Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  BlackMax : (05 December 2016 - 06:41 PM)

:D

@  LBD "Nyt... : (05 December 2016 - 06:24 PM)

...TAKE IT!

@  LBD "Nyt... : (05 December 2016 - 06:24 PM)

Then make like Bart Simpson and just take it! Take it take it take it take it!

@  BlackMax : (05 December 2016 - 06:18 PM)

..............I ~might~ want all the cold.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (05 December 2016 - 06:17 PM)

Trust me, you're not getting ALL the cold. You don't want ALL the cold.

@  BlackMax : (05 December 2016 - 06:04 PM)

You guys in Canada have nice weather! I know it! You keep sending all the cold down here to Ohio to dump snow on us.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (05 December 2016 - 05:45 PM)

@Nevermore Wonko and I are in Canada. ;P

@  Robowang : (05 December 2016 - 09:58 AM)

Big random stuff sale just posted in BST - Boxed and loose G1, Japanese magazine exclusives, Botcon stuff, and more

@  Waspinator : (05 December 2016 - 07:03 AM)

LINER FORM

@  BlackMax : (05 December 2016 - 04:20 AM)

Momo, Ura, Kin, or Ryu? :D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 December 2016 - 05:00 PM)

But with Tauros you don't really have to worry about cars. ;)

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2016 - 04:20 PM)

At least you don't have to clean up after a bike.

@  Bass X0 : (04 December 2016 - 04:19 PM)

Bicycles? That's old school. Riding a Tauros is the thing to do these days.

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 03:15 PM)

On a warm and sunny day, I could reach several dozen stores by bike.

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 03:14 PM)

Lots of small, medium-sized and large cities within a short travelling distance of each other, and decent infrastructure.

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 03:14 PM)

I guess that's the advantage of living in a decentralized major urban region.

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 02:55 PM)

Multiples of each except for Scorch Strike Jetstorm.

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 02:54 PM)

I've seen waves 1-3 of the original torpedo/cyclone/buzzsaw Mini-Cons plus a lone Scorch Strike Jetstorm from wave 4, as well as wave 1 of the Weaponizers.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 December 2016 - 02:33 PM)

I litteraly have to tracel 20 minutes out of town to the next town over if I want to even find the 5 dollar heads. Which of course.. I don't have the money to do *sulks in corner*

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2016 - 02:32 PM)

Yeah, still the first wave.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 December 2016 - 02:32 PM)

You have Minicons?

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2016 - 02:31 PM)

My Walmart has had three minicons and two Leader Skywarps and nothing else for about three months now.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 December 2016 - 02:31 PM)

No seriously... We have almost an entire aisle of Batman/Superman toys... and from what the stocker has told me...at least 10 more boxes of it in the back.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 December 2016 - 02:30 PM)

Wait.. you have Transformers? Around here it's "MAOR BATMANS!"

@  Steevy Maximus : (04 December 2016 - 02:18 PM)

Probably do

@  Nevermore : (04 December 2016 - 02:10 PM)

Seriously, I get the impression we actually have better distribution here around my part in Germany than most of the US does.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (04 December 2016 - 12:06 PM)

Over 40 minutes of waiting on the phone to find out if they had Galvatron (I was aiming for a price match deal if they did). Along the way, I ended up connecting to two other customers who were waiting to be connected to other departments.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (04 December 2016 - 12:00 PM)

Man, Walmart... that was an adventure of sorts yesterday...

@  wonko the sane? : (04 December 2016 - 11:57 AM)

I saw megatron at walmart, and astrotrain as well. Figured they were in the same case assortment. Now I don't know what to think.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (04 December 2016 - 11:25 AM)

Still hoping to find Chromedome, and another shot at Rewind. Not part of the sale, but...

@  LBD "Nyt... : (04 December 2016 - 11:25 AM)

Wow, didn't even know those were out here yet.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 December 2016 - 11:15 AM)

I got me an astrotrain at that sale! Wanted a megatron too, but didn't find one.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (04 December 2016 - 11:14 AM)

Went to TRU to take advantage of a 40% off deal they had on Sentinel Prime and Galvatron (I wanted the latter), but they were out of stock before the sale even began. =P Got a raincheck, at least.

@  BlackMax : (04 December 2016 - 08:33 AM)

Huh. Maybe I can figure a way to headcanon IDW Strafe into being AoE Strafe...

@  zephyrX9 : (04 December 2016 - 03:12 AM)

I'm sure under a different artist, she might look like something!

@  Verity Carlo : (04 December 2016 - 01:50 AM)

She....well, I'm not sure what she turns into, but it involves her face splitting in half.

@  Verity Carlo : (04 December 2016 - 01:49 AM)

There was also Strafe for Female Dinobots.

