Photo

Cybertronic Bestiary: Ain't Nothin' But A...

192 replies to this topic

#101 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(warpath250 @ Apr 8 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, you hav no idea how much you've helped me with this.

I'm working on a full scaled version of D&D of transformers.
This bestiary is so going to help me.

As to the question if you've missed any: the sheepacrons, cybertronian butterflies, electro toads and energy leeches

Very glad you like it. icon-hotrod.gif

If you get the project together enough to post it somewhere I'd love to check it out. (Just recently finished DMing a three year long DnD game myself.) icon-hotrod.gif Feel free to use anything here (if you end up having a "credits" section a nod and a link back here'd be cool)

As for the additional anibots, they were up on the wiki but unreferenced when I was working on this project so I couldn't source how official they were or what the actual references said. They were just updated and given actual pages this week, so I'll definately have to jump back and finish them off. Probably afterr I post the second "Expedition" update. Stay tuned.

-ZacWilliam, one of those "new" anibots will be in the next Expedition pages actually...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#102 tec

tec

Its a Gundam!!!

• Citizen
  • 15335 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Maybe do a "Kups guide to animal life" as well

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
When the first finger slipped on a keyboard without the tools to erase the mistake, tec was there. When the first pencil hit paper with no eraser to remove error, tec was there. When the first cave painting depicted a buffalo when it meant to show a horse, tec. was. there.
-Phage

#103 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sorry for the thread necromancy. (WoooOOOOooo!)

But I just finally today got all the original pages from this thread up on the Deviantart page I had LOOONG forgotten I'd started to do just that.

http://zacwilliam.deviantart.com/

Enthused enough by this rediscovery that I'm very seriously considering reviving the Bestiary in the near future. icon-hotrod.gif

-ZacWilliam, had a lot of fun with this the first time through...

#104 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I hope you do! Your Bestiary was fantastic!

I'd buy a book of it. Seriously.

#105 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Surprise! (As much to me as anyone.) After just, JUST, over a year the Cybertronic Bestiary is BACK!

I just uploaded 2 brand new (Ok really 1 brand new, 1 adapted) pages to the Bestiary's new DeviantArt page:
http://zacwilliam.deviantart.com/ but since the Allspark here is
where I started these I wanted to make sure I continued posting them all here as well.

"Ol' Outback 'ere mates to pass along our first bonza habitat themed 'Eco-View Page':"

"And now the main event, our first look at some of the bam-crackin' little blighters that call this hellhole home:"

I'm really happy to be back doing this again and thrilled by the good sized list of official anibots/mechanimals on the wiki I've yet to do.
If you like these please let me know. Comments and feedback always keep me working. icon-hotrod.gif

-ZacWilliam, couldn't figure out how to embed the pics from Deviantart so they're currently there and Imageshack.
Second image is a bit big, I know, but it was better than too small which image shack kept trying to do to me. icon-waspy.gif

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 27 February 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#106 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Shipping Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8660 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

BUCK YEAH!

I'm super glad to see this project restarted, I love your world building, Zac!

Edited by Cabooceratops, 27 February 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#107 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

I'm so glad you've taken these back up. They're a joy to read! icon-fire.gif

#108 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

And we're back again. Definately getting back in to the swing of these.

Outback 'ere. Today mates we travel to the beautiful windswept and sun-scourched highlands at the foot of the Manganese Mountains to see one krackin' apex predator an one of the most usefull little domesticated beauties on the planet. Say 'ello to the Sentinels of the Highlands: The storied Pneuma-lion and the tranquil, blind as a boltbat and dumb as a post, Sheepacron.

Since I reused the Crag Hammer sheepacron design here from an earlier "snapshot" I figured I'd repost that too, if anyone missed it:

These are both up now on the Bestiary's devinat art page in my sig too, btw.

As a side question, I try to keep the images from being too large, but I also want everyone to be able to see the details and read the text. It's a balancing act. How am I doing on that?

-ZacWilliam as allways I'd really love to hear any feedback. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 06 March 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#109 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

There might be just a little too much text on this latest one, but otherwise it's incredible as always. I love the Sheepacron!

#110 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 6 2012, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There might be just a little too much text on this latest one, but otherwise it's incredible as always. I love the Sheepacron!

