Photo

Hipster Superman

69 replies to this topic

#41 Detour

Detour

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Oct 28 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(grifter @ Oct 28 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think it's the people who do like 'regular' superman that are getting concerned.
you, on the other hand, are probably the actual target audience.

Why should that matter? They're not changing "your" Superman. Just making another version that's more approachable. Doesn't DC have tons of Superman running around their Earth-#Whatever anyway?

Am I the only one finding it very , very wrong that the trustworthy guy who saves people for the sake of saving people and is perfectly willing to see the good in everyone just "isn't approachable"?

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#42 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13837 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Oct 28 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one finding it very , very wrong that the trustworthy guy who saves people for the sake of saving people and is perfectly willing to see the good in everyone just "isn't approachable"?

I think the "isn't approachable" is from the fact that this Superman has 75+ years of backstory to deal with. This one has one book. It's the same approach that Marvel took with the Ultimate Universe that really paid off for them.
Yep.

#43 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Oct 28 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Detour @ Oct 28 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the "isn't approachable" is from the fact that this Superman has 75+ years of backstory to deal with. This one has one book. It's the same approach that Marvel took with the Ultimate Universe that really paid off for them.

I honestly doubt if I pick up an issue of Superman from before JMS took over and made him all emo, I would have to go back and read a Superman comic from 1965 to get the story.

Yes, Superman comics have been in publication since the 30s. That doesn't mean you need to be familiar with every single piece of Superman fiction to get what's presently being done in comics.
Just like I knew nothing of Doctor Who before checking out the revival series, which hasn't stopped me from enjoying it tremendously.

Or Star Trek. My first exposure was TNG, it still fit the classic series canon but I could still get the story.

"75+ years of backstory to deal with" is bull.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#44 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22880 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

No, but there is "years" and with the fact we keep getting major crossover events that are determined to 'change everything' it can be hard to pick up a comic and wonder if your missing anything due to the all the crisises and Lantern wars going on.

As for me, I've never cared for Superman. I doubt I ever will. I just find him boring and unrealistic, probably becuase I'm what people call a pessimist. I just can not believe there is or ever will be such a thing as a "Trustworthy guy who saves people for the sake of saving people and is perfectly willing to see the good in everyone".
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#45 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Oct 28 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but there is "years" and with the fact we keep getting major crossover events that are determined to 'change everything' it can be hard to pick up a comic and wonder if your missing anything due to the all the crisises and Lantern wars going on.

Well Superman titles specifically are hardly to blame here.
This is why I tend to stick with trades for anything non-TF.

As for me, I've never cared for Superman. I doubt I ever will. I just find him boring and unrealistic, probably becuase I'm what people call a pessimist. I just can not believe there is or ever will be such a thing as a "Trustworthy guy who saves people for the sake of saving people and is perfectly willing to see the good in everyone".

The world's what you make of it.

As for me, well.
http://asylums.insan...ly/1193654.html
That's my superhero right there.

#46 grifter

grifter

ninja squirrel attack!

• Citizen
  • 698 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

i think it's the people who do like 'regular' superman that are getting concerned.

Why should that matter? They're not changing "your" Superman. Just making another version that's more approachable. Doesn't DC have tons of Superman running around their Earth-#Whatever anyway?

well, it matters because they're trying to pull in an audience that normally wouldn't read a supes book. you don't do that by producing the same old story again. if hey happen to annoy a couple of people in process, i'm sure they can live with that. hell, i would...
[insert witty, philosophical, controversial, and/or deep quote here]

#47 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22880 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Oct 28 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for me, well.
http://asylums.insan...ly/1193654.html
That's my superhero right there.

icon-kup.gif Oh sorry I think I feel asleep while reading that.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#48 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5103 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(grifter @ Oct 28 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, it matters because they're trying to pull in an audience that normally wouldn't read a supes book. you don't do that by producing the same old story again. if hey happen to annoy a couple of people in process, i'm sure they can live with that. hell, i would...

And yet Marvel was very successful with telling the same old orgin story in Ultimates. Hell DC's done it several times in the Modern age with Superman before. Jim Byrne's retelling in fact retconned him EVER BEING SUPERBOY.

Hell they've killed the man and brought him back.... I mean SERIOUSLY.

By the Way Supers has always had a sort of Emo Streak, especially after he killed General Zod (A couple of them).... Um yeah icon-hotrod.gif

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

Back in the shirt game.  These two shirts are waiting for when I start their next campaign. 

http://teespring.com...sAbshirt_copy_1 Everyday is Abs Shirt. Ended without tipping 

http://teespring.com/Voices2014 Voices version 4 Ended without tipping.  

