88 replies to this topic

#41 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 12629 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

The Destructicon drones are frikken awesome, certainly the best of the 3 5 packs I have. Mudslinger is okay, but buy the pack for the drones.

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#42 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 46223 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I wonder if these things are really coming out the way Hasbro had hoped.
15864653975_f4c56664b3_o.jpg

#43 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20970 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

As in 'Hitting the market' or 'Meeting design goals'?
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#44 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:36 PM

I know it's to early to call, but Bombshock and Skyburst seem to be moving sloooooowly from shelves. I have a sinking feeling that this line is done already.
On them twitters

#45 mattski

mattski

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Citizen
  • 2182 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Aug 8 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it's to early to call, but Bombshock and Skyburst seem to be moving sloooooowly from shelves. I have a sinking feeling that this line is done already.

yeah, i think it's WAAAYYYY too early to call this one "done". However, from the BotCon information and other sources, we do know that the line isn't really planned for a long-term shelf life anyway. We already know pretty much all of the assortments and repaints. Regardless of how well it is selling only about a month after wide release, I doubt Hasbro will be taking this concept long-term.

I think the playability is there, and the drone aspect is something that ties nicely into Energon Prime's drones/power up mode. Hasbro is just expanding on an idea to see how far they could take it. The first few figs in any line will show some "growing pains", and hopefully some of the reported issues we are seeing on the boards are just that. Hopefully by the 3rd or 4th assortment, we'll have both solid cores and solid limbs to really capitalize on the swappability factor.

#46 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Shipping Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8621 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Well, I'm sure Leadfoot will make a nicer torso, I'll keep Double Clutch as not a torso.

#47 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 46223 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Aug 9 2010, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Design goals. A lot of these figures are rather... iffy.
15864653975_f4c56664b3_o.jpg

#48 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(mattski @ Aug 8 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nanite @ Aug 8 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i think it's WAAAYYYY too early to call this one "done". However, from the BotCon information and other sources, we do know that the line isn't really planned for a long-term shelf life anyway. We already know pretty much all of the assortments and repaints. Regardless of how well it is selling only about a month after wide release, I doubt Hasbro will be taking this concept long-term.

Right, that's what I meant, you made it sound rational though. icon-wildride.gif

On them twitters

#49 Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime

Thank you for choosing Ponyville Trailways!

• Citizen
  • 5696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Aug 9 2010, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Aug 9 2010, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Design goals. A lot of these figures are rather... iffy.

CP:
I don't know. If the goal was to make a $20 toy that played like a combiner, Bombshock hit the target. Can't help it, with all of those weapons. He has SO many pop out guns and things...his minicon would have to be a little Sigmund Freud that turned into a Cy-gar.

I didn't see it before, but these remove a lot of the cost and frustration from combiners. There's no high giftset cost, no hunting, and no fiddling and fiddling to get a pile of Transformers into combined mode. Skyburst has a few problems, but he's not so bad.

In any other action figure toyline, they'd be unbelievably good. icon-fire.gif

Unscientific survey says they're selling steadily around here, since TrU has restocked. icon-hotrod.gif

#50 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

well, a layer of super glue on 2 pegs and 2 ball joints really helped with the floppiness. Now it pegs in and holds, and the arms don't pop off at a glance, making it a much more solid figure. It's a shame I had to apply anything at all(normally I'd just use clearcoat, but I'm out atm), but it did help quite a bit.

I may tighten up the joints with another coat later, but now it's at least acceptable.

#51 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Oh lordy, I should have listened. Doubleclutch is terrible, he's like an Animated Activator without the fun. I've had all the problems Dvandom has had, plus he doesn't peg together in car mode very well. His arms are terrible, his head is teeny, easily the worst scout I've had, ever.

It's laughably bad. The drones don't look to bad on huffer though, but man, the lack of elbows, and the incongruity between the two arm-cars is awful (one has a shoulder, the other doesn't).

Seriously, I'd recommend avoiding this one, and I like mediocre figures (Universe Galvatron, PCC Searchlight, etc.)

Now that I have a 5-pack I'm voting cool idea, flawed execution.
On them twitters

#52 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Hold your head high, reach for the sky, never surrender

• Citizen
  • 17064 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

I already wasn't planning on picking up another set after Bombshock, and this thread is really helping my wallet.

