#961 Caldwin

Caldwin

You're not afraid of the dark, are you?

• Citizen
  • 7637 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(Zecora @ Mar 4 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... Can anyone explain that time loop thing with Garland at the end of the first game and/or Chaos' master plan? Also, what "misunderstanding" led to Garland be expelled from knighthood? I know games like this used to have very little plot back in the day, but I'm curious if this plot has been expanded upon outside of the game.

Being that I played in on the PSP, most of my experience with FF 1 was like that of most mobile games. My playtime was short, few and far between. So the story to me was rather broken I'm afraid. But I'm sure the last part of what you said about games back then having very little plot should go far into explaining everything that needs explained. Stories didn't really start getting deep until the 16 bit era. Don't lose too much sleep trying to piece it together.

Welcome to the Final Fantasy coven. You are now one of us...brother!

Mwa hahahahahaha! icon-blitz.gif
The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident.

#962 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5410 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

So the PS Network had a nice sale on Final Fantasy Games, and I went ahead and picked up Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy IV+After Years, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, 7, 8, and 9.

I actually own every one of these, but with the ability to play all of them on my PSP, figured it was time to really sit down and play them.

So I'm going to play 1-10, 10-2, 12, 13, and 13-2. In that order.

In the past I've beaten 7, 8, 10, and 13. So I actually am going to have a good time at it.

So I'm now playing 1 and about to kill Lich for prolly the 20th time. I always get up to the Canoe, and then for some reason quit playing.

Really looking forward to playing the series over again. Granted that means I gotta actually pull out the DS and play 3....

Oh well, outta be fun.

#963 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Citizen
  • 7637 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

3 was sooo much better on the iPad. Better graphics, don't have to rely on Mog mail from a server that no longer even exists for quests and the coveted Onion Knight job. If you have an iDevice, you may want to consider it.
The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident.

#964 EvilEyeSigma

EvilEyeSigma

I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.

• Citizen
  • 12461 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm right at the end of Final Fantasy VII now, just doing some serious grinding and the Battle Square before I go take on Sephiroth.

Maybe I'll fight Emerald and Ruby Weapon sometime too, I dunno.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4828 4709 8331

#965 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Having just acquired a copy of FF4 Complete (PSP) at last, I am now very torn. Do I bother with a 50+ hour run through of 4 (which I've cleared at least three times before), or just dive into the interlude and After Years...

Is there any in-game benefit to completing 4 before 4TAY on the disk?
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#966 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Mar 30 2012, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having just acquired a copy of FF4 Complete (PSP) at last, I am now very torn. Do I bother with a 50+ hour run through of 4 (which I've cleared at least three times before), or just dive into the interlude and After Years...

I've been on a PSP RPG buying kick lately, and FF4 complete was one of those I bought. However, at the time I was hip deep in a playthrough of FFIVDS. I finished up that playthrough, and will just tear into Interlude/After Years.

#967 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Mar 30 2012, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TAY is it's own game, so you don't copy over progress from 4. There is a ton of extra content on this version, though you may have already gotten that from the GBA version if you played that. The graphics are improved too, so there's a lot to get from revisiting.

#968 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18208 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Zecora @ Mar 4 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was here I found Final Fantasy I-IX + Chrono Trigger spread across numerous PS1 collections for about $5 - $15 dollars each.

Except III which was never released for PS1.

I may also try X, X-2, and XII if they're any good.

Yes. X is awesome. X-2 has a cooler system if you can get past the girly girl overtones. XII is very different in style but is also fun.

Technically I haven't beat the last two but I played through quite a lot of them. X-2 though I always get stuck at the same point about halfway through, where there's a rotating pit. Keep getting stuck and then don't know what to do next.

If you play X, the real fun is learning how to work the Battle System and farm your spheres. Play your cards right and your characters can deal 99,999 per hit. Then you're ready to finish the Monster Arena.

It should be fun, since I've heard various good/bad things about some of the newer Final Fantasys, yet nothing about any of the pre-VI games.

If you like the chibi style at all and you enjoyed the FF1 remake, then you'll like IV and V. Very fun games. IV is near and dear to many people's hearts for being the first sequel FF released in the States.

So... Can anyone explain that time loop thing with Garland at the end of the first game and/or Chaos' master plan? Also, what "misunderstanding" led to Garland be expelled from knighthood? I know games like this used to have very little plot back in the day, but I'm curious if this plot has been expanded upon outside of the game.

No, but even though it doesn't answer your questions, be aware that FFIX has some pretty blatant plot tie-ins to FF1. As well as throwbacks to a lot of other FF games.

Another side note...when you are done...if you are ever done...make a point to play Secret of Mana and Secret of Mana 2 (otherwise known as Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3). Probably you'll need to get the ROM of them unless the first one has come out in Wiiware. Not exactly like the SNES FF games, but masterpieces of the same era.

#969 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17257 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

You'll definitely need to emulate Seiken Densetsu 3, unless you want to pay out the nose and can read Japanese, but it's most certainly a masterpiece.

#970 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17257 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

FFIV isn't a true sequel to FF1. Quantum was just referring to how the game was marketed.

#971 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18208 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I really want to play TAY but not for $40 or whatever it ends up being...

#972 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Apr 2 2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

more like $20.
http://www.amazon.co...e...9331&sr=8-1

#973 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure I'd look for a tie in to other games just because of the inclusion of all those bosses. Seeing all of the bosses in there was pretty cool, but I don't think they're really insinuating any kind of shared universe.

#974 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17257 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Especially in the light of FFXIII-2's Coliseum bosses.

#975 Canthros

Canthros

Why don't Pac-Man wanna eat eyes?

• Citizen
  • 2919 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Re: Gilgamesh tying multiple FF game universes together

Actually, FFV's Gil was implied to be a dimensional drifter of sorts before After Years was released (why? how? that'd be a spoiler and I'm too lazy to look up the details). It's very probably the same guy, but his presence doesn't prove much of anything.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

#976 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18208 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Apr 3 2012, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Apr 2 2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

more like $20.
http://www.amazon.co...e...9331&sr=8-1

Let me rephrase. I really wanted to get TAY for Wii but not for $45-50.

#977 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17257 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Alrighty, just got my Platinum for FFXIII-2. I think it's time to take a bit of a break, until the Lightning side-story DLC comes out.

#978 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Citizen
  • 7637 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

I hope we don't have to wait too much longer. I've already moved on from XIII-2 just because the arena fights are getting boring...and as many times as I've fought Lightning...I still don't have her as one of my monsters.

#979 Frost181

Frost181

Now with full body armor and rocket launchers.

• Citizen
  • 3912 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Akira Toryiama did all the character designs in Chrono Trigger, hence the DBZ look.

Edited by Frost181, 07 April 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#980 EvilEyeSigma

EvilEyeSigma

I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.

• Citizen
  • 12461 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Man is Advent Children a lot more frustrating after actually having played FF7.

I used to like it, now it makes me want to break things until Cloud and Sephiroth fight.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4828 4709 8331

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users