21 replies to this topic

#1 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6113 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Long Story Short: It comes out on September 2011 so say ign.

Darth Vader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm officially announced the Blu-ray release of the entire Star Wars saga today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. The Blu-rays are now available for online pre-order and are slated for release September 2011.

All six feature films in George Lucas' epic sci-fi saga will be available for the first time in one complete set. The following three distinct sets will be released:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)

Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)

Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

The Complete Saga BD will include three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by Lord Vader and his Imperial Stormtroopers, Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn appeared at CES and said, "The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format. ... The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

EDIT: I need to buy a blu ray player. And $180? I think I'll wait for that to drop down a bit in price too.

Edited by UnicronusPrime, 06 January 2011 - 03:50 PM.

I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#2 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 5321 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Guess Lucas wanted yet another summer home.
SUPERHERO TIME!!!! Ruining Jokes For Everyone!

TWITTER: Paladin4221

#3 Hg Dragon

Hg Dragon

Shenaniganizer

• Citizen
  • 2371 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

If they come with the original, unaltered theatrical versions as well as Lucas's "re-imaginings," I'll probably pick up a copy. I've never owned any previous versions of these movies and I've always wanted to. Don't know about $180 dollars though.

#4 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6113 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Please note its $180CND and $140USD.

I might border hop to get it if thats the case.
I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#5 TrapDoor

TrapDoor

Me and My Secretary Bird

• Citizen
  • 3704 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(UnicronusPrime @ Jan 6 2011, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But...if you switch you're money over...arn't you paying the same?

#6 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9370 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(TrapDoor @ Jan 6 2011, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(UnicronusPrime @ Jan 6 2011, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But...if you switch you're money over...arn't you paying the same?

According to XE.com, presently: 140.00 USD = 139.523 CAD

So basically, we're being ripped off. Once again. Plus you might be able to get it back over the border sans tax.

I think I'll pass on this, though. I'll rent it to see what the quality is like, but I'm no Nute Gunray. There's only so far I'm willing to be taken for a ride.

#7 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

I've been meaning to get the full collection for my personal collection, and this was what I've been waiting for. Hope it turns up good, although I'll probably get DVD copies too eventully.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3298 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Meh, pass. Unless George has a sudden turn of heart (if he even still has one) and releases the original takes on III-IV, then I can easily pass this up. I like me some Blu-Ray HD, but the re-imagined versions just aren't worth it. I already have all six on DVD (I got the prequels for the Rifftrax-viewing) and that's all I need.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 06 January 2011 - 06:00 PM.

0n39.png

#9 Ginrai

Ginrai

6th Ranger equivalent

• Citizen
  • 4298 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

180?

Amazon.com says just 90..

http://www.amazon.co...E...5602&sr=1-1

Edited by Ginrai, 06 January 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Codename: Ginrai
Code No.: C-307
Level: 76
Origin: U.S.A.

Profile: A gentle intellectual, he is usually a quiet commander, but when the Destrons start attacking, he becomes a warrior whose bravery is second to none. Well versed in various martial arts, he is willing to lay down his life to defend against destruction and invasion.

Trust me....it's better to have a well defined collection over a vast one.

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9370 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Ginrai @ Jan 6 2011, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
180?

Amazon.com says just 90..

http://www.amazon.co...E...5602&sr=1-1

The base price is the reported $140 USD, cut down to $90. Similarly, Amazon.ca's original price is $180, but cut to $125.

http://www.amazon.ca...;pf_rd_i=915398

Still a rip considering $90 USD is $89.73 CDN. Not that I'd have bought it either way, but the phenomenon isn't confined to Blu-Rays.

#11 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

?69.99 on Amazon UK, which is about $108 USD

Amazon UK

After getting a Blu-Ray player for Christmas I was wondering when Lucas would release Star Wars on Blu-Ray. Here's hoping the special features are worth buying the saga on yet another format (maybe they'll include the Holiday Special icon-fire.gif )

#12 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35066 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Preordered!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#13 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 2074 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(Hg Dragon @ Jan 6 2011, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they come with the original, unaltered theatrical versions as well as Lucas's "re-imaginings," I'll probably pick up a copy.