@  LordGigaIce : (03 December 2016 - 11:57 PM)

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/3/33/Raptoricon_symbol.jpg

@  LordGigaIce : (03 December 2016 - 11:57 PM)

plus the best faction insignia ever

@  Dracula : (03 December 2016 - 11:27 PM)

but yeah we need toys of those Raptoricons yesterday.

@  Dracula : (03 December 2016 - 11:27 PM)

but BW also set the precedent that the gender of the scanned beast mode doesn't need to match the robot mode...so bright colors are fine ;)

@  BlackMax : (03 December 2016 - 11:04 PM)

That WOULD be a very good point, except Slash has got ~all the bright colors~, and in the bird world (which as we all know is also the dino world)rampant bright colors are a male thing.

@  LordGigaIce : (03 December 2016 - 10:56 PM)

There was that one Deluxe raptor mould from AoE....GET ON IT FUNPU....oh. Now I'm sad.

@  BlackMax : (03 December 2016 - 10:54 PM)

...I did not know bout this. Maybe I should amend my comment to "we need more female Dinotobts ~who have toys~."

@  Dracula : (03 December 2016 - 10:05 PM)

@BlackMax - did you know about the Raptoricons? Currently they've only been in fan club prose but they have pretty badass designs and are all female.

@  Rycochet : (03 December 2016 - 09:21 PM)

More female dinosaur transformers would be nice, but not specifically dinobots. Never been a fan of adding new guys to that specific subgroup, it feels a bit like when ageing rock bands add new members.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 December 2016 - 09:02 PM)

Wait, swoop isn't a woman?

@  BlackMax : (03 December 2016 - 07:44 PM)

Can I just take a moment and declare that we need some female Dinobots? Because we really need some female Dinobots.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 December 2016 - 05:41 PM)

It was awesome seeing all those heroes together on screen, though. I hope Superman and Martian Manhunter get to participate in the next crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 December 2016 - 05:36 PM)

The solution was also just a bit too easy... the Dominators are apparently just big sissys, give 'em a poke with a caddle prod and they'll run off

Photo
- - - - -

Q&A/chat with Chris Mowry

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 (Deactivated) Mowry

(Deactivated) Mowry
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Chip @ Nov 14 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does a character have to die just because he's never going to be A-list? The whole point of off-screen toys is that they can have their own adventures in the fans' minds and living rooms. Killing them off before they get to do anything, and in many cases before they even get the form represented by the toy, throws away characters that otherwise had a lot of potential. There's nothing wrong with toy characters dying off, but before they have an ending they at least deserve a story. If a character isn't going to get that, I would much rather see an all-new character used.

This isn't unique to the movie comics. IDW's G1 comics have made good use of a couple of previously unexplored characters like Banzaitron, but they've reduced a lot of equally interesting characters to single-panel cannon fodder. That doesn't accomplish anything except to make me look forward to the next license-holder, so maybe a Leadfoot or a Drench can finally get a story.

Chip, the movie books never had an ongoing. I have a lot of ideas on how things could have gone and a lot of those background characters would have have their own stories. But that's not happening. I'm not saying that just because a character isn't Ironhide that he's not going to be important. I just don't see how they're going to be important down the road is all. It's not a "I hate that character" statement, it's just how I approached it. Hasbro had no problem with it, so I didn't think twice. And not everyone died, either. I had plans for a lot of those guys in "Alliance." It's just too bad the original idea had to be fashioned to be more movie-friendly.

Sorry for taking this thread so off-topic. If anyone wants to talk about it, PM me or start a Q&A thread, please.

#22 (Deactivated) Mowry

(Deactivated) Mowry
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Jack Cade @ Nov 14 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE("Mowry")
I think slagging off Michael Bay is unacceptable. Yeah, he probably deserves a lot of criticism, but he really did bring the franchise back.

As a matter of principle, I think restricting ourselves to treating everyone in the world like they were in the same room as us is unrealistic and unnecessary. Bay is so far removed from everything that goes on here that I think personal attacks on him, when done with a sense of perspective and when reflecting a genuine grievance, are OK really. Absolute bile and hatred is ugly to see anywhere, but spiky, call-it-like-you-see-it comments are often part of gamely banter. If anything, it's just the flipside of being rich and successful.

As a matter of opinion, I tend to think all Bay did that was credit-worthy was take the chance on the property. I really think a TF movie would have been just as successful, if not moreso, in the hands of almost any other director willing to run with it. Against that is Bay's questionable socio-political sensitivity and the fact that he seems to have almost no interest in retaining anything from pre-existing TF fiction except the general concept and some of the names.

But that's another topic!

You know, Jack, you're right. The franchise could have been brought back regardless of who directed it (and probably even stronger had someone else directed it IMO). But I was trying to say that bashing him is just kind of pointless because he's really above all of this. Who knows if he really cares for the license, it's not my place to say. But I know that Shane cares, and Ryall does, Denton, me... we all care. But you're right, acting like we're all in the same room is unrealistic and unreasonable. I've always approached things with a "treat others as you want to be treated" attitude and it's just too bad that some use anonymity via the internet to just spew nonsense. But when it's directed at someone who (love him or hate him) is at the forefront of shoving this franchise down the public's throats, then he might deserve a little credit, no?

