General Final Fantasy chat

1657 replies to this topic

#961 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 16993 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Dang... that was... quite the ending. Now I can't wait for the FFXIII-3 announcement, or whatever the hell they follow this up with.

Until then, I'm off to get my Plat, and eagerly anticipating all the extra DLC episodes.

#962 Caldwin

Caldwin

Outta my way!!!!

• Citizen
  • 6653 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Mar 1 2012, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dang... that was... quite the ending. Now I can't wait for the FFXIII-3 announcement, or whatever the hell they follow this up with.

Until then, I'm off to get my Plat, and eagerly anticipating all the extra DLC episodes.

From what I hear, it's supposed to be concluded via DLC. But whatever it is, I hope we don't have to wait long. It's already been a few weeks since I've beaten it and I've moved on to other things now.

I'm actually a Transformers fan. That's how I joined the Allspark years ago. I just watched the first two episodes on Netflix today. But let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am not, nor will I EVER be...a brony. It's just not who I am. It just is not going to happen.

#963 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 16993 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'm aware that more DLC side-stories are to follow, but that ending just seems way too big to end simply on a DLC chapter.

We'll see, of course.

#964 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1778 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

So funny story, I was trying to physically track down Megaman Legends 2 for the Playstation1, since you can only seem to find it online for the ridiculous sum of $250.00+. I stumbled across a neat little place hidden away that was carrying an impressive number of games from retro systems.

It was here I found Final Fantasy I-IX + Chrono Trigger spread across numerous PS1 collections for about $5 - $15 dollars each. I quickly caved, realizing I would never find this kind of selection/deal ever again.

So having only ever played Final Fantasy VI and XIII, I'm now playing my way through each one in order(And Chrono Trigger) till I get back up to buying/playing XIII-2. I may also try X, X-2, and XII if they're any good. I anticipate this undertaking will take at least a good year since I don't like to put in more than an hour or so on a game in a single day.

It should be fun, since I've heard various good/bad things about some of the newer Final Fantasys, yet nothing about any of the pre-VI games. Over the past month I've beaten the remake of Final Fantasy with VI-style graphics and a much needed easy-mode and moved on to the II remake. That one is certainly unique so far in the way it handles leveling up, since apparently everything levels upd depending on your need or how much you use something, not experience points.

I hope to get the chance to share some thoughts on these games with the people who have already played them as I go along.

So... Can anyone explain that time loop thing with Garland at the end of the first game and/or Chaos' master plan? Also, what "misunderstanding" led to Garland be expelled from knighthood? I know games like this used to have very little plot back in the day, but I'm curious if this plot has been expanded upon outside of the game.

#965 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Zecora @ Mar 4 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... Can anyone explain that time loop thing with Garland at the end of the first game and/or Chaos' master plan? Also, what "misunderstanding" led to Garland be expelled from knighthood? I know games like this used to have very little plot back in the day, but I'm curious if this plot has been expanded upon outside of the game.
I'm not sure there's much else to it that's explained. Garland's motivation isn't totally explained. He's ... evil. He kidnaps the princess. Eventually becomes Chaos and goes to the past, sending crap to the future (present). This loop is broken but the implications aren't really specified. It's not entirely clear how it's a loop either, since there aren't really things repeating themselves.

#966 Caldwin

Caldwin

Outta my way!!!!

• Citizen
  • 6653 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Being that I played in on the PSP, most of my experience with FF 1 was like that of most mobile games. My playtime was short, few and far between. So the story to me was rather broken I'm afraid. But I'm sure the last part of what you said about games back then having very little plot should go far into explaining everything that needs explained. Stories didn't really start getting deep until the 16 bit era. Don't lose too much sleep trying to piece it together.

Welcome to the Final Fantasy coven. You are now one of us...brother!

Mwa hahahahahaha! icon-blitz.gif

I'm actually a Transformers fan. That's how I joined the Allspark years ago. I just watched the first two episodes on Netflix today. But let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am not, nor will I EVER be...a brony. It's just not who I am. It just is not going to happen.

#967 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1778 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(Adam @ Mar 5 2012, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure there's much else to it that's explained. Garland's motivation isn't totally explained. He's ... evil. He kidnaps the princess. Eventually becomes Chaos and goes to the past, sending crap to the future (present). This loop is broken but the implications aren't really specified. It's not entirely clear how it's a loop either, since there aren't really things repeating themselves.

Fair enough. I was expecting something pretty bare bones for the first Final Fantasy, even an enhanced remake, especially since character class selection prevented them from giving any of the protagonists character or motive. It was kind of amusing how the four literally just seemed to pop out of thin air in front of the castle with no backstory, no weapons, no armor, but these crystals indicating they were chosen warriors of destiny.

