Photo

Cybertronic Bestiary: Ain't Nothin' But A...

192 replies to this topic

#61 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Tindalos @ Jan 21 2011, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another brilliant submission.

Thank you very much. icon-hotrod.gif The art on this one was a little "rougher" than I usually like to be, but the slight scribbly-ness seemed to fit the grungy character of the motley robotopossum well.

And probably a major pest on Junkion (Can't you just see a Junkion with one on his shoulder, pirate parrot style?)

Arghh, where were you when I was drawing! I totally would have drawn that for the page!

It just hit me that the drones are supposed to make it look like a female opossum carryin' her pups

Yup, I was wondering if folks were gonna get that. Good catch. The possum here is really a little closer to being a robot version of the Earth animal than some of my others but I just liked the design. The robopossum needed to be scavenger-ish and pipioreal (I love getting to coin that word) so that meant clawed feat (the forearms are Grimlock's with extra digits) and once it was that close shape-wise it really needed the tail to read as "opossum."

-ZacWilliam, considering how to best fill out the page of Guinie-pig-a-tron...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#62 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9396 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Very interested in seeing how the Guinea pig-o-tron comes out, since I pretty much gave up on mine halfway through.

#63 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17526 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

I love the 'aging' Robotopossums.

#64 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

After a too-eventfull week I finally got a chance to finish this one up. It was a lot of fun. icon-hotrod.gif The first two are in-fiction anibots, as usual, the Hamsphere on the other hand is all me. I sketched it while working out the Guinea pig-o-tron and found them too cute not to include as a smaller Pig-o-tron relative.

ZacWilliam, no word whether Needlenose Ltd also produced tiny battle armor or arenas for them...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 01 February 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#65 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17526 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

They're so cute!

#66 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 17694 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hamsphere especially! I want one of my very own!

#67 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Thanks, I'm glad you guys found them cute. That was the main reason I had to add the Hamsphere in even though only the mol and Piggy were official, he was just too cute a sketch to leave out. I think this is the first one of these I've done that my wife really liked, specifically because of the high cuteness factor. Picturing a hamsphere rolling around Bumblebee's apartment in its little forcefield ball is a pretty adorable image. (Plus it inspired me to include the Needlenose reference, which I liked.)

ZacWilliam, and thanks for the feedback in general, I tend to get discouraged rediculously easily sometimes so having someone comment is a big motivator for me to know people do like them and its worth doing more. icon-hotrod.gif

#68 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 4024 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

D'awww they're so cute. icon-silverbolt.gif

And I like the Deployer reference with Mol, I forgot all about them.

#69 Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime

Thank you for choosing Ponyville Trailways!

• Citizen
  • 5696 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

ZW1:

These are great! I think I'm going to try building some from whatever odds and ends I have, laying around. My Transformers need pets. icon-fire.gif

The art & writing style is perfect!

#70 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

The Hamsphere is the greatest concept ever, I love it!

#71 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

Since it appeared in the recently discovered TRU green Devestator bio I had to use the Oxide Shark
and the rest of the Rust Sea fauna kinda spun out of there to fill out the eco-system.
The "main attraction" is based strongly on something we've already seen, so I gave my self more
liscense to be creative with the others. icon-hotrod.gif

-ZacWilliam, when he runs out of anibots is seriously considering doing a "Travel Guide to Cybertron" based on the world building I started here.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 10 February 2011 - 01:03 PM.

#72 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17526 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

I love the proto-Sharkticon! Will there be a proto-Allicon to go with it?

#73 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 2684 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'm positive that AO518-LO2 is a reference to something, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

#74 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Feb 10 2011, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the proto-Sharkticon! Will there be a proto-Allicon to go with it?

Thanks. icon-hotrod.gif I was worried folks might think it was too-Sharkticon. But I've always been a big fan of that design (i think its the big round eyes and general chubbyness) and enjoyed playing around with it.

I think there will be an Allicon. I've debated whether or not to do anibots that have been pictured in Official media but I have an idea for that one that I like, so yeah, he may be next.

I'm positive that AO518-LO2 is a reference to something, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

It is, but I wont make anyone break their head, its not something someone's likely to guess:

A = Animated
05/18 is my birthday
L is for both Lickety Split and Lightbright, the two Animated female bots we see wearing this body-type.
02 is because there are two of them and Lightbright is specifically the second.

The patern of the letter/number sequence is based on the one given for the Classics Bumblebee body in the fun pub fan club stories.

ZacWilliam1' would have made it something more geeky and guessable if he'd thought anyone was actually gonna try to guess.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 10 February 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#75 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

God damn it, now I need to get a load of Undermines to act as Oxide Sharkticons. (I know they're supposed to be Dinosaurs, but Undermine has a shark-like fin, and a flail-tail)

And I hope you do carry on with a travel guide to cybertron. Its robotony and gearology would be awesome to see.

#76 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

I'm getting a Skalor vibe from the Oxide Sharkticon, which I don't think you intended (or maybe you did if so, nice. icon-ironhide.gif ).

I'm just surprised it took me so long to see a similarity between them.

#77 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Fenix Twilight @ Feb 10 2011, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting a Skalor vibe from the Oxide Sharkticon, which I don't think you intended (or maybe you did if so, nice. icon-ironhide.gif ).

I'm just surprised it took me so long to see a similarity between them.

It wasn't really intentional when I started, but I did notice the Skalor similarity myself as I was drawing it. Kind of a happy coincidence. I set out to do something reminicent of the Sharkticon but a little more primitive and animalistic so the body ended up thinner which together with the limbed fish thing really does suggest Seacon.

Adding more Seacon homage to the design crossed my mind but there seemed enough going on already that I let it stand mostly leaning toward Sharkticon.

ZacWilliam, quite happy with how the smiling face came out.

#78 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 11 2011, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasn't really intentional when I started, but I did notice the Skalor similarity myself as I was drawing it. Kind of a happy coincidence. I set out to do something reminicent of the Sharkticon but a little more primitive and animalistic so the body ended up thinner which together with the limbed fish thing really does suggest Seacon.

Yeah, the Decepticons had a couple of landsharks back in the day. Overbite, Skalor (okay, he's a Coelacanth), and Rippersnapper.
It makes sense that they'd have alt-modes based on cybertronian life. (Especially as according to shattered Glass, the Terrorcons have their altmodes inspired by alien beasts. Hun-grr being a Algean Two-Headed Razor Beast, Sinnertwin being a Twin-Headed Devorian Devil-Dog)

#79 Guest_Tramp_*

Guest_Tramp_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Personally, I would have preferred more "shark" and less "sharkticon" with this beast.

#80 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10729 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Tramp @ Feb 11 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I would have preferred more "shark" and less "sharkticon" with this beast.

I can totally understand that.

Some part of me felt the same way, partially because of just how very Sharkticon-y the illustration turned out. While I'm very happy with it in some ways (I love the grin) I have to admit it is honestly more derivitive than I'd originaly intended.

What made me go in this direction over something more shark-like was 1) I don't like getting them too close to Earth animals. I want them close enough in some ways that you can see why the names were "translated" as they were, but original and mechanical enough to not seem out of place on another world. So 2) we already have a Cybertron originating "shark" type ani-bot that is suitably distinct from the Earth variety, so it made sense to me to use the Sharkticon as a model. But like I said it's still a bit closer to the existing Sharkticon then I'd really wanted.

I did consider adding in some more earth shark later on, but I was kinda afraid at that point it would end up looking just like the Seacon, Overbite.

Sorry this one wasn't right up your alley. Thanks for the feedback anyway. It's motivating to get feedback of any sort. icon-hotrod.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users