291 replies to this topic

#21 Daggor

Daggor

Rogue Decepticon

• Supporter
  • 2114 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Egad, What a mess. I mean, it's Wikipedia. If it's true, keep it in.
Follow me on Twitter, why not? @dopponline

#22 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Chip @ Jan 6 2011, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
?comment - Really, are they distributed through general comic book retail? My search on Amazon.com didn't find any f them on retail, only user-generated sales of the comics. NotARealWord (talk) 17:32, 30 November 2010 (UTC)

That guy's just ignorant of how comics are distributed. Would Previews qualify as an independent source? I can't speak to whether an individual Transformers franchise merits its own page, but there is a lot of information about Timelines that definitely belongs on Wikipedia.

QUOTE(Pete@BotCon @ Jan 6 2011, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, they deleted Slag? Because of his name I assume?

Eh, he's a minor character from a media franchise. I love him, but it's true. It sucks that the Timelines info is getting caught in the crossfire, but there's a good reason why so many other TF pages are being purged; there are far too many of them for a general knowledge wiki.

Yes, but as I said Grimlock passed on being notable. So where is the line? It seems to vary with the whim of who arrives to vote on a deletion nomination day to day. Grimlock is publically notable, Slag isn't. Bonecrusher is, and Long Haul isn't.

#23 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Extinctpundit

• Citizen
  • 13487 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

I have to admit that by the standards of Wikipedia's stupid, disrespectful, anti-knowledge rules, Timelines is really not notable and would warrant deletion.

We are talking about a website that deleted the G1 cartoon. If you seriously thought Shattered Glass Cyclonus was going to be tolerated there you were kidding yourself. It's better off not there anyway, now it can get out of the abusive relationship.
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

#24 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41526 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Don't know why you're bothering so much with wikipedia, mignash. Its just not worth the trouble.
It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#25 Defensis Prime

Defensis Prime

Multiversal Singularity-haters = horrible puppykickers

• Citizen
  • 1445 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Wikipedia is where you go when you needta learn about something, but you don't really wanna learn about something.

Honestly, Pete, I'd let it go, were I you. Anyone who reaallly wants to find ya's gonna do so without Wikipedantic's help.

(Google search for 'Transformers Timelines' will make the club site top dog once the Wiki article dies forevermore.)
-- L A S E R AUTOBOT LEADER DEFENSIS PRIME : Psychotic Completist®
"...Transformers should have retina-searing colorschemes--your eyes bleed after one glance..."

#26 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

If it helps, there is still an article on Botcon, but they made us remove the list of of Botcon toys from the article.

#27 Pete@BotCon

Pete@BotCon

PVK

• Citizen
  • 1216 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Defensis Prime @ Jan 6 2011, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wikipedia is where you go when you needta learn about something, but you don't really wanna learn about something.

Honestly, Pete, I'd let it go, were I you. Anyone who reaallly wants to find ya's gonna do so without Wikipedantic's help.

(Google search for 'Transformers Timelines' will make the club site top dog once the Wiki article dies forevermore.)

I am not that worried about it as I have read on. I have heard the stories though, and I am just am still surprised that there is a group editing subject matter when they don't actually know the subject matter thoroughly.

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28848 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jan 6 2011, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are talking about a website that deleted the G1 cartoon.

Wait...what???

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#29 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Extinctpundit

• Citizen
  • 13487 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(^o^CORVUS^o^ @ Jan 7 2011, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait...what???

There used to be individual pages for the G1 episodes, until the "notability" infection took over.
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

#30 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28848 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Ahhh, I see.

Dumbasses.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#31 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 11148 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jan 6 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait...what???
There used to be individual pages for the G1 episodes, until the "notability" infection took over.
Which makes perfect sense. Once again, general knowledge. An article about the series is sufficient. You don't need nearly 100 additional pages to pick over each individual plot. If you want episode synopsis and character appearances and so on, you're already on the internet. You'll find TFwiki, which specifically caters to the crowd who wants minutiae of the sort that Wikipedia simply isn't designed to provide.

Of course, I say this knowing full well that there's individual episode pages for Simpsons, Family Guy, Doctor Who, Star Trek, and many more... but even having referred to those pages in several occasions, I say without reservation that I'd support their deletion in a heartbeat. Every episode of every popular series is not automatically notable for encyclopedic inclusion. Again, that's why fan guides and wikis and other supporting stuff exist outside it (and more to the point, why they should). Keep in mind that even TFwiki has its own standards for notability and has tossed things that don't fit their criteria.
"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#32 tec

tec

Season of the witches...Strike Witches

• Citizen
  • 15210 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

So what if you take up a teraquad of server space with TF information is that not the total goal of wiki anyway?
As long as its acurate and factual

I don't want a data base where I look something up and all it says is yep it did exsist at one point
And then a string of refrance links ..that's dumb I want spasific info like Airwolf ep 2 had stock footage from milatariy training videos

#33 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14548 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Eesh, and yet they ask for donations... not sure how inclined I am on that front.

Still, if they gave a good general overview, and linked to something like TFWiki, that might be good enough for me.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#34 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 6061 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

In case anyone is wondering, all of the above is why TFWiki.net exists. Just... this. Wikipedia has been consistently stupid about Transformers, and we decided we could do it better.

#35 GlassBeadGame

GlassBeadGame
  • Citizen
  • 87 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 7 2011, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, the page was frequently sabotaged and harassed by tfwiki and Allspark member Blackout, who runs a series of sock puppet accounts on Wikipedia.

Clearly you are blind. I was attempting to keep the page, and it would have been kept.

The initial result of the first debate was no consensus, default to keep. Then my account got revealed as a sock and my vote was discounted.

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Jan 7 2011, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait...what???

I just took a look at the article histories for the redirected G1 episode pages.

I was not surprised in the slightest when I saw who had done the redirecting.

The man was a menace back in the day. If it was fictional and didn't have at least 576 reliable sources talking about it, it was doomed, no matter how many people disagreed.

Edited by -Blackout-, 07 January 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#36 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9241 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(Pete@BotCon @ Jan 7 2011, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not that worried about it as I have read on. I have heard the stories though, and I am just am still surprised that there is a group editing subject matter when they don't actually know the subject matter thoroughly.

Their reasoning is that someone who's an expert in a field is too deeply invested ("biased") in it to properly judge what's of interest to a general audience and what's irrelevant, whereas someone who doesn't know much about the subject can evaluate mass appeal more "objectively".

In addition, they argue that you're not really an "expert" in Transformers unless you have an university degree in Transformology and have written at least three scientific publications on the subject.

Edited by Nevermore, 07 January 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#37 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

Also up is down, black is white, and Wikipedia is an ivory tower whose virginity must be protected from the unwashed and trivial with eternal vigilance.

ZacWilliam, may have mixed a metaphore in there.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#38 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

If anyone has any actual reliable third party citations to add to the Timelines or Fun Publications pages besides Pete and I, I'd love to see them. Particularly news articles, books NOT licensed by Hasbro, or magazines.

#39 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6807 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Isn't this the point of the TFWiki? I mean, if everything was just on Wikipedia, why have our own separate Wiki?

Wikipedia simply can't have a page for every tiny remote thing that ever happened or existed. It just isn't realistic for numerous reasons. Wherever they draw the line, someone is unhappy. They are a great resource but it is best they do not become more omnipresent than they already are.
What is singature?

#40 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12803 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

Thank god for TFWiki.
(,>.<, ) ....******

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users