That said, it really seemed like they were trying for a complex time travel storyline at times, especially with the ten minute epilogue at the end that tried(And kinda failed) to explain everything in a way that made sense. I actually dug the plot point that the fiends were specifically waking up every 200 years, with the Wind fiend appearing 400 years in the past, the Water fiend appearing 200 years in the past, the Earth fiend waking up in present day and the Fire fiend destined to wake up 200 years in the future.

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Mar 5 2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being that I played in on the PSP, most of my experience with FF 1 was like that of most mobile games. My playtime was short, few and far between. So the story to me was rather broken I'm afraid. But I'm sure the last part of what you said about games back then having very little plot should go far into explaining everything that needs explained. Stories didn't really start getting deep until the 16 bit era. Don't lose too much sleep trying to piece it together.

Final Fantasy II seems much better at providing a better storyline and characters, although the protagonists are still a long way from being as fleshed out as the ones in Final Fantasy VI. The villian still seems like a generic evil baddie who is evil just because he's evil, but at least this one is actively present throughout the story to provide real menace. Also, we've got actual character deaths. Even party member deaths!

I'm quickly having to adjust to the fact that sleeping at the inn no longer cures all status effects and KOs like in Final Fantasy VI. Although, it does make a lot more sense. It's kinda amusing that ailments like being poisoned, turned to stone, amnesia and even death could be cured by a good night's sleep in VI.

I'm afraid that there seems to be no legitimate way to level up stats the way the game wants you to. I had to manually increase my HP by spending a few hours impaling myself on my own weapons, which I'm sure was not the game designers' original intention.

The game looks amazing by the way, just as detailed as VI in my opinion. Its hard to believe these remakes are based on games originally for the NES.

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Mar 5 2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the Final Fantasy coven. You are now one of us...brother!

Mwa hahahahahaha! icon-blitz.gif

I'm not signing anything in vital fluids without a lawyer present!

#968 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5395 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

So the PS Network had a nice sale on Final Fantasy Games, and I went ahead and picked up Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy IV+After Years, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, 7, 8, and 9.

I actually own every one of these, but with the ability to play all of them on my PSP, figured it was time to really sit down and play them.

So I'm going to play 1-10, 10-2, 12, 13, and 13-2. In that order.

In the past I've beaten 7, 8, 10, and 13. So I actually am going to have a good time at it.

So I'm now playing 1 and about to kill Lich for prolly the 20th time. I always get up to the Canoe, and then for some reason quit playing.

Really looking forward to playing the series over again. Granted that means I gotta actually pull out the DS and play 3....

Oh well, outta be fun.

#969 Caldwin

Caldwin

Outta my way!!!!

• Citizen
  • 6653 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

3 was sooo much better on the iPad. Better graphics, don't have to rely on Mog mail from a server that no longer even exists for quests and the coveted Onion Knight job. If you have an iDevice, you may want to consider it.

#970 EvilEyeSigma

EvilEyeSigma

I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.

• Citizen
  • 11031 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm right at the end of Final Fantasy VII now, just doing some serious grinding and the Battle Square before I go take on Sephiroth.

Maybe I'll fight Emerald and Ruby Weapon sometime too, I dunno.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4828 4709 8331

#971 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Having just acquired a copy of FF4 Complete (PSP) at last, I am now very torn. Do I bother with a 50+ hour run through of 4 (which I've cleared at least three times before), or just dive into the interlude and After Years...

Is there any in-game benefit to completing 4 before 4TAY on the disk?
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#972 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Mar 30 2012, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having just acquired a copy of FF4 Complete (PSP) at last, I am now very torn. Do I bother with a 50+ hour run through of 4 (which I've cleared at least three times before), or just dive into the interlude and After Years...

I've been on a PSP RPG buying kick lately, and FF4 complete was one of those I bought. However, at the time I was hip deep in a playthrough of FFIVDS. I finished up that playthrough, and will just tear into Interlude/After Years.

#973 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1778 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

So far After Years is very tight,
Its like Advent Children done right!

At first I thought four's graphics were lame,
But now so far its my second favorite FF game!

#974 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Mar 30 2012, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TAY is it's own game, so you don't copy over progress from 4. There is a ton of extra content on this version, though you may have already gotten that from the GBA version if you played that. The graphics are improved too, so there's a lot to get from revisiting.

#975 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 17991 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

It was here I found Final Fantasy I-IX + Chrono Trigger spread across numerous PS1 collections for about $5 - $15 dollars each.

