Photo

My Review....of Video Toy Reviewers

63 replies to this topic

#21 Transfotaku

Transfotaku
  • Citizen
  • 1425 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

So, how long until people review the reviewers of toy reviewers?
RIP Libby - Died June 1st, 2012
WANT: Nightmare Unicron, IDW Trailcutter, Hoist x2, Orion Pax x2, BH Arcee, Legend Optimus w/Roller

#22 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 19612 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

I actually prefer longer, more drawn out transformation sequences in video reviews.

My main issue with most poeple that prefer to do the transformations in long format isn't even the fumbling around in front of the camera...but the accompanying dialogue. It can actually helpful to visually show how frustrating a transformation can be. We're going to have to go through that same torture if/when we buy the toy ourselves.

But that's not an excuse for bad dialogue accompanying the transformation. It's like watching a sportscaster trying to explain a football play while drawing random lines all over the screen without actually knowing what he's drawing or how to describe it. It only makes things even more confusing than just watching the play in slow motion.

Five minutes of listening to a reviewer say, "And then you move THIS like THIS and place THIS part like SO, going from HERE to THERE until you have this THINGY in this SPOT over to another SPOT.

Don't use "this", "that", "thingy" to describe the parts that you're moving. Name the parts. Identify what it becomes in either robot or vehicle mode (preferably both) and name it. If you don't know what it's actually called, feel free to make something up that at least gives us a VERBAL clue as to what you're actually talking about. When you're moving five pieces at once and use a generic pronoun, we don't get what you're talking about.

When you're describing the manner in which you use the parts, the expression "like so" contributes nothing more than silence. It's the transformation equivalent of "uh" and "um." Rotate, flip, slide, remove, plug-in, ratchet...they're all descriptive. And while you're at it, feel free to also name the starting position and ending position, if you can.

I recognize that it's actually a lot harder to do this with more complicated transformations than with simple ones, but the more complicated ones are actually when the viewer needs it the most. Some pronouns mixed in with actual names are fine...but if that's the vast majority of the description...it's not really a description at all. If you're transforming an Activator, feel free to just push the button and let us bear witness to the magic. If you're transforming ROTF Optimus Prime, and can't describe anything, feel free to turn off the mic, and play us through a transformation montage.

At least for me, that's more fun than a bunch of empty pronouns.

And I have to say, even though I prefer more technical walkthroughs than quick montages...Vangelus' transformation montages are epic, and the world would be a less beautiful place without them.

Edited by D Buster Prime, 13 June 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#23 Optibotimus

Optibotimus
  • Citizen
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(D Buster Prime @ Jun 13 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually prefer longer, more drawn out transformation sequences in video reviews.

My main issue with most poeple that prefer to do the transformations in long format isn't even the fumbling around in front of the camera...but the accompanying dialogue. It can actually helpful to visually show how frustrating a transformation can be. We're going to have to go through that same torture if/when we buy the toy ourselves.

But that's not an excuse for bad dialogue accompanying the transformation. It's like watching a sportscaster trying to explain a football play while drawing random lines all over the screen without actually knowing what he's drawing or how to describe it. It only makes things even more confusing than just watching the play in slow motion.

Five minutes of listening to a reviewer say, "And then you move THIS like THIS and place THIS part like SO, going from HERE to THERE until you have this THINGY in this SPOT over to another SPOT.

Don't use "this", "that", "thingy" to describe the parts that you're moving. Name the parts. Identify what it becomes in either robot or vehicle mode (preferably both) and name it. If you don't know what it's actually called, feel free to make something up that at least gives us a VERBAL clue as to what you're actually talking about. When you're moving five pieces at once and use a generic pronoun, we don't get what you're talking about.

When you're describing the manner in which you use the parts, the expression "like so" contributes nothing more than silence. It's the transformation equivalent of "uh" and "um." Rotate, flip, slide, remove, plug-in, ratchet...they're all descriptive. And while you're at it, feel free to also name the starting position and ending position, if you can.

I recognize that it's actually a lot harder to do this with more complicated transformations than with simple ones, but the more complicated ones are actually when the viewer needs it the most. Some pronouns mixed in with actual names are fine...but if that's the vast majority of the description...it's not really a description at all. If you're transforming an Activator, feel free to just push the button and let us bear witness to the magic. If you're transforming ROTF Optimus Prime, and can't describe anything, feel free to turn off the mic, and play us through a transformation montage.

At least for me, that's more fun than a bunch of empty pronouns.

And I have to say, even though I prefer more technical walkthroughs than quick montages...Vangelus' transformation montages are epic, and the world would be a less beautiful place without them.

Your post actually has a lot of good tips. I'm gonna try and make sure i use your advice as much as possible from now on.
http://www.youtube.com/optibotimus

*check out your favorite transformer reviews by yours truely*

#24 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 14345 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

This was an interesting thread idea. I've never heard of Thew before, but the others are of course the 3 main reviewers I watch, and for pretty much the same reasons as Bain stated. icon-ironhide.gif

#25 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Robogeek1973 @ Jun 13 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was an interesting thread idea. I've never heard of Thew before, but the others are of course the 3 main reviewers I watch, and for pretty much the same reasons as Bain stated. icon-ironhide.gif

I had never heard of Thew before either, and that Ratchet review was AWESOME! icon-silverbolt.gif

"CLEAR!"

icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif

#26 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1293 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

Good choices. I also recommend exillion (exillionXLR).

#27 tec

tec

Gundam Cutie

• Citizen
  • 14910 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

Oh man if you review the text reviewers I'm toast with bad spelling grammor and spaceing
I'm a gonner icon-fire.gif

But I review TFs for my self its a way to orginase my thoughts on my TFs if ppl read and comment on thim well that's just a bonus I don't nessassarly write for other ppl I do keep thim in mind

But Van and Omega you guys do rock keep it up

Edited by tec, 15 June 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#28 Pearl Of Borneo

Pearl Of Borneo

Back from hiatus!

