Photo

The My Little Pony Thread: By the Allsparkle!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4956 replies to this topic

#2121 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

So Swarm definitely takes place after Suited for Success. Rarity is probably storing the dresses for the others until the Gala.

#2122 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

MIND. BLOWN.
I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#2123 Princess Luna

Princess Luna
  • Citizen
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Speechless.

#2124 AnkhChalice

AnkhChalice
  • Citizen
  • 1565 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

My mind has exploded.

#2125 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

First off:

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Mar 9 2011, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 9 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's pretty cool, actually. I'd love to have a pony version of myself appear as a background character in the show, lol. If I were an animator on it, I doubt I'd be able to resist doing so.

I've managed to resist so far. Besides, I wouldn't be a very attractive looking pony anyway.

So then Lyra isn't the embodiment of how you'd act if you were a pony,
not counting how everyone pairs her up with Bonbon.

Did we establish whether Suited came after or before 'Look before you sleep'?
Because Rarity's line about Applejack, 'got to mind those intimate details,
even though she's more concerned with sales' has been bugging me.

Finally:

#2126 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Mar 9 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So then Lyra isn't the embodiment of how you'd act if you were a pony,
not counting how everyone pairs her up with Bonbon.

My horrible slouching habit may have worked it's way into the bench scene... really I just like to add something silly into crowd scenes when I have time. Of course, everything still needs approval from supervisors/directors/hasbro/etc, so we never add anything outrageous.

The Lyra/Bonbon pairing I'd say is mostly coincidental. When setting up a crowd scene I tend to place ponies next to each other based on their colors as well as the colors of the surroundings. You want the colors to compliment each other but also not draw attention away from the focus of the scene. Lyra/Bonbon look good next to each other, which is why it just seems to happen most of the time. I do like how it's played out amongst the fans (I can kinda see them as being best friends).

#2127 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9332 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

They certainly make an amusing pair in comics. Lyra's coloring is probably one of my favorites among the background ponies, along with Rose.

#2128 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

@Nayuki
So, the question on everypony's mind:

#2129 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Temperamental Kuvrawk. You've been warned.

• Supporter
  • 2748 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

More importantly, Nayuki, can you give us a proper episode timeline once the season has fully aired?
3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3611 - 9787
I was Ursa'ed on 10/22/13!

#2130 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

That's the other thing I was gonna ask,
but then the browser went all weird on me
and lost what I typed.

Even a timeline of current episodes would me nice.

#2131 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4655 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Mar 9 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did we establish whether Suited came after or before 'Look before you sleep'?
Because Rarity's line about Applejack, 'got to mind those intimate details,
even though she's more concerned with sales' has been bugging me.

Why's that? Applejack doesn't care for all that high society mucky muck...she's heading to the gala to make bank!

#2132 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Mar 9 2011, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Nayuki
So, the question on everypony's mind:

I voted for Twilight Sparkle, but it's really a tough question, since I love them all.

As for a series timeline... I've never seen one. That's something probably only Lauren could answer.

Edit: Also keep in mind that many of the episodes were probably written without a specific timeline in mind.

Edited by Nayuki, 09 March 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#2133 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 20154 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

There does seem to be a fair amount of surprisingly thorough continuity though, as shown by that dress screenshot.

#2134 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10054 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

Nayuki - welcome to the board! And LOL, I laughed so much when I noticed that scene of Lyra in Fall Weather Friends. icon-hotrod.gif

Quick question - I hope you have the authority to answer this one - do you have some sort of a "series bible" you use for references? And another - were some of the background ponies, like Ditzy Doo (Derpy), Lyra, etc... designed at random by you and your team, or was their appearance (colors, mane, cutie mark) already pre-defined in said "bible"?

Something else - Hmm, I haven't seen this one yet: Princess Celestia Video on Hasbro's site.

It actually says that Celestia is rumored to be over 1000 years old, and that she is the only pony with a unicorn's horn and pegasus wings. (Yep, people are again forgetting about Luna).

Edited by BB Shockwave, 10 March 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#2135 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Mar 9 2011, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question - I hope you have the authority to answer this one - do you have some sort of a "series bible" you use for references? And another - were some of the background ponies, like Ditzy Doo (Derpy), Lyra, etc... designed at random by you and your team, or was their appearance (colors, mane, cutie mark) already pre-defined in said "bible"?

I'm not sure I can talk about the "series bible", so I won't say what it entails, but it probably isn't as robust as you're imagining.

As for the background ponies, character design doesn't fall into my department. Their appearance certainly isn't random, all the characters (colors, mane, cutie mark) are approved by Hasbro during the design and builds process before it gets to layout and animation.

It actually says that Celestia is rumored to be over 1000 years old, and that she is the only pony with a unicorn's horn and pegasus wings. (Yep, people are again forgetting about Luna).

Luna who?

#2136 TooManyBunnies

TooManyBunnies
  • Protoform
  • 25 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

Here's what FlashInThePan, another Studio B layout artist, said on /co/ when I asked him about the series bible (specifically about whether it included pony cosmology and laws of magic):

"The show bible that I've seen doesn't go into that much detail. It wouldn't surprise me if there's more of that kind of thing in Lauren's personal notes, but I haven't seen it. It does talk about where the various races of ponies come from, how they are stewards for nature, etc., etc. It's detailed, but not hugely detailed."

(source)

Lauren has also disavowed any intentional timeline besides air date on her DeviantArt.

#2137 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2111 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Just for those who might not have seen the image thread (indulge me!), today's Transformers Mosaic comic is by me, and is a pony crossover! :v

http://transformers-...rmers-200392059

#2138 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10054 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Mar 10 2011, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure I can talk about the "series bible", so I won't say what it entails, but it probably isn't as robust as you're imagining.

As for the background ponies, character design doesn't fall into my department. Their appearance certainly isn't random, all the characters (colors, mane, cutie mark) are approved by Hasbro during the design and builds process before it gets to layout and animation.

Thanks for the confirmation! Well, that gives me hope that Hasbro will release at least some of them as toys. icon-hotrod.gif

#2139 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2111 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Now that's interesting. If the ponies have been approved by Hasbro, does that mean they have official names too?

Or are the names a secret? Or are they just PONY 1, PONY 2 etc

#2140 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 12804 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hasbro approval may simply be a legal CYA to make sure no one slips Sodomuffin or the like into a background shot.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users