Speaking of the altered versions, my girlfriend saw Star Wars for the first time last year, on her request (we've been trying watch through all the well-known films either of us have missed). We watched the film on DVD, so it was the altered version. Even having not seen Star Wars before, she picked out the obtrusive CGI pretty much immediately. I hadn't seen the film since the 1997 cinematic re-release, and the computer effects were more out-of-place than I remembered, just not gelling with the rest of the visuals. I also hope that the original films are an option on the BDs, not because I'm a Star Wars purist, or a fan of the franchise (I'm neither), but because they don't look so damn awkward.
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#14 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9370 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Anonymous X @ Jan 6 2011, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also hope that the original films are an option on the BDs, not because I'm a Star Wars purist, or a fan of the franchise (I'm neither), but because they don't look so damn awkward.

If they ever are, it won't be with this first round. The restoration of the unaltered scenes simply hasn't been done; and George Lucas certainly isn't prioritizing it. Even the DVD releases of the theatrical cuts a few years back were simply transfers of the old 90s Laserdisc; letterboxed widescreen as opposed to anamorphic enhancement, etc. Though it probably wouldn't have been too difficult to simply restore the unaltered scenes up to the quality of special edition and use DVD's seamless branching feature to include both cuts on the same disc, they weren't willing to do it.

Someday, maybe. But not this time.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 06 January 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#15 Mugen no Ken

Mugen no Ken

ROCKET DRILL SPACE KIIIIIIICK!

• Citizen
  • 1477 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

I like that in addition to the whole thing, they split the boxes between trilogies, too.

I can just buy the OT if money gets tight in September! icon-hotrod.gif
*Twitter
*City of Heroes Global Name: @MugenNoKen
*AIM Username: Infinity Greymon
*Xbox Live Gamertag: kenkabanchou

#16 Prime 2.0

Prime 2.0

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

• Citizen
  • 6292 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

iam just glad they split it. I really have no need for Blu-ray versions of the prequels. Its bad enough i have Ep2 and 3 on dvd rotting in my collection.
I dont need their blu ray counter parts uglying up the place.

Man I hope they have both the original and updated versions on the disc's tho, it would be nice to see the Han shot first/old Anakin version without having to drag out the VCR.

ADVENTURE TIME!!!!

#17 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 4707 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:20 AM

Then next year will be the 3D Phantom Menace which should be available on 3DS, PSP2 and the laptops in stereoscopic 3D.

"Do not be led by others, awaken your own mind, amass your own experience, and decide for yourself your own path." -The Atharva Veda

#18 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9370 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

Unless it's a new type of 3-D that also adds depth to the story, count me out. icon-arcee.gif

#19 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

I am of the belief that we will never get the original "Star Wars" trilogy released because George Lucas simply no longer thinks of the originals as his definitive version of the films. The special editions are now what he probably considers to be the definitive films now. He has said that he was never truly pleased with how the films turned out and it's no wonder that now with the technology available to him that he went back and alter them. We as fans can bitch and complain all we want (and will continue to do so) but frankly Lucas can do what he wants with them. I don't subscribe to this theory that filmmakers shouldn't be allowed to alter their works, they can do whatever they want and Lucas more so than others since he basically owns Star Wars. I know that I'm in the minority here but I really don't think it is really productive to continue to complain about something we have no control over. Maybe one day we will get the originals released but for now that isn't a priority. Sorry about the rant...just needed to get that out.

All of that said, I must admit that I might buck up and get a blu-ray player now just for this.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#20 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

Does anyone else thing George Lucas will change anything else for the Blu-Ray release? I know when the DVD's came out some bits were changed slightly (better looking Jabba CG in ANH, Boba Fett's voice etc.) so what's to stop him tweaking a few more bits here and there?
I can just see him re-dubbing the Stormtroopers to have Temuera Morrison's voice, to make the connection between them and the Clone Troopers more obvious icon-primal.gif

At the end of the day they are his movies and he can do whatever he likes with them. It would just be nice if we could have the original original films as an extra. He still gets to have his definitive version, and we get to see the originals as they were back in the day. Plus I'm sure it would guarantee a lot of extra sales.

One thing I would like (which would probably never happen) is an alternate audio track that has David Prowse's original voice for Vader. Watching him speak in a west country accent throughout the films would be quite amusing icon-hotrod.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users