Except III which was never released for PS1.

I may also try X, X-2, and XII if they're any good.

Yes. X is awesome. X-2 has a cooler system if you can get past the girly girl overtones. XII is very different in style but is also fun.

Technically I haven't beat the last two but I played through quite a lot of them. X-2 though I always get stuck at the same point about halfway through, where there's a rotating pit. Keep getting stuck and then don't know what to do next.

If you play X, the real fun is learning how to work the Battle System and farm your spheres. Play your cards right and your characters can deal 99,999 per hit. Then you're ready to finish the Monster Arena.

It should be fun, since I've heard various good/bad things about some of the newer Final Fantasys, yet nothing about any of the pre-VI games.

If you like the chibi style at all and you enjoyed the FF1 remake, then you'll like IV and V. Very fun games. IV is near and dear to many people's hearts for being the first sequel FF released in the States.

No, but even though it doesn't answer your questions, be aware that FFIX has some pretty blatant plot tie-ins to FF1. As well as throwbacks to a lot of other FF games.

Another side note...when you are done...if you are ever done...make a point to play Secret of Mana and Secret of Mana 2 (otherwise known as Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3). Probably you'll need to get the ROM of them unless the first one has come out in Wiiware. Not exactly like the SNES FF games, but masterpieces of the same era.

#976 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 16993 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

You'll definitely need to emulate Seiken Densetsu 3, unless you want to pay out the nose and can read Japanese, but it's most certainly a masterpiece.

#977 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1778 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Apr 2 2012, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was here I found Final Fantasy I-IX + Chrono Trigger spread across numerous PS1 collections for about $5 - $15 dollars each.

Except III which was never released for PS1.

I may also try X, X-2, and XII if they're any good.

Yes. X is awesome. X-2 has a cooler system if you can get past the girly girl overtones. XII is very different in style but is also fun.

Technically I haven't beat the last two but I played through quite a lot of them. X-2 though I always get stuck at the same point about halfway through, where there's a rotating pit. Keep getting stuck and then don't know what to do next.

If you play X, the real fun is learning how to work the Battle System and farm your spheres. Play your cards right and your characters can deal 99,999 per hit. Then you're ready to finish the Monster Arena.

It should be fun, since I've heard various good/bad things about some of the newer Final Fantasys, yet nothing about any of the pre-VI games.

If you like the chibi style at all and you enjoyed the FF1 remake, then you'll like IV and V. Very fun games. IV is near and dear to many people's hearts for being the first sequel FF released in the States.

No, but even though it doesn't answer your questions, be aware that FFIX has some pretty blatant plot tie-ins to FF1. As well as throwbacks to a lot of other FF games.

Another side note...when you are done...if you are ever done...make a point to play Secret of Mana and Secret of Mana 2 (otherwise known as Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3). Probably you'll need to get the ROM of them unless the first one has come out in Wiiware. Not exactly like the SNES FF games, but masterpieces of the same era.

Yeah, I had to skip III but it doesn't seem liking I'm missing too much. IV was a truly awesome surprise for me, but is it really supposed to be a sequel like you said? I mean, there were some obvious throwbacks with the four elemental crystals and four fiends of element(Even though they were completely different from the ones in FF1), but is it really supposed to be set in the same universe as FF1?

I'm currently at the end of FFIV The After Years which I downloaded for the Wii immediately following beating IV. Apparently I'm going through rematches will all the bosses from IV, one by one. Its a little tedious, but I loved the attention they gave this game. Its awesome to see kinda an epilogue to what happened to all of these characters 17 years later. I hope they give a good explanation at the end to wrap up everything that's been happening throughout this game.

I definately pick up X, X-2 and XII when I get to them, but as expected, the task of playing through all the FF games in order is certainly taking awhile. icon-hotrod.gif

#978 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 16993 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

FFIV isn't a true sequel to FF1. Quantum was just referring to how the game was marketed.

#979 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1778 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Right, I forgot that IV was released as II when it first came out in the States. My bad.

This final dungeon in After Years is by far the longest final dungeon I've played through in a Final Fantasy game yet. Its been at least three times as long as the last dungeon in IV so far and I'm STILL not at the end, nor do I know the villain's motivation or even her/their name(s) yet. The eerie music and ruins at this point are really piquing my interest though.

I really hope this ends up having a satisfying payoff, as I've loved everything else about this sequel so far.

Edit: I'm fighting the four fiends from Final Fantasy 1 now?! Maybe they really do take place in the same universe!

Edited by Zecora, 02 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#980 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 17991 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I really want to play TAY but not for $40 or whatever it ends up being...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users