You may be right. I had a real tough time finding the image/text balance on this one. And I edited myself, I really did. I just had a bunch of stuff I wanted to say. icon-waspy.gif I'll have to be harsher about cutting some less vital factoids next time.

Thanks for the praise again. I'm always rediculously happy to hear feedback. Some small nebbishy part of me is always imagining no one is actually gonna look at or like them. It's silly, cause I like doing them just for the personal fun I get out of designing and imagining it all, so I really shouldn't worry "reception" ...but there ya go. I think it's an artist thing.

Anyway. Yeah, I'm rather fond of the little round sheepacrons myself. icon-hotrod.gif

-ZacWilliam, could probably write a couple pages on each one of these I do. I can't tell if that's cool or really sad. icon-arcee.gif

#111 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

-ZacWilliam, could probably write a couple pages on each one of these I do. I can't tell if that's cool or really sad.

It's the former, most definitely! icon-hotrod.gif

#112 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Really happy to see you've started up again, I did always love this series.

The Pneuma-lions are awesome, but I really love the Sheepacrons, because of their role as movable solar cells, thus keeping them able to be protected by debris and weather, and transportable to different areas.

#113 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks. icon-hotrod.gif

I tried to think what the Cybertronian equivalent of Sheep could be. Herding them for "wool for clothing" doesn't quite translate well. I considered them growing wires or circuitry that could be harvested off their backs but I had just done the frizz-rats and wiring had been established as more of a cyber-flora vine type thing in previous pages . But I was sketching concepts and one came out looking like a cute fat little battery wich was great. Adding the solar receptors on the back (looking vaguely like a sheep blanket) it just all fit together perfectly.

I like that they look cute AND have a real logical function that I think makes a sort of sense in Cybertronian society. Little mobile solar cells that small villages, far from the Torus capitals and Energon mining can use as a power source. Maybe even some really isolated "Ozark mountain folk" type settlements depending exclusively on them to be "hidden" independent communities.

See I really do think too much about this stuff. The Anthropology student in me just loves imagining Cybertron as an actual world full of lots of variety of envinroment and cultures.

-ZacWilliam, is it wrong though that my favorite part of the sheepacrons may be the (very) little joke in their scientific name? icon-hotrod.gif

#114 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

I... beg your pardon?

• Retired Staff
  • 8771 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Continuing to love every single part of this project. Keep up the amazing work, sir!

Also, you're now a part of the Pinned Thread index so that everyone can easily find this amazing work should it ever drift off the first page. icon-ironhide.gif

#115 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I was so happy to see the Turbofoxes finally get a canonical appearence in fiction that I put Aside the regular page I was working on to see to this quick special dispatch from Perceptor deep in space:

-ZacWilliam, I figured the curiousity about the Turbofoxes appearence is what got me started on the Bestiary so its appearing in fiction at last deserved a nod. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 15 March 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#116 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Wow, way to make some redshirt bait have a backstory! Top Notch!

#117 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Almost had these ready for posting last night but needed sleep. Had fun world building the Ky-Alexia area, which I stumbled across while looking at Animated Rosanna's managerie on the wiki. icon-hotrod.gif

Page 16- I had some folks who really liked the last "eco-view" and fleshing out the environment helps in imagining the creatures, so here's an overview of the Mithril Sea area:

Page 17- The area's most famous mechanimals (and their slightly more impressive ancestors):

Originally I planed to have Pidgeonoids in this update too but I've misplaced my in-progress sketch. Doh. icon-waspy.gif

-ZacWilliam, I liked the way it was coming out so I'm holding out hope of the sketch turning up somewhere...

#118 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17542 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

OMG MY LITTLE ZAP PONY!

You must now draw me a Rarity Zap Pony.

#119 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Shipping Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8660 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Oh my goodness Zap-Ponies are adorable. I love the little electrical burst "cutie mark".

I like the idea of Cybertronian Horses being transforming speeder bikes, that's awesome.

Edited by Cabooceratops, 24 March 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#120 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10836 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

For Fwiffo:

Thanks for the support. icon-arcee.gif

-ZacWilliam, wife is on vacation this week so I had a little extra time to sketch this up last night.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 25 March 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users