Heerotoysmakers WST toy thread.

108 replies to this topic

#21 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7503 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

I haven't really been following the WST stuff, but does it incur the same level of debate and rage as other knock-off companies like iGear and their shrunken MP Prime and fangroups like FP?

If not, why? How is this any different than what the above groups do?

#22 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1849 posts
  • Location:Mt. Vernon, VA Home: Long Island, NY Previous: Tampa, FL
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Probably a combination of vastly reduced scale and much older (and not in production) toys gives them more of a pass. Takara is still churning out MP Optimus runs, and iGear's knockoff isn't teeny-tiny.
xvpu.jpg
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

#23 Specimen-17

Specimen-17

In case of emergency, break dance

• Supporter
  • 8079 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

I can't wait for the red, white and blue repaint!

#24 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20103 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Stupid people who bought all those black Shadow Warrior boxformers. Look what you did. Now we'll probably see this sort of thing happen all the time.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#25 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Jul 7 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't really been following the WST stuff, but does it incur the same level of debate and rage as other knock-off companies like iGear and their shrunken MP Prime and fangroups like FP?

If not, why? How is this any different than what the above groups do?

Sure, it's a stolen mold. However, it's pratically bubble gum sized toys from a line most people don't bother with, and from a line that's long abandoned by Takara, and never used by Hasbro. Most people didn't even notice when they released an Acid Storm colored KO WST Starscream a few months ago.

Heck, I still keep hoping for AM Thundercracker and SG Optimus redecos!

Edited by mignash, 07 July 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#26 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1849 posts
  • Location:Mt. Vernon, VA Home: Long Island, NY Previous: Tampa, FL
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

One of the dealers at ICON has an offering of WST knockoffs at his table every year, so make of that what you will; I have a teeny-tiny G1 Devastator that's about the same size as ROTF Legends Devastator as a result.

Edited by ShinRa Inc, 07 July 2010 - 03:34 PM.

xvpu.jpg
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

#27 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7503 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

So because these are older and less produced molds (what about the reissues though?) its all good? Ok, gotcha.

#28 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20103 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Jul 7 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So because these are older and less produced molds (what about the reissues though?) its all good? Ok, gotcha.

You've conflated two ideas here. They are based on toys that are older molds, and also really, really, really, really tiny compared to those molds (which is important and you've missed it). What's less-produced is the Smallest TF toys they're designed to work with and are occasionally also based on, which are a line that was only ever done by Takara and was completely abandoned. So there's a general feeling of "who cares?" regarding not only the knockoff issue, but to a certain extent the existence of the toys at all (therefore less buzz, therefore fewer opportunities for the people who do get mad about it to throw fits).

Edited by Andrusi, 07 July 2010 - 04:23 PM.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#29 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Jul 7 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I said because these are older and less produced molds, no one really cares. There is a difference.

Certainly when it comes to KOs, Hasbro's least concern are molds that they never used, and they publically stated they NEVER plan to use. I'm sure if they could they'd ask for a license for these toys like they did the WST Dinobots.

The only time I have heard the famdom give a hoot was when the first Magnus, Thundercracker and Skywarps hit the market and some morons tried to sell them as the real thing, since those were chase figures, which sold for like $80. Since then people know these are KOs and not to pay that for them. They are slightly different colors from the real things, so a collector can tell the difference.

Edited by mignash, 07 July 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#30 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

The Magnus has landed! The Magnus has landed!

I didn't realize he has ball-jointed elbows. I think it has slightly more articulation than the G1 toy!

Edited by mignash, 15 August 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#31 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

Prices on these seem to be leveling off to a reasonable level now. I just picked up the GiTD WST Magnus with $26 with shipping included. The G1 color version is commanding a bit more still, but dropping. I look forward to checking it out personally. If the G1 version gets under $30, I'll pick it up too.

Edited by mignash, 30 August 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#32 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

This would be cool to have to hang out with my micro master Hot Rod but I don't have a WST Magnus...

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#33 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Aug 30 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This would be cool to have to hang out with my micro master Hot Rod but I don't have a WST Magnus...

These toys come with the white cab (or black cab, or glow in the dark cab, whatever matches the trailer). You don't need to get a chase White Smallest Convoy toy to use them.

#34 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

There go I, but for my face.

• Forum Moderator
  • 20166 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I would like a blue-cab Powered Convoy version please.

#35 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Aug 30 2010, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Smitty @ Aug 30 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These toys come with the white cab (or black cab, or glow in the dark cab, whatever matches the trailer). You don't need to get a chase White Smallest Convoy toy to use them.
So where do I get one?

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#36 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

ebay - just search for WST magnus

Edited by mignash, 30 August 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#37 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Prices have now obtained a nice level for the G1 colored version, I won one last nigth for $4.75 plus $24 shipping. That's under $30 with shipping, so that's inline with the WST Blaster and Shockwave toys. I'm looking forward to getting it.

#38 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 28537 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Aug 15 2010, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't realize he has ball-jointed elbows. I think it has slightly more articulation than the G1 toy!

Same amount of articulation, just a different way of going about it.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#39 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

This version of the toy seems to have holes on the fists of the small Magnus robot and the guns have pegs, unlike the Takara version which has no holes in the fists, and the guns clip on the forearms.

Oddly the Music Label KO Magnus is built like the Takara version with clips for the guns. So this guy improved on the mold, while at the same time making it easy to tell his version from the original.

#40 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

I picked up a display stand at Dollar Tree today that has a light in it that cycles through several colors. It's meant for displaying crystals. It makes a great display for WST glow in the dark Magnus. Sorta spooky around Halloween.

Edited by mignash, 16 October 2010 - 10:10 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users