6 replies to this topic

#1 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Citizen
  • 2143 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

So amidst all this Last Stand of the Wreckers hubbub I was bitten by the kitbashing bug and decided to try my hand at Pyro using E. Inferno and Deluxe Armada Prime's head.

These are the results of my first foray into customising:

Vehicle (no gun) - I tried to emulate the yellow and black stripes of the original toy's vehicle mode

Vehicle (with gun) - I decided to paint his gun gold as a homage to the original toy.

Robot mode (no gun) - it may not be that visible in the photos but I carved a couple slots in Prime's mouthplate to more closely match Pyro's head.

Robot mode (holding gun)

Discuss.
Stop calling me!

#2 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 16994 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Simple, but effective. Although that particular prime head is a titch small for that mold. But maybe that's a necessity, as I believe a smaller head can squeeze inbetween the arms and legs in vehicle mode and remain entirely hidden, as few other heads have that mask to hide the face.

The yellow paint does look a bit rough, though. As a tip when painting yellow over black, lay down a coat of silver or light grey first. Those have better coverage, serving as a good basecoat to make the yellow pop, and generally look cleaner.

#3 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Citizen
  • 2143 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Mar 1 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simple, but effective. Although that particular prime head is a titch small for that mold. But maybe that's a necessity, as I believe a smaller head can squeeze inbetween the arms and legs in vehicle mode and remain entirely hidden, as few other heads have that mask to hide the face.

The yellow paint does look a bit rough, though. As a tip when painting yellow over black, lay down a coat of silver or light grey first. Those have better coverage, serving as a good basecoat to make the yellow pop, and generally look cleaner.

Thanks, I'll take that into account! I didn't like how the yellow came out either, but live and learn I guess.
Stop calling me!

#4 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 16994 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Reds are generally the same way, FYI.

#5 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4271 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

It is a neat idea. So the robot mode head can fit between the limbs in vehicle mode? Did you have to mod/alter the head to make it attach?
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#6 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Citizen
  • 2143 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

nope, popped right on there. And I kind of fold the head into the hinge assembly and have it behind the cab. The hinge sticks out a bit at the bottom but there's just enough clearance for it to roll.

Stop calling me!

#7 Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1

"You'd think a Quintesson would be more efficient."

• Citizen
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:46 AM

The world needs more Pyro-maniacs. =o

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users