1582 replies to this topic

#1 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

Since the closest thing I could find (even with a search) to a He-Man thread is the clearly-labeled "toy" thread, I figured it would be safe enough to start a thread dedicated less to MattyCollector and its shipping, subscription, and storefront shenanigans, and more to the lore behind the destined wielder of the Sword of He.

Even without a currently-running cartoon or comic book series, one at least has to hand it to Mattel for keeping the fiction going with the bios included on the back of the Classics packaging, even if some of it is a bit vague on some things at times. And as a fan of legacy heroes, I enjoy seeing the whole backstory of Eternia filled out with King Grayskull (of Awesome) and other wielders of that magic sword.

I'm perhaps just as interested in seeing how they will fit New Adventures of He-Man in, especially as I've just begun watching the DVDs. Toy-wise, I know they seem hellbent on representing the originals first and foremost, much to my chagrin, but I kind of wonder if we'll ever get the Bill Rizer-looking version seen in that toyline... or if they would instead create some bizarre amalgamation of the two.

On a related note, were the different appearances of everything ever explained in any sort of fiction, writer's bible, or other context? Or was it simply a "time passed, this is how Eternia and everyone looked when this new adventure started" kind of thing?

Incidentally, given the talk of He-Man and the Masters becoming renegades against Hordak in the Classics bios, I think that the NA look would make a neat appearance for He-Man in that context. On the other hand, I have no idea how the different-looking sword would be explained.

And speaking of time passing on Eternia, the whole story for New Adventures cites He-Man and Skeletor going to the future, to a world called Primus. This always struck me as just a little... odd. I mean, is Primus what Eternia becomes in the far future? Otherwise, what's with the future angle at all?

So, those are just my initial thoughts here, and hopefully enough to kick-start the thread.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#2 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48517 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

It is an interesting story they're telling. I don't know if I like it how there was always a "He-Man" as it were. That each hero of the time was regulated to such, with the one true He-Man being the He-Man.

Also regarding New Adventures, Optikk's bio sheds some light on how it fits with the new storyline.

A Space Mutant spy from the foggy polar region of the planet Denebria?, the spyeye eyeball of Optikk? is specially adapted to see through the dense Denebrain fog of his homeworld, making him an ideal spy. He carries a Photon Neutralizer, which has made him one of the most feared of the Space Mutants in the Tri-Solar System. Optikk? allied himself with Skeletor? shortly after the Lord of Destruction? defeated Hordak? and turned his ambition to the Horde Empire, forming a coalition of mutants and outcasts to conquer the universe. Optikk? serves Skeletor? by keeping an eye on He-Man? and all of the Galactic Protectors of the planet Primus.

So it doesn't appear in this story they go to the future, it's just Skeletor gets more warriors from Denebria in order to conquer the world.

#3 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5141 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Given the fact that He-Man is a legacy hero as of classics, the "NA He-Man" could actually be the "actual" He-Man's successor, or a trainee protecting a different world.

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 48517 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Could be...

#5 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

That's an interesting idea...

...though I don't know how his Adam identity would fit with that, unless his son was Adam, Jr...

And Optikk sure is an odd choice for the first NA figure, isn't he? One would sooner expect Flogg or Sludgehead...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#6 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Not to mention that Marlena and Randor finally discovered that Adam was He-Man in "New Adventures" so I don't see how that theory works, it's interesting and i suppose if you wanted you could retcon that into your own personal continuity if you wanted.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#7 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28118 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

I think what turned me off most in He-Man fiction was the 2000 series episode where Adam was taught that "He-Man would always be needed", thus forcing him to accept that he couldn't be allowed to prove himself, and just rely on someone else's power and identity to be a hero.

What a great lesson to teach kids.

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 48517 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(DarkDestroyer @ Dec 20 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to mention that Marlena and Randor finally discovered that Adam was He-Man in "New Adventures" so I don't see how that theory works, it's interesting and i suppose if you wanted you could retcon that into your own personal continuity if you wanted.

