2926 replies to this topic

#961 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional pain-in-the-ass

• Citizen
  • 4196 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

I'd like to stick it out and wait to watch it on release day.... but you guys keep TEMPTING me!!!! >_<
Its not broken.... its ADVANCED!

#962 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7999 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Mar 25 2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I despise Korra for being so old, well, older than when Aang started. Stupid breasts. I want a younger Avatar. But, gosh, I almost teared up at the end of the match.

What. Well, anyway, bear in mind that Aang was actually told he was the Avatar far younger than he traditionally should have been, it's just that the monks foresaw the war coming and decided (over the protests of Giatsu or however that name is spelt) to tell Aang and start his training early. As you know, that didn't work out too well for the monks. It makes sense that Korra is 16+ at that point, althogh she is meant to be exceptional, even for the Avatar. I seem to remember Roku and the previous waterbender Avatar not getting the full mastery until they were adults.

#963 Ironbite

Ironbite

Trust the Fizzy Fisherman

• Citizen
  • 16721 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Korra was also bending 3 outta the 4 elements when she was a pot-bellied dyoungling as well. Exceptional isn't something I'd use to describe her myself.

Ironbite-Mary Sueish.....little bit more on the nose.

Welcome back exploding 'raptor.

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Sep 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you so intent upon trying to damn everyone that you are willing to use material you know full well to be wrong?

#964 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

I think it's an interesting difference between Korra and Aang that they're showcasing.

Korra's natural aptitude for bending (with the exception of air) is far greater than Aang's. Aang had to be taught and dedicate a great deal of time and practice just to figure out how to start bending each element. Right out the gate, Korra could bend 3 of the 4, but she doesn't take to diligent training and focus like Aang did, so despite being able to bend 3 of the elements, she's not nearly as refined at it as Aang was, even though she's older.

It also explains why air is so difficult for her, because that element requires patience and training from the get-go and that sort of thing isn't her strength.

I like Korra so far, particularly because she's so different from Aang and that she's a deeply flawed Avatar (Aang felt more "Mary Sue-ish" to me than Korra, but I wouldn't qualify either of them as a Mary Sue).

And I don't get the complaint about her having breasts being a detraction. She's a female teenager, she's going to have a part of female teenager anatomy. I mean, if the artists were perving on her all the time then I can see where people might complain... but her build and wardrobe has been nothing but tasteful so far.

It seems like a really, really stupid complaint, to me.

#965 Phage

Phage

I... I'm sorry.

• Retired Staff
  • 9102 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Ironbite @ Mar 26 2012, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Korra was also bending 3 outta the 4 elements when she was a pot-bellied dyoungling as well. Exceptional isn't something I'd use to describe her myself.

No. Stop it. The overuse of this word is just ridiculous. Any character who displays the slightest bit of aptitude anymore is labeled a Mary Sue.

I'd like very much for us to get back to the proper use of the term, when fan characters with pitch-black hair, bi-colored eyes, who are the personal apprentice of Voldemort and has a name like "Raven Darkclaw-Potter" were properly called Sues.

Not the Avatar in her own media.

Edited by Matthias Phage, 26 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

76561198045115041.pngAddFriend.png

#966 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2950 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I sooo want to make innuendo about Korra's developments being a sl, uh, being in your f, um, never mind. LOL!

It's just that Korra's chest just reminds me that she's a maturing young woman, not a wide-eyed innocent sweet little girl like Tenzin's daughters. The Last Airbender was a bunch of children (CHILDREN!) against the big, bad world. Anything they accomplish is a huge feat because they're so young and what they experience scars and corrupts them and forces them to mature and so we watch them evolve as the series grew on. (this is why I loved the post boot Legion of Super-Heroes)

(hmm, from their clothes Katara, Suki, Azula, Mei and Tai Li weren't too obvious they had, uh, matured. It just scandalized me when Sokka and Suki were being active, though I know Sokka's older and, of course, different age of consent in a fictitious world)

Because Korra is already a teen, she's past parts of that. Plus the world is more or less at peace at that time so she was a little more coddled than the Aang Gang. Her being advanced, having 3 of the 4, may mean less time to evolve and less story. Plus, OMG, I envision teenage love drama angst. At least Zuko had a parental angle on his angst and the kids were at war; there should be no time for romance. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that, well, I don't want it to be that Ember Island episode with Zuko and the girls at the beach ALL the time. Nothing wrong with shipping too. I just don't want it to be the focus.

Yes, it doesn't mean that Legend of Korra will be like that. Yes, I know Aang is a thousand years old because of the iceberg. Yes, I know that we don't really want a retread of the old storyline. Yes, I know that Korra was supposedly a mini therefore she has less story line laid out. Yes, I'm giving Korra a chance. I did love the end of the match. The music drove everything home for me. And Tenzin whooping too, LOL!