#53 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Addendum: DOubleclutch's leg transformation for robot to commander feels really broken. You have to turn the balljoint up and lack it into place. This feels broken though, I think the joint was designed to tight, the plastic on the hip is already getting mauled after a couple a tries at transformation. icon-megs.gif
On them twitters

#54 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Temperamental Kuvrawk. You've been warned.

• Supporter
  • 2872 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I think the real problem with Doubleclutch is that the design is almost to ambitious for a Scout sized toy. Looking at Huffer, Smolder, and Bombshock, Doubleclutch is VERY complex. That level of complexity is what seems to be hurting his toy. I don't see these issues being fixed with the repaint because I think design itself is just to flawed.

On my Doubleclutch, I'm experiencing the pop-off elbows, very loose regular head, Commander head and shoulders which won't stay pegged unless done JUST right, and Commander shoulders coming undone if the drone arms are moved.

Does anyone know if Hasbro actually takes a random production smaller and messes around with it for a few days? I would think if they did, they would catch problems like this much sooner bor is it that they do see these problems and just don't care?

Edited by Squared Circle, 12 August 2010 - 10:44 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3611 - 9787
I was Ursa'ed on 10/22/13!

#55 Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime

Thank you for choosing Ponyville Trailways!

• Citizen
  • 5696 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Aug 12 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's laughably bad. The drones don't look to bad on huffer though, but man, the lack of elbows, and the incongruity between the two arm-cars is awful (one has a shoulder, the other doesn't).

N: This is where the interchangeability helps, I think. I've got Bombshock and Skyburst, and both have one longer arm and one shorter one - right now I've got Smolder wearing both long arms, which looks pretty cool with his beastly shoulders, and Huffer wearing the shorter ones. Doc Horrible is just tooling around in vehicle mode, practicing his evil laugh.

These are really fun combiners to play around with, and by that I mean stick the drones on 'em and fly 'em around. You can *do* that with these! Their parts are light enough. I don't think this is an advantage that comes out for a lot of us, because we tend to display them more, but I think a lot of kids must be having fun with their PCCs.

#56 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20036 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Seriously, I'd recommend avoiding this one, and I like mediocre figures (Universe Galvatron, PCC Searchlight, etc.)

From now on, all your opinions are rejected.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#57 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Andrusi @ Aug 13 2010, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should have parsed that as "Figures other people don't seem to like" Searchlight is my favorite of the PCC's. I like ROTF Blazemaster too.
On them twitters

#58 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20036 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Aug 13 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should have parsed that as "Figures other people don't seem to like" Searchlight is my favorite of the PCC's.

Oh. Well that's all right, th--

I like ROTF Blazemaster too.

HEATHEN!

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#59 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4752 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(Andrusi @ Aug 13 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nanite @ Aug 13 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should have parsed that as "Figures other people don't seem to like" Searchlight is my favorite of the PCC's.

Oh. Well that's all right, th--

I like ROTF Blazemaster too.

HEATHEN!

Its a fair cop.

On them twitters

#60 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Squared Circle @ Aug 12 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the real problem with Doubleclutch is that the design is almost to ambitious for a Scout sized toy. Looking at Huffer, Smolder, and Bombshock, Doubleclutch is VERY complex. That level of complexity is what seems to be hurting his toy. I don't see these issues being fixed with the repaint because I think design itself is just to flawed.

On my Doubleclutch, I'm experiencing the pop-off elbows, very loose regular head, Commander head and shoulders which won't stay pegged unless done JUST right, and Commander shoulders coming undone if the drone arms are moved.

Does anyone know if Hasbro actually takes a random production smaller and messes around with it for a few days? I would think if they did, they would catch problems like this much sooner bor is it that they do see these problems and just don't care?

Got mine today, and every issue is here. Man this is sad. I was really hoping for this one to be good, but Great primus is the QC bad. His left arms was already popped off when I freed him from his bonds, and I still can't get him to hold together. I hate returning things though, I made my investment, now I gotta live with it, or fix him. I will try the shoulder fix for a start, and I could use some tips on polish/glue fixes for the ball joints. The other big problem I noted is how the command hip joints are meant to be configured for combiner mode is impossible, the plastic is too thick and large to get that little tab into the ballsockets vent area.

though...sitting here and working on him as i type. I am tempted to call it a loss and return him...except I just remembered I can't since the fracking receipt printer was broken...
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users