Photo
- - - - -

Does Blurr from the Drift mold do it for you?

89 replies to this topic

#61 Detour

Detour

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Supporter
  • 17614 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 4 2011, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(FloroDery @ Feb 4 2011, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mold itself looks beautiful, but I just don't think it fits Blurr. I like when the design itself fits the character's power/function and a sleeker athletic robot mode + car would be a much better Blurr if you ask me.

Since it was you who created the character - I always wondered, was the 7-shaped antenna on his helmet inspired by the lighting-bolt "antenna" the Flash wears on his costume's ears?

Wow.

The account name is a joke, you are aware, yes?

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#62 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

12-24: Chicago Cubs - Dead And Loving It

• Community Manager
  • 26178 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Feb 4 2011, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mold itself looks beautiful, but I just don't think it fits Blurr. I like when the design itself fits the character's power/function and a sleeker athletic robot mode + car would be a much better Blurr if you ask me.

Since it was you who created the character - I always wondered, was the 7-shaped antenna on his helmet inspired by the lighting-bolt "antenna" the Flash wears on his costume's ears?

Wow.

That's funny. I can't draw a straight line to save my life and I still get people commending me for the Wheelimus Prime pic that was on Bigbot back in the day. My name was a joke too people. icon-blitz.gif

#63 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48488 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

I love him and think he's great. He's pretty perfect and one of my favorite Generations molds.

And as far as small retool, sure his head and spoiler don't amount to much, but the two pistols and giant sniper rifle are among the most extensive retools we've received. I mean how often do we get new weapons for a retool? Hardly ever! icon-hotrod.gif

Randy

#64 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17614 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, off the top of my head, all I can think of recently that got a new weapon with its retool are Movie Evac and that first ROTF Bumblebee.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#65 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The devil himself would have to call them scum

• Citizen
  • 16940 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Well, we COULD point out Recon Ironhide, but that was a couple of years and three or four other redecos since the original.

#66 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12688 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Ramjet?

#67 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41526 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

And I have to say...he really doesn't do it for me as a stand-in. Blurr was a sleek cybertronian sportscar. This Blurr is burly. He's clunky. Other than the head and the color, what really identifies him in a significant way to the G1 figure? Nothing that I can much see.

Nobody looks like Drift does. Yet Drift still had to be repainted. Head and color is the only thing that would identify whoever was the repaint if it wasn't Blurr.

Still, when a character reformats their Cybertronian mode into an Earth mode, you expect there to be changes.
It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#68 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13272 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

No sir, I don't like it. Had we never seen nimated Blurr, I think I may have been ok with him (though the head still kills me) but after that beautiful, sleek sculpt Blift looks too chunky and chinny.
PApddmT.jpg

#69 Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies
  • Citizen
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Bainreese @ Feb 3 2011, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But as of now...does this Blurr do it for you as an adequate homage fitting in with the rest of the CHUG(or whatever you may call the amalgamation of G1 homages) figures on your shelf?

No. I don't like the mold anyway, and was massively shocked at how bad it was when I got it as it got so much praise, but for Blurr it is even worse.
I'm also not a fan of the head. It doesn't remind me of G1 Blurr and I'm not a fan of IDW so it's just got no appeal to me.

Instead I prefer Animated Blurr. He reminds me of G1 Blurr and whilst I don't think his proportions clash with Classics personally, any issues people have can be easily passed off as his tech spec heritage.
Plus it looks great next to MP Rodimus.

#70 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6894 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Never Give Up! @ Feb 4 2011, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it works, but Drift's a cooler character so I'd prefer his toy.

#71 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17614 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(C16LioConvoy @ Feb 4 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[trollface]

He probably meant "looks cooler".

#72 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1320 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

No. Not that I ever really liked the powder-blue moviebot. All he really had going for him was one of the best Cybertronian vehicles modes of the era ever. Which the Drift car isn't. Also?no shield.

Edited by Starfield, 04 February 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#73 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6894 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Feb 4 2011, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(C16LioConvoy @ Feb 4 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[trollface]

He probably meant "looks cooler".

I'm pretty sure she said character and meant it, unfortunately.

#74 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10505 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Feb 4 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.

Someone from another board led me to believe he was THE Floro Dery. And... why not? I mean, I met Simon Furman on a message board once. Weirder things have happened.

But thanks for clearing that up... icon-hotrod.gif (Now excuse me, I have to go slap that misinformant silly)

Edited by BB Shockwave, 04 February 2011 - 02:34 PM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#75 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17614 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 4 2011, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone from another board led me to believe he was THE Floro Dery. And... why not? I mean, I met Simon Furman on a message board once. Weirder things have happened.

But thanks for clearing that up... icon-hotrod.gif (Now excuse me, I have to go slap that misinformant silly)

When Floro Dery visits message boards, it tends to be under fake names, while decrying people for dimishing Floro's many magnificent contributions to the Transformers mythos and daring to suggest someone came up with the concept of a transforming planet before he did.

http://tfwiki.net/wi...e_modern_fandom

#76 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

Manly things, like a tiger ripping apart a gazelle, or a lawyer.

• Citizen
  • 3128 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I was never a big fan of the character (if fact I hated him and he annoyed the living jive out of me) in G1. But he grew on me in Animated, and the TFA toy of him sort of depicts him as he should be. Unfortunately, that toy sucked.

Now this Blurr harkens back to the original by being designed after the IDW version and referencing Animated Blurr in the bio.... me very likey; it takes the best of each Blurr and puts it in one toy. And me very likey even more after reading some of this thread. icon-hotrod.gif
There's only room in here for one,
And I've decided it's not you.
I had to do what must be done.
YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT TOO!
Suddenly I'm feeling strange...

#77 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7519 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Works just fine for me!

#78 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34840 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm more then satisfied, even if the head sculpt is rather odd (Not reading IDW and all that).
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#79 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35171 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Like many others, I like the toy, but don't like the new head. It just doesn't have that Blurr look to it. I did pick it up though, in the hopes that there will be a third party head created for it to make it look more like the G1 head.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#80 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

A *good* G1-ish style third party replacement head would probably satisfy me with the current Blurr mold.

QUOTE(JazzMeister14 @ Feb 4 2011, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hiding the hip armor around the back looks pretty cool! Can you still put the rifle on the back when it's like that, and if you point his shoulder armor up does it get in the way? If it isn't a bother could someone put a picture of the hip armor around the back and his shoulder armor pointed up. I'd check, but I'm studying abroad right now and don't have my collection at the moment. (I did, however, find my holy grail TM2 Blackarachnia, whom I have never seen during my childhood icon-silverbolt.gif)

Putting the hip armor around the back doesn't hinder the rifle being placed there at all. There's a perfectly sized space for it still there. Using that configuration hinders lateral shoulder movement, although you'll get some of that back if you point the shoulder armor up. Here's some more pics:

And with the shoulder armor pointing up like some people like to use:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users