Cybertron Scouts in Generations?

59 replies to this topic

#41 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 27883 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Undermine's robot mode is untraditional, but I love it so very very much.

#42 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 2683 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Jan 17 2011, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just don't get why they keep re-releasing these molds, of all things. The robot modes for Backstop and Undermine are some of the worst in recent memory. Backstop is a squatty side-view of a rhino with extra legs, head and an arm growing out of its ass, and Undermine's robot mode actually has less functional arms and head than his alt mode. How does that even begin to make sense?

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jan 17 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Undermine's robot mode is untraditional, but I love it so very very much.

I liked him a lot better once I realized that he basically has the same head as Submarauder's pretender shell. In fact, if they redeco'd him in Submarauder's color scheme, I would snatch that up pretty quick.

#43 Kil

Kil
  • Citizen
  • 6646 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Jan 17 2011, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just don't get why they keep re-releasing these molds, of all things. The robot modes for Backstop and Undermine are some of the worst in recent memory. Backstop is a squatty side-view of a rhino with extra legs, head and an arm growing out of its ass, and Undermine's robot mode actually has less functional arms and head than his alt mode. How does that even begin to make sense?

Backstop and Undermine are awesome toys. Undermine's redeco Repugnus is even more awesome. Wreckloose, on the other hand.... not so much with the awesome.

#44 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48041 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Dinoshout is awesome too. I liked him and Undermine so much (as they are very different) I bought both instead of just one (which I wasn't buying two of anything besides Master Megatron during Cybertron).

Randy

#45 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 17127 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jan 17 2011, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wreckloose and Undermine

(Or check out the article on the front page: http://www.allspark....t/view/8338/20/ )

Wreckloose's new colors remind me of BW Iguanus (the first one).

Anyone else get that vibe?

And yes, for those who are wondering -

It's just easier for toy companies to make redecoes or to repackage previously released product whenever the stores want exclusive product.

For example, back in '88 TRU wanted Hasbro to produce some exclusive Joe product for their stores. The end result was the Night Force subset, which consisted of select figures from the previous year's assortment and what "classic" vehicle molds they hadn't yet farmed out to Brazil or India, all of which were redone in black & gray. Thing is, Hasbro's policy of carrying product over for a full release year meant that the original 1987 versions of all those Night Force figures were still shipping to stores. As such, you could have hypothetically had the general release 1987 Falcon figure sitting on the pegs next to his Night Force incarnation.

Given that the auction headings said "TF Club" on them, I'm wondering if these weren't intended as exclusives for general release somewhere. Backstop would, obviously, have to be redecoed as the original decos might still be on the shelves. But the other two haven't seen the light of day in a while. Furthermore, the fact that Backstop's bio has been altered suggests that we might even be looking at a separate character (kinda like how the Target redecoes of the Energon and Cybertron scouts were supposed to be the Movie-verse versions of those characters).
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#46 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 5554 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Huh. All three of these are new characters. Which means I can repurpose three toys I really like into some universe I actually give a crap about, so that's nice.

People don't like Wreckloose? Maybe it was just due to how much I missed Beast Wars at the time, but I remember him being awesome.

#47 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 3839 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Chip @ Jan 17 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh. All three of these are new characters. Which means I can repurpose three toys I really like into some universe I actually give a crap about, so that's nice.

People don't like Wreckloose? Maybe it was just due to how much I missed Beast Wars at the time, but I remember him being awesome.

That's because he is awesome. How can a Komodo dragon wearing a battle helmet with moose antlers not be awesome?
If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#48 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jan 17 2011, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Edit* Every time I look at this Backstop, the more I want him. Why do I actually have to like that mold despite its countless flaws! icon-fire.gif

Insanity? icon-waspy.gif

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#49 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 124 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

I think I see an odd Transmetal Rinox homage in Backstop's colors. Not sure, though.

#50 Adam16bit

Adam16bit

I Like Toys

• Citizen
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(gpilkay @ Jan 17 2011, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I see an odd Transmetal Rinox homage in Backstop's colors. Not sure, though.

That's what I saw, and why I will buy one. Unless it ends up like that sassin'-frassin' Mini-Con 8-pack in Bulgaria or whatever.

#51 M Sipher

M Sipher

Tinja Nurtles.

• Citizen
  • 10447 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Innnnnnnteresting. I will certainly have to get Backstop... and just repurpose the other two.

M "Kinda Wish They HAD Redecoed The Others, But Oh Well" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#52 Aquaslash

Aquaslash

You done hug'd up now!

• Citizen
  • 673 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Frag. I saw the topic and thought of Scout class characters from War For Cybertron :/
I'll put something here eventually

#53 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 1368 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

I gotta say, I refused to get Backstop back in Cybertron, but after the movie lines I think I want him more than say, Arcee, that f***ing Ratchet mold that won't just melt already, or a few others.

So Wreckloose is getting a re-release (with blue Cyber Key. That looks better.), eh? That makes me happy because he's one of the few TFs I regret selling when I had to thin out my collection a few years back.

As for Undermine, he's still one of my favorites from Cybertron, but I wish he'd get a new paint job or they'd re-release the red version instead so I have a good excuse to buy another one.

Edited by Blade Raider, 17 January 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#54 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Beast Mayhem Hangoutcateer

• Citizen
  • 22235 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

yeah if Wreckloose had had new colours I'd have been all over that... the mold is great ... like a homage to Transmetal 2s but... BACKSTOP? sorry no
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

#55 Hardbot

Hardbot

Hush, now! Listen to your master.

• Citizen
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Wreckloose always remided me of a Beast Wars Basic.

As far as what line they belong to: I was under the impression that Hasbro was replacing "Transformers" with RtS. But since these 3 have no rubsigns, they do not fit into RtS. They are definately not Generations, as Generations has no Scout Class and "Generations" is not on the package.

I keep a personal checklist that is catagorized by year, line and price point and I am dumping these 3 under RtS with an asterisk by their names.

#56 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus
  • Citizen
  • 2096 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE(hardbot @ Jan 18 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as what line they belong to: I was under the impression that Hasbro was replacing "Transformers" with RtS. But since these 3 have no rubsigns, they do not fit into RtS. They are definately not Generations, as Generations has no Scout Class and "Generations" is not on the package.

I keep a personal checklist that is catagorized by year, line and price point and I am dumping these 3 under RtS with an asterisk by their names.

Actually, these would probably fall into the same category as the minicon repaints we got a few months ago
http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

More than likely, they are intended for "secondary markets" and won't appear at mass retail (unless Walmart gets a bunch in for a Christmas push like this year). If anything, I'd classify them as "non-traditional" releases and move on (especially before people here start arguing the schematics about the non-existent differences between TRansformers product lines)

I AM a bit surprised to see Backstop get a new color set. My understanding was that these "dollar store" repacks were put together by what was available at whichever factory Hasbro was using when they needed to be made, but Backstop shows some development work went into him. That and the fact all three got new bios is very interesting.

#57 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 4254 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Heh. Undermine undermines.

#58 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41493 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(hardbot @ Jan 18 2011, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it too much to hope for actual Beast Wars basics?
It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#59 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48041 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Yes they're long gone.

Randy

#60 Hecate

Hecate

Kids can be cruel, Jack.