43 replies to this topic

#1 -VP-

-VP-

Every time it takes my knees out

• Retired Staff
  • 7897 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

BSG went away last year. Lost is gone. Heroes finally kicked the bucket. What do we geeks have left to entertain ourselves in the sci-fi/fantasy realm of television? Supernatural and Smallville will likely both end next season. Is there anything left for us to fight and argue and get nerd rage over?

energonsig.jpg

#2 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Chuck? Stargate universe?

#3 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

SGU, V, whatever new junk scifi dredges up, a few other oddities and trickles here and there.

Oh and imports like Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures, and Sentai and such.

As to animated TV, I think we are fully SOL until Hub launches, and even then hard to tell what we will be getting.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#4 Cabal

Cabal
  • Citizen
  • 2060 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Caprica if it gets renewed. As for upcoming shows the Cape and Spielberg's Terra Nova seem promising.

#5 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54871 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

I just watched one of the best Sci-Fi/Drama shows of all time from start to finish, having missed it the first time around -- Roswell.

#6 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5276 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

24 just ended too - not sci/fi, but definitely a lot of overlap in viewership I'm sure.

Might be a good time to dust-off some old shows you missed the first time around. Buffy is pretty good (the second season is when it really starts going), Angel was an excellent series (better than Buffy), but of course the best Joss Whedon show is Firefly & Serenity.

Then there's other non-scifi stuff that I've heard is good, like Six Feet Under, The Wire, and Mad Men.

But I'm saving the best for last - The Shield. If you haven't seen The Shield, you're missing out on what is easily, IMO, the best written TV series ever. If you haven't ever seen it, forgo any other TV show attachment, and start getting those discs from Netflix.

#7 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6112 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

The answer is obvious... Reruns.
I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#8 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5701 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Futurama is going to be back soon. Ugly Americans is good.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#9 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6865 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(xZAOx @ May 25 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might be a good time to dust-off some old shows you missed the first time around. Buffy is pretty good (the second season is when it really starts going), Angel was an excellent series (better than Buffy), but of course the best Joss Whedon show is Firefly & Serenity.

But I'm saving the best for last - The Shield. If you haven't seen The Shield, you're missing out on what is easily, IMO, the best written TV series ever. If you haven't ever seen it, forgo any other TV show attachment, and start getting those discs from Netflix.

I cannot agree more. Especially about the greatness of Angel and The Shield. I was pissed that I didn't make it to Botcon last year in CA. I found a website that had the addresses of a ton of The Shield locations. The church used for the Barn, a few of the streets, Aceveda's house, etc... and was going to check them out.

---------------------------

To the thread in general:

There are always times like this where all of our favorite shows seem to end simultaneously. But the positive is that usually new ones come to replace them and usually do so in groups. Something else will come and we'll all fawn over it, just no clue what it will be yet.

If Lucas ever makes his live-action Star Wars TV series, I'm sure that will help fill the void. If the rebooted Star Trek movie franchise does well with # 2, I can picture a new Trek show. With Disney funding Marvel Studios now, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of comic-inspired show down the line (though stuff like Runaways and Young Avengers would fit their demographics best).

Also, for the person who mentioned the Shield, Michael Chiklis is working on a show about a Madoff-like Ponzi scammer. That might be interesting.

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#10 Devcon

Devcon

International man of mystery and intrigue

• Forum Moderator
  • 10164 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Chuck, Chuck and more Chuck. And Caprica, but mostly Chuck.

#11 Galenraff

Galenraff

Oh, by the way I've cracked the code.

• Special Projects Manager
  • 31056 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ May 25 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just watched one of the best Sci-Fi/Drama shows of all time from start to finish, having missed it the first time around -- Roswell.

Yay! I'm finally not the only person I know who ever watched and liked this show! I also recommend it highly to anyone else. It's 3 seasons, and a complete story.

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#12 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34998 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

While not all are really Sci/fi or Fantasy based, there still are some great shows out there.

Castle - Awesome show with Nathan Fillion doing an excellent job in it.
V - Never saw the original, but the remake has been pretty entertaining.
Big Bang theory - This is a perfect Geek comedy show. It has an awesome cast and has yet to disappoint me.
SG: Universe - Pretty good Star Gate show. I haven't watched the second half of season 1 yet, but I can't wait to plow through it on my DVR.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#13 Glenn

Glenn

I have CDO. It's like OCD but in order, as it should be.

• Citizen
  • 5706 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

No love for Warehouse 13?

#14 MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch

Handling lasers by hand

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

Clone Wars continues to be pretty good. And it's only a matter of time before Star Trek returns to TV.
It's time to bring the crunch!

#15 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Solarstorm @ May 25 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With Disney funding Marvel Studios now, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of comic-inspired show down the line (though stuff like Runaways and Young Avengers would fit their demographics best).

Please do not suggest such things!!! I cannot fathom how badly Disney would Butcher those in a "for TV" translation. Runaways is my favorite comic book property of all time, and I don't want to see it in the wrong hands. Now you get the original creative team back together, and have Joss executive produce and do some directing and put it on a proper station, then maybe something could happen.

back on topic:
Some other geek scifi to catch up on:
The other two Stargate shows
Classic Doctor Who (26 years worth)
Hercules and Xena are slowly arriving on DVD for some camp goodness
Sanctuary is good I hear, never seen it.

Hmm, I wonder if Blakes 7 will ever be out on DVD stateside. I've always been curious about that...
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30904 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(Pigbag @ May 25 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clone Wars continues to be pretty good. And it's only a matter of time before Star Trek returns to TV.

We can only its another ten years before trek comes back. It's a series that does not deserve to die... but also doesn't deserve to continue being treated the way it has been in the last few years. They need to SERIOUSLY let it sit and let a new generation of writers take a whack at it.

#17 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34998 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Pigbag @ May 25 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed! I don't know how I forgot about that!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#18 Thunderous Iron Moose 3000!

Thunderous Iron Moose 3000!

Has studied three thousand laws about the planting of cucumbers.

• Citizen
  • 2860 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

How in the blue hell has no one mentioned Fringe?
LINGUAM LATINAM, O MATRIFORNICATOR.

EAM LOQUERIS?

- Pope Fiction

#19 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5276 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Thunderous Iron Moose 3000! @ May 25 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because it's horrible?

</InternetJerk>

I tried to watch the first episode, but couldn't keep myself from ridiculing it. I personally found it extremely stupid, far-fetched, and full of ignorant conclusions. This coming from someone who watched all of Lost and 24. I hated it.

I guess you could say it wasn't my cup of tea.

#20 Galenraff

Galenraff

Oh, by the way I've cracked the code.

• Special Projects Manager
  • 31056 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(xZAOx @ May 25 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Thunderous Iron Moose 3000! @ May 25 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because it's horrible?

</InternetJerk>

I tried to watch the first episode, but couldn't keep myself from ridiculing it. I personally found it extremely stupid, far-fetched, and full of ignorant conclusions. This coming from someone who watched all of Lost and 24. I hated it.

I guess you could say it wasn't my cup of tea.

That was pretty much my feeling on the show. I wanted to like it too, but just couldn't. The "I peed on myself" line was the only really entertaining part, and I'm sorry, that's not good enough reason to tune back in.

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users