• Citizen
  • 126 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

While I do enjoy Vangelus' & TJOmega's review, I personally prefer a more straightforward review like Peaugh. Thew's is better as he combines entertainment and straightforwardness.
My Current Want List:
WTB]

1. UNIVERSE OPTIMUS PRIMAL
2. TFTM INCINERATOR
3. TFTM JETSTORM
4. ROTF STRATOSPHERE
5. ROTF SHADOW COMMAND MEGATRON
6. HFTD INSECTICON

#29 Daytonus

Daytonus

Boring

• Retired Staff
  • 11769 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

For stuff I've never seen before, I find myself going to Peaugh first. But I'll watch Vangelus and TJOmega reviews of toys I already have. icon-hotrod.gif

#30 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20800 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

I think Vangelus' reviews are the only video reviews I actively go and REwatch.
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#31 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4482 posts
  • Location:Providence RI (Formerly Pittsburgh PA &amp; Wales UK)

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

No offense to Peaugh, but I have the feeling that if he didn't get so many things first not that many people would watch him. I find his delivery quite boring at times and there's nothing that really sets him apart from the average reviewer other than getting new toys early.
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#32 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 14345 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

I've noticed that his reviews don't have the heart they used to, it's like he just doesn't care anymore.

#33 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 1462 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(Liege @ Aug 22 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense to Peaugh, but I have the feeling that if he didn't get so many things first not that many people would watch him. I find his delivery quite boring at times and there's nothing that really sets him apart from the average reviewer other than getting new toys early.

I'll admit his sneak peeks are part of the draw (speaking only for myself, of course). But I really like his straightforward delivery too. It might be a little "C-SPAN" for some people, but I don't mind it compared to some reviewers who try so so hard to be funny and miss the mark. (Or even worse, some reviewers who believe that THEY are the star attraction and not the toy.)

Peaugh is starting to bug me a little though, over time he's gotten worse about covering up key transformation steps either with his hands or by moving the toy out of frame. (His reviews are usually the first place I go to if there's something in the instructions I don't understand.)

I keep forgetting to give TJOmega and Thew a try (I already know Vangelus is great), maybe I'll do that tonight.

My local no-kill shelter is in real trouble, story is HERE :(

If anyone can donate (click the logo below) or just share this story with everyone they know, I'd really appreciate it.

BTiENxT.png

#34 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20800 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

I still think Niblet's review of the Gravity Bots was the best.

You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#35 Desastron

Desastron
  • Protoform
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

Currently my two favourite reviewers are TheCollector75 and Emgo.

TheCollector75 has a very good choice of figures he reviews including some interesting rarities.
Emgo's reviews are very interesting if I want to look for newer figures. He does get most of the stuff as early, or even earlier, than Peaugh and presents them in a way that keeps me interested.

I've also never watched reviews by Thew or TJOmega before. Maybe I should do so.

#36 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17172 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Liege @ Aug 22 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing that bothers me about his reviews is that they're obviously unscripted, often with him restating an often trivial point over-and-over-and-over again while he scrambles to get his mouth to catch up to his thoughts ("So like I said - 2 seconds ago, and 10 seconds before that -, very cool").

#37 Pearl Of Borneo

Pearl Of Borneo

Back from hiatus!

• Citizen
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(Liege @ Aug 23 2010, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed it too. Maybe it's because he has other priorities. I appreciate the effort he took to film his reviews despite it though.

QUOTE(Robogeek1973 @ Aug 23 2010, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed that his reviews don't have the heart they used to, it's like he just doesn't care anymore.

I thought he always sounded that way? Besides, I noticed there's some improvement in his reviews lately.

If I may, I also would like to recommend Exaggerated Elegy and fxfranz. I enjoy both as their reviews are quite straightforward and informative and not too much focus on other things besides the toy itself.

My Current Want List:
WTB]

1. UNIVERSE OPTIMUS PRIMAL
2. TFTM INCINERATOR
3. TFTM JETSTORM
4. ROTF STRATOSPHERE
5. ROTF SHADOW COMMAND MEGATRON
6. HFTD INSECTICON

#38 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 1462 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(dario_julius @ Aug 24 2010, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I may, I also would like to recommend Exaggerated Elegy and fxfranz. I enjoy both as their reviews are quite straightforward and informative and not too much focus on other things besides the toy itself.

I've stumbled onto fxfranz's videos a couple of times, he's pretty good. His voice reminds me of George Takei for some reason. (He doesn't really sound like Takei, but there's some quality to it that's similar... hard to explain.)

My local no-kill shelter is in real trouble, story is HERE :(

If anyone can donate (click the logo below) or just share this story with everyone they know, I'd really appreciate it.

BTiENxT.png

#39 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20800 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Radio voice?

#40 Doofy

Doofy

Anusface

• Citizen
  • 3510 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Am I the only person who can't stand Vangelus' reviews? If I want lame, pandering jokes I'll watch some no-name stand-up on Comedy Central. The constant asides and self-references Vangelus makes really highlight what an unabashed attention whore he is. I watch video reviews of transformers to get a good idea of the transformations and a general opinion about a figure. When I watch Van's reviews they're more about him than they are the toy.

I tend to prefer Peaugh's straight-ahead reviews. Though, as was stated, his reviews lately have been rather poor. And if a video is offered in 720p then it shouldn't be blurry as all hell when at full rez.

I love Thew's short and sweet reviews too. He's able to inject a lot of personality without getting away from the review at hand.

And for some reason some reviewer deem it necessary to go in-depth into the physical appearance of a figure when it's plain as hugin' day what color a figure is in a VIDEO review.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users