#967 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 23043 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Mar 26 2012, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because Korra is already a teen, she's past parts of that. Plus the world is more or less at peace at that time so she was a little more coddled than the Aang Gang. Her being advanced, having 3 of the 4, may mean less time to evolve and less story.

Two things:

1. This was originally meant to be a miniseries of about 13 episodes. So yeah, "less story" was where things kinda began.

2. This is essentially "Book 4: Air" with an Avatar that's done water, earth, and fire, already, so we see the kinda training needed for a Air Bender, as we'd already gotten some idea how training for the other three is done.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#968 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Just saw the second episode and it couldnt be more perfect

#969 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Mar 26 2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. Stop it. The overuse of this word is just ridiculous. Any character who displays the slightest bit of aptitude anymore is labeled a Mary Sue.

I'd like very much for us to get back to the proper use of the term, when fan characters with pitch-black hair, bi-colored eyes, who are the personal apprentice of Voldemort and has a name like "Raven Darkclaw-Potter" were properly called Sues.

This. So much this.

#970 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

The son of a chipwich

• Citizen
  • 14501 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Mar 26 2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*hits the non-existant Like button*
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#971 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Citizen
  • 5823 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 26 2012, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Mar 26 2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. So much this.

Yeah... if anything she's a Canon Sue... *runs away*

Missed the preview icon-screamer.gif have to wait till the 14th but still very excited.

#972 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7999 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Mar 26 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially if that character has the brass bound nerve to be female! To some people apparently making a female character powerful (even if it's a not-unreasonable level of power within the context of the story), independant, and self confident is enough to earn them the Sue collar.

#973 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

First two episodes currently available for free on iTunes in HD and SD.
Reclaim the suffix.

#974 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13847 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Corgsopal @ Apr 6 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watched'm last night on my new AppleTV. I don't know if they were produced for 1080p, but they looked GLORIOUS.
Yep.

#975 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

hug Destron

• Citizen
  • 22506 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

wish Itunes Canada liked me...

oh well guess I'll just have to download them illegally from youtube
18+ returns in 2 weeks, whether you like it or not

#976 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Apr 6 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Corgsopal @ Apr 6 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watched'm last night on my new AppleTV. I don't know if they were produced for 1080p, but they looked GLORIOUS.

I haven't had a chance to watch them on a big screen yet, but if the retina display on my phone is any indication, GLORIOUS is border line understatement.
Reclaim the suffix.

#977 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3306 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

just watched the two episodes a moment ago, and I am definitely in love with everything! HIGHLIGHT to view:
Tenzin's kids are awesome! I laughed hard at Meelo's hyperactive antics, and Tenzin begging the kids to not be troublesome in their teenage years.

"Look mom! IMMA snowbender!! "

Edited by Pony of Merak, 07 April 2012 - 01:26 PM.

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#978 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18258 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just saw these this morning on the (legal, televised) premiere. Awesome...so glad to have more shows in this universe. The animation was top notch, the voice acting was great (Hi Milton!), and I like Korra's character, which I was concerned I wouldn't. I am definitely in it for the long haul.

#979 Transfotaku

Transfotaku
  • Citizen
  • 1425 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Mar 26 2012, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's an interesting difference between Korra and Aang that they're showcasing.

Korra's natural aptitude for bending (with the exception of air) is far greater than Aang's. Aang had to be taught and dedicate a great deal of time and practice just to figure out how to start bending each element. Right out the gate, Korra could bend 3 of the 4, but she doesn't take to diligent training and focus like Aang did, so despite being able to bend 3 of the elements, she's not nearly as refined at it as Aang was, even though she's older.

Remember though, Aang didn't start off taking to learning. He was a goof off and a know it all. He thought he could just 'do it' by and large by using Cliff Notes and wanting to, because he was the Avatar.

It took him screwing up his first foray into fire bending and harming Katara in order for him to start taking things seriously and actually try to train properly.
RIP Libby - Died June 1st, 2012
WANT: Nightmare Unicron, IDW Trailcutter, Hoist x2, Orion Pax x2, BH Arcee, Legend Optimus w/Roller

#980 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional pain-in-the-ass

• Citizen
  • 4196 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

so... as to the villains we'll get to meet next week....

HIGHLIGHT to view:
they armed with Tai-li's style of chi-blocking, or they got something a bit more gamebreakingly powerful?

Also... any ideas on who might be hiding behind Amon's mask? I'm wondering if he isn't a possible descendant of Azula with a major 'I should be king of this' chip on his shoulder.

Course, that's just me and might be a tad stupid.
Its not broken.... its ADVANCED!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users