3DS Discussion Thread

753 replies to this topic

#1 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 9397 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

Apparently Nintendo threw this up on their website just to make the internet explode.

http://www.nintendo....010/100323e.pdf

3D without glasses? Craaaaaazzzyyy.

Hopefully it'll fare better than the Virtual Boy.

Edited by Undead Scottsman, 10 April 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#2 Ironbite

Ironbite

Trust the Fizzy Fisherman

• Citizen
  • 16267 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

...wait what?

Welcome back exploding 'raptor.

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Sep 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you so intent upon trying to damn everyone that you are willing to use material you know full well to be wrong?

#3 Tomoko Kuroki

Tomoko Kuroki
  • Citizen
  • 15224 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:23 AM

I can only imagine what crazy concept ideas people will come up with before it's actually shown. Some of those fan concepts of the DS got pretty odd, before we saw how easy a portable with two screens could be done.

#4 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 19614 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Shinki @ Mar 23 2010, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can only imagine what crazy concept ideas people will come up with before it's actually shown. Some of those fan concepts of the DS got pretty odd, before we saw how easy a portable with two screens could be done.

It's probably going to use 3d laptop tech. Stuff with a limited viewing range and angle is kind of a pain on a laptop screen with multiple viewers, but perfect for a solo gaming device like the ds.

I expect the casing to be nearly identical to the DSi/DSiXL.

#5 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 12476 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

uh wow. Way to hamstring DSiXL sales.

Of course, this announcement shows why I was waiting in the first place, but I digress.
"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#6 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41476 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(Rhinox @ Mar 23 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, this announcement shows why I was waiting in the first place, but I digress.

You just know when the 3DS is released, they'll announce the 3DS XL a few weeks afterwards.

#7 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34990 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Mar 23 2010, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rhinox @ Mar 23 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You just know when the 3DS is released, they'll announce the 3DS XL a few weeks afterwards.

Yup.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Savior of the Digital World

• Citizen
  • 13915 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

I was skeptical of the touch screen when it was announced, so I'm skeptical here. Let's hope Nintendo can do it right icon-waspy.gif
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#9 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4483 posts
  • Location:Providence RI (Formerly Pittsburgh PA &amp; Wales UK)

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

No no, you have it all wrong. After the 3DS it'll be the 3DS lite, then the 3DSi and then the 3DSi XL.
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9346 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

It could use an extended version of this technique:

It uses the DSi's camera as a motion tracker, changing the perspective on-screen accordingly. Or it could be something completely different... either way, this is great news to wake up to. The DS is a great system, but it's more than 5 years old now; and by the time this comes out it'll probably be about 6. More than long enough.

I'm really hoping the recently announced Gen V of Pokemon is moved to this system... the first two games might only be able to get a partial port, using the 3DS features only for some parts of the game. But releasing such a major title on a soon-to-be defunct system (even considering the 3DS will have backwards compatibility) could be a mistake. The 3rd version is almost certainly going to be a 3DS-exclusive that makes full use of the hardware.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 23 March 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#11 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13780 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 23 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It uses the DSi's camera as a motion tracker, changing the perspective on-screen accordingly. Or it could be something completely different... either way, this is great news to wake up to. The DS is a great system, but it's more than 5 years old now; and by the time this comes out it'll probably be about 6. More than long enough.

I think it will be very similar to this, except use the camera in conjunction
with motion tracking software like WordFu on the iPhone does for simulated
3D. That said, I want to know how they're going to up the graphics ability
of the 3DS while remaining backwards compatible.
Yep.

#12 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9346 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Mar 23 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3D. That said, I want to know how they're going to up the graphics ability
of the 3DS while remaining backwards compatible.

Well the DS improved graphics quite a bit while maintaining backwards compatibility with the GBA... they pretty much just kept all the GBA hardware in the unit, didn't they? Apparently it's all still in the DSi as well, even if lacks a slot-2 to make use of it (awful).

