thought and I'd like to see her ocassionally interact with the main cast, similar to when she dropped the stuff on Twilight in Feelin' Pinkie Keen.

#3470 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(pao @ May 8 2011, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(mariomarc @ May 8 2011, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obvious prediction: Lauren has another project spooling up about the time the episodes get into production.

And obvious prediction is wrong. Darn! From her DA:

QUOTE(Lauren Faust)
*clarification: Story concepts and writers' meetings were completed several weeks ago, so my role is complete. I am not currently working on this show in any capacity at this time. Sorry for the confusion. While I'm at it, folks are asking if I left to work on another show. This is not the case. I had no other projects in the works when I stepped down.

#3471 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they called you animator staff no less. I dunno if anypony saw my correction of you being layout though.

#3472 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right Of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 1482 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ May 8 2011, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my god... I hope that the Derpy will be the only one fanservice "nod" to the fans. "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes... this will kill the show :<

Nayuki: if your opinion matters there -- tell them please.

I'm certain that "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes will NEVER happen. I'm sure that everypony on Faust's team have more than enough common sense than to let something like that take place in the show.

#3473 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ May 8 2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm certain that "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes will NEVER happen. I'm sure that everypony on Faust's team have more than enough common sense than to let something like that take place in the show.
QUOTE(Kein @ May 8 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trollestia is already pretty-much canon, just not to the degree the fanon's done with her.
Lesbian Dash will never be canon. The show is aimed for kids, little kids. They aren't going to throw-in something PG+.
The two psychotic breaks are already close enough. I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard about parents writing and complaining to Hasbro for them giving their kids nightmares or something.
Cupcakes, once again, they'll never throw something higher than PG in. I'd think the mental snaps would be pushing a PG rating.
But killing somepony, they'll clearly never do, not in that way. A Bird in the Hoof is probably as close as they'll ever get to dealing with death at all.

#3474 Hiatus

Hiatus
  • Citizen
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Trollestia is already pretty-much canon

Never was: http://i.imgur.com/LHnZV.png (and never will, I hope)

The episodes writer disagrees with you completely.

#3475 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5147 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

I always interpreted the things that Celestia does on the show as supposed to be a sign that she's more a of "big sister" kind of mentor to Twilight Sparkle and to show that she would prefer everyone to loosen up a little, rather than go stiff and grovel in her presence.

#3476 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5147 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Surprise! Every fan community is like that now.

#3477 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Zecora @ May 8 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm only speaking for myself, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away from being an open fan of this show just because this isn't the sort of fan community I'd like to be a part of.

Well, it's certainly the reason why *I* don't discuss the show here as fervently as I used to.

The fanbase started getting way too weird and obsessed and (mostly outside of this site) perverted.

#3478 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right Of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 1482 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ May 8 2011, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zecora @ May 8 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm only speaking for myself, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away from being an open fan of this show just because this isn't the sort of fan community I'd like to be a part of.

Well, it's certainly the reason why *I* don't discuss the show here as fervently as I used to.

The fanbase started getting way too weird and obsessed and (mostly outside of this site) perverted.

Just for the record, and I've mentioned it before in my very first post when I joined the Allspark, I've always hated when people take innocent shows like FiM and twist them into eye burning perversions. The pony threads here in the Allspark still remain one of the few best pony threads on the net. At least here, my eyes are free from the eye burning crap I find most everywhere else.

In the months since I joined the Allspark, it has gotten increasingly more difficult to search for FiM related things on the internet without running into a ton of said eye burning crap. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of the internet. The more time passes, the thicker the crap will get. I've learned to just block such things from my mind and focus on only the good and innocent FiM related things. Fortunately for ponyfolk like us, the good will always out weigh the bad.

As for no one asking what "Cupcakes" referred to, I didn't even know what that was all about at first when it originally came up in one of these threads. I'm probably one of the few that stay away from fics like that, so I remained unaware of what it was until somepony later on mentioned just a vague description of it. I really had no reason to ask about it. The way it was being mentioned when it first came up was more than enough to tell me that it's something to stay away from.

As for the fanbase getting way to weird and obsessed, I'm not sure how far something has to go before it becomes an obsession. I know I've made a few posts here recently that might seem over the top, perhaps in some emotional way. The feelings, at least in my posts, remain true. Even if a few posts may seem just a little exaggerated at times. But, that's part of the fun of posting.

Edited by Guardian Prime, 08 May 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#3479 PhantomFox

PhantomFox
  • Citizen
  • 202 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

How many times do I have to tell y'all, Celestia isn't a troll, she's just a commoner at heart and wishes ponies wouldn't be so stuffy and formal around her.

A new story updating Mondays.

#3480 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Eh, discussing the community is probably getting off-topic, but whether I like the show or like to discuss it is independent of any of its other fans. Now the productivity of such a discussion is another matter, and I like to think the Allspark discussions have struck a good balance.

You could have closed the doors back in December or January; you could have decided you didn't want random people (i.e., me) coming to a Transformers website for the sole purpose of discussing My Little Pony. The whole existing community (which at the time was pretty much here and /co/, from what I understand) could have done that. It probably would have saved us a few gallons of eye bleach by now.

It's not all like that though. I keep seeing fan works that enhance my appreciation that the team that created that show put enough depth into the world to make that possible ("Sunny Skies All Day Long"). Works that make me laugh by recontextualizing my favorite scenes ("Inglourious Ponies"). And artwork by a lot of talented people (I'm looking at an awesome rendering of an adult Scootaloo right now from ED's latest drawfriend thread).

Well, I've clearly gone on too long, but I suppose the point of all this is that if I were going to get wrapped up in worrying about being associated with a part of the fandom I don't participate in, I'd be just as hung up about liking FiM in the first place. I've pretty much gotten over that. I can't think of a single group with more than a couple dozen people that I could be associated with that doesn't have some objectionable part to it.

(P.S.: Totally in agreement with PhantomFox above!)

(P.P.S.: This is on the wrong thread, but what's up with the quartet at the Gala? Piano, cello, harp, and Sousaphone? A quick Google gives me a number of pieces written for piano and tuba, and one for tuba, percussion, harp, and cello, which comes close. An interesting mix, however. I would expect a string quartet to be the traditional choice for such an event.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users