#49 Tomoko Kuroki

Tomoko Kuroki
  • Citizen
  • 15687 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Oct 28 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Youmu Konpaku @ Oct 27 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DarkDestroyer @ Oct 27 2010, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a preview of Earth One Superman...he looks okay...nothing to drastic, Lois looks hot, Jimmy looks in awe. There is a brand new villain in this book as well, Lex is absent. If this one does well they'll do more. Batman Earth One should be coming out next year.

http://www.comicbook...preview&id=6801

Dark Destroyer

His torso looks too long. Not a big deal, but seems mildly distracting.

I think his head is actually too big.

Oh wow, didn't pay that much attention before, but the full body shot is hilarious now.

#50 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Oct 28 2010, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yet Marvel was very successful with telling the same old orgin story in Ultimates.

Yeah, because having Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch sleeping together was such a success.
And either way, are you really going to try and tell me Ultimate Spider-Man is as different from regular Spidey, continuity aside, as they're making Superwhine here compared to Superman?

Hell DC's done it several times in the Modern age with Superman before. Jim Byrne's retelling in fact retconned him EVER BEING SUPERBOY.

Well all it did, really, was re-tell his origin story, tone down his powers from how they'd grown during the Silver Age and give Clark Kent a bit more of an aggressive streak.

Hell they've killed the man and brought him back.... I mean SERIOUSLY.

Yes.
To show that not even four Supermen could ever replace the original.

Hell, the entire Death and Funeral storylines were all about people like you being all "Haaah, Superman. What a dork." and then going "Oh no... I never appreciated what great things he did until he was dead. I'm such a horrible person."

Edited by Detour, 28 October 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#51 gravitybomba

gravitybomba
  • Citizen
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

Can someone spoil me and tell me who the villain in "Superman: Year 1" is? I'm just curious. Thanks.

Also, for those of you who actually read it, how does "Superman: Year 1" rank as a Superman story? I don't mind alternate universe stories (I really like All-Star Superman, for example), but I don't want to pay $20 for something sucky.

GB!

#52 Defunct

Defunct

Not to be funct with. . .

• Retired Staff
  • 26834 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Are you asking about Superman: Earth One? The villain is a new creation.
. . .

#53 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

I doubt anything JMS thinks up can top the adversaries Superman encountered in his All-Star title.

#54 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13837 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Oct 29 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt anything JMS thinks up can top the adversaries Superman encountered in his All-Star title.

So you're A-Okay with All-Star but have this weird hate-on for Earth-1? MINDASPLODE. icon-wheelie.gif
Yep.

#55 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Citizen
  • 2390 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'm not sure much of anything can top anything in All-Star Superman icon-hotrod.gif

#56 Reload

Reload

WWWYKI

• Citizen
  • 2338 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

I hate Twilight.

Most Superman stories bore me (except for Red Son, Man of Steel, etc).

I enjoyed this.

----

^

All-Star Superman is indeed the best of the best of big blue.

Edited by Reload, 29 October 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#57 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17646 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Oct 29 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you're A-Okay with All-Star but have this weird hate-on for Earth-1? MINDASPLODE. icon-wheelie.gif

Yes. All-Star was everything that made the Silver Age fun, cranked up to 11.

By contrast, Earth One is written by JMS, whose idea of a good Superman story has him going emo because he can't cure brain cancer and walking around scaring old men about their heart conditions and flying away.
I wonder why all the people demanding big fights in future Superman films aren't tearing JMS a new one for not writing in big fights.

#58 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

I flipped through it and enjoyed most of what I saw, I'm kind of busy this weekend so I plan on reading it when i come home Sunday night. I really enjoyed the take on the Daily Planet and then nod to "Lois and Clark" (I think) where Clark interviews Superman and ends up getting the job. I like the fact that he attempted a number of other jobs as well. I enjoyed the different take on Krypton. Tyrell was interesting...reminded me of Ty-Zor from JJ Abrams draft of "Superman:Flyby". I liked the fact that the US military has Clark's ship and the Kent's were only able to find fragments of it. I took hints of JMS's run on "Supreme Power" from the origin. Lois and Jimmy are awesome (I really like how Jimmy seems to be Lois's partner). I think this could be the basis of a new Superman show. I'm glad that we didn't get Lex right off the bat. JMS wanted to focus and established both Clark and Superman. Shane Davis's art is pretty good. I don't really like aspects of his Superman though, the costume is going to take some time to get used to. I loved the fact that they included Clark's interview with himself at the back of the book. It will be interesting to see where this goes with volume two. I believe that JMS stated in previous interview that if the sales are good that they will do one or two books a year (Geoff John also revealed this when he's discussed it). I look forward to Batman: Earth One. I was really more excited for that than I was for this.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#59 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20924 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

That first image of Hoodie Superman made one thing pop into my head.

"Man, I was a superhero before all those OTHER superheroes showed up, now it sucks."

"I tried cutting myself but the knife just broke. My life is suck."

"I'm saaaaaaad that I'm flyyyyyyyyying."
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#60 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

Yeah that lasts about four panels...still can't believe the furor over it. This is so not EMO Superman at all.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users