Supposedly this could be as powerful, graphically, as the Gamecube. In conjunction with 3-D without the hassle of glasses, it could be a massive success. Of course there are tons of people already complaining, but that also happened before the release of the original DS and we all know how that turned out. Hard to believe there was a time when people thought dual-screen handheld gaming "couldn't work", lol.

I'm hoping a port of Super Mario Sunshine is announced as a launch title... every older Mario title has already been ported to a handheld, and it's tended to be in order of original generation.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 23 March 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#13 Sage of Lightning

Sage of Lightning

Can't dance

• Citizen
  • 1612 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 23 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h5QSclrIdlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h5QSclrIdlE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm really hoping the recently announced Gen V of Pokemon is moved to this system... the first two games might only be able to get a partial port, using the 3DS features only for some parts of the game. But releasing such a major title on a soon-to-be defunct system (even considering the 3DS will have backwards compatibility) could be a mistake. The 3rd version is almost certainly going to be a 3DS-exclusive that makes full use of the hardware.

This is actually the start of the hype up for the release of the new system, I'm thinking for the holiday season/fall. Gen V Pokemon will have been coded for this system and there are rumors/speculation of it(pokemon) being a launch title.

Animal crossing dream address: 4900-2222-9151

#14 ---The Rat

---The Rat
  • Citizen
  • 3054 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

hmmm I can't remember where but I've read several times that the next DS is going to have accelerometers (like the wii, and Iphone) perhaps that will be used to help aid with that 3d effect

#15 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9346 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(Sage of Lightning @ Mar 23 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking for the holiday season/fall. Gen V Pokemon will have been coded for this system and there are rumors/speculation of it(pokemon) being a launch title.

All that's been said so far about "when", is that it'll be before the end of March 2011.

#16 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12517 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Mar 23 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3D.

Word has it they're using one of Sharp's Parallax Barrier LCDs. They haven't been used in many things because they're not particularly effective on screens larger than 4" diagonally, but for a DSi-sized system, I don't think that's an issue.

#17 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15580 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Mar 23 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Word has it they're using one of Sharp's Parallax Barrier LCDs. They haven't been used in many things because they're not particularly effective on screens larger than 4" diagonally, but for a DSi-sized system, I don't think that's an issue.

Indeed, this article's a pretty good summary of what you and TM2-Megatron just posted: Eurogamer
I might just get this one right away, never ever got a DS and still sort of want one.

Still, Nintendo may be on a roll right now, but they're still responsible for stinkers like the Virtual Boy so I'll try not to get too excited.

#18 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9346 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

I'm liking the sound of that Parallax Barrier LCD tech for potential 3DS use... or perhaps a slightly more advanced version of it. Motion tracking via a camera or sensor isn't really feasible for something that's going to be widely-implemented in a handheld. Personally I don't want to have to be waving the thing around like an idiot if I happened to be using it on a train or airplane, lol; and the reliance on a well-lit playing area could get annoying, as well.

The article awa64 linked to was written 6 years ago; the implemention of 3D displalys has to have improved quite a bit since then... it seems the main focuses on that technology should be to increase the viewing areas from which a user(s) can perceive the effect. While I get the need for Nintendo to use relatively cheaper components to keep costs down, hopefully the displays they end up using give off a good stereoscopic effect. I'd think a 3.8 inch screen should probably be big enough for them... enough of an increase from the DSi, without exceeding the 4 inches that starts to stretch the ability of these screens to function effectively.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 23 March 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#19 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12517 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(BlitzwingHaz @ Mar 23 2010, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(awa64 @ Mar 23 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, this article's a pretty good summary of what you and TM2-Megatron just posted: Eurogamer
I might just get this one right away, never ever got a DS and still sort of want one.

Still, Nintendo may be on a roll right now, but they're still responsible for stinkers like the Virtual Boy so I'll try not to get too excited.

The Virtual Boy is the only "stinker" Nintendo's ever released. Go ahead and get excited.

#20 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 19614 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Yes, please!

Edited by D Buster Prime, 23 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users