Dark Destroyer

Randor goes missing before then too, and nothing is stated he returns safely. The 2002 comics were going to have Faker kill Randor disguised as He-Man. This may play into the new storyline (or something similar) too.

randy

#9 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5141 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(DarkDestroyer @ Dec 21 2010, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dark Destroyer

We don't have a NA He-Man bio for Classics yet, do we? This stuff is being re-written, anyway. Sure, they try to incorporate a bit of everything, but it's still a full re-write.

#10 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Dec 20 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also regarding New Adventures, Optikk's bio sheds some light on how it fits with the new storyline.

So it doesn't appear in this story they go to the future, it's just Skeletor gets more warriors from Denebria in order to conquer the world.

Aside from this, is there any word on how things fit in the old storyline? Namely the Primus-Eternia connection, if any?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#11 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 48517 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Not yet that I know of.

#12 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22854 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

I've never cared for He-man, old or new. Recently though I've been rewatching Filmation's top four cartoons of the 80's (He-Man, She-Ra, Bravestarr, and Ghostbusters) on the Qubo channel. My opinions on He-man hasn't changed, but I'm surprised to find out how much I really enjoy She-Ra's series (And the other two as well) without any real nostalgia. I think it's because She-ra's enemies are more interesting. You've got her fighting to free a planet from the Horde Empire, and Hordak who feels more competent then Skeletor, rather then trying to defend a single piece of real estate from group dressed in bad Halloween costumes. And all this makes me rather disappointed that the 2002 series never got to the Horde, as might have actually made the series interesting.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#13 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22397 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

I like each continuity for different reasons.

Teela, Teela, Teela and Teela

WHAT???
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#14 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Citizen
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Dec 23 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like each continuity for different reasons.

Teela, Teela, Teela and Teela

WHAT???

I think I preferred Teela as a blonde.

-SS (and Movie Teela was a vegetarian so didn't care for her either.)

#15 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22397 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

good journey Teela? Nah they can keep her... until I gets my MotUC Golden Langellator
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#16 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

I have to admit that I had a thing for Chelsea Noble as movie Teela and would buy a figure of her. When i was a kid had a and still do have a crush on Filmatation Teela. Hmmmm..

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#17 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4743 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

I don't recall watching the He-Man cartoon at all, but later in life I learned J. Michael Straczynski wrote for it and She-Ra. Now I'm really tempted to watch it. Good idea, or no? I tried to watch Thundercats (another one I never watched as akid), a couple years ago and thought it was awful.

And Prince Adam's mother was human, right? She was an astronaut who was warped into Eternia's dimension?
On them twitters

#18 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22854 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Dec 23 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't recall watching the He-Man cartoon at all, but later in life I learned J. Michael Straczynski wrote for it and She-Ra. Now I'm really tempted to watch it. Good idea, or no? I tried to watch Thundercats (another one I never watched as akid), a couple years ago and thought it was awful.

And Prince Adam's mother was human, right? She was an astronaut who was warped into Eternia's dimension?

I say try it. If you get the Qubo channel, they air on their 'Night Owl' block with other old cartoons, as I mentioned. I went in with little memories or nostalgia for them, except He-Man, and I rather enjoyed them. They are campy, silly, and occasionally a bit stupid, but they are also fun to watch.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#19 Meister79

Meister79
  • News and Content
  • 2478 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:11 AM

She-Ra's show was more memorable as the characters were interesting, it was more cohesive and the episodes when He-Man came to visit were always a treat. The original He-Man cartoon felt more like "threat of the week".

#20 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Citizen
  • 1487 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Dec 23 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, many Eternians were human but yes - Marlena was from Earth.
Apparently, Tri-Klops, Beastman, and Evil-Lynn were supposed to be from Earth too according to the original series bible.

-SS (it's actually amazing how many concepts MOTU "imported" from Blackstar - another Filmation series.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users