But you're right... that is another topic. icon-hotrod.gif

#23 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 11016 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

I think one thing that makes a lot of characters in Transformers fiction work as well as they do is hyperbole.

Take Beast Wars Rattrap. How often does he say "We're all gonna die?"

Or take ROTF Jetfire's crankiness.

And before anyone says it doesn't work in comics, I point to Death's Head, who's not a Transformer per se but has a pretty distinct personality, yes?

Give characters some unique speech mannerisms, catchphrases, frequent idioms that create a personality. Sometimes it's just the little nuances that make readers actually care about hi-then-die characters beyond "I got that toy".

Swindle and Jolt/"Deadend" in Alliance were a step in the right direction, actually. They exchanged some banter before they met their untimely demise. It just needed more work. Some more hyperbole, make their dialogue less "technical", less verbose and less expository and mix in some more personality.

Here's a quick attempt to spice up the dialogue on page 18 in Alliance #3:

"So when do we get to blow up stuff already, Swindle?"
"Patience, Dead End. Why do I always get to work with amateurs?"
"Tough words coming from a malfunction like you!"
"Malfunction? Do you even know what that word means, you stupid practice drone?"
"Hey, nobody calls me a praxis drone! Come on, I kill you right here on the spot, Dwindle!"
"Save it until after the mission is done. If you survive, that is. Now let's get started already."

In your version, both characters seemed to have the same level of intellect and level of language. I tried to increase your characterizations by making "Dead End" even more trigger-happy and dim-witted with the misquote (which is kinda ripped off from Rumble in the 1986 animated movie) while making Swindle more of an arrogant snob. However, I noticed that this deviates from the toy bio where Swindle is the dumb and trigger-happy guy. Not sure how to reconcile that personality with the basic content of the dialogue in your version, unless I swap around personalities.

You see the difference in tone, though? The basic information delivered is the same, but the characters have more of an edge to them that makes them stick out more. The dialogue doesn't just deliver the important information on a silver platter, but incorporates it more into a fleshed out version of the characters' attitudes.

In your version, Swindle and "Dead End" keep referring to the "mission", apparently in an attempt to drive home the point that they are about to start a pre-planned mission. This information is already hinted with Fracture's voiceover lead-in to the scene, and pointing out the existence of a mission once is more than sufficient.

Skimming through issue 4, I notice a lot more instances where the dialogue puts a lot of emphasis on DELIVERING IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN A PAINFULLY STRAIGHTFORWARD FASHION. The dialogue needs to come across more natural, less "written" and more "spoken". I know the problem very well because I've been reading comic books translated into German for many years, and some translators, while having good linguistic skills, just fail at writing natural dialogue. When you can't tell the difference between Ben Grimm and Thor's dialogue, you know something is wrong.

Issue 4, page 4 onwards. There's a lot of "appears", "I think", "if Barricade's intel is correct" and such. That disrupts the flow of the dialogue by making the characters overly analytic. Works maybe for Ratchet, but not so much for Ironhide or Swindle.

How about this:
"I've got some kind of energy reading, but there's nothing suspicious here. Maybe they're..." SMASH!
"So much for your energy readings, Ratchet. Team two in pursuit. Team one, heading your way!"
"Copy that, team two. Signatures are marked, closing in now. Big Buddha's in the lead."
"Whoa, that went fast! Swindle here, we're being chased! Still no sign of... PRIME!"
"HRRK!"
"Dead End is down! Confirm contact with Prime. This ain't good, this ain't..."
"You can run, but you cannot hide..."
"Prime, you're all right?"
"I'm fine, Ironhide. Not so sure about this one, though. Ratchet?"
"Confirm. This one's out."
"One down, one to go. Where's Lennox?"
"Still with Bumblebee. Going after them."
"One hostile down! We need a clean-up crew ASAP!"

Actually, I think Epps' military dialogue is mostly okay. The biggest problem I see is with Ironhide, who should be more grumpy and less verbose. Shorten sentences more, reduce the amount of subjects, full names (just "Prime") and explicit explanations of even the most minute details. Speeds up the scene a little more, and makes the characters talk less like, well, comic book characters.

One trick I'm using is to try to actually speak the dialogue with the characters' on-screen voices in mind (well, except for Swindle and "Dead End"). If it sounds off, the dialogue needs work.

I'm sure others here may be able to come up with even better substitute dialogue than my 2:00 AM attempt. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by Nevermore, 14 November 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#24 lonegamer8

lonegamer8

Handsome afthead, ain't he? *tries not to start fangirling*

• Retired Staff
  • 9462 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Jeysie, Walky, cool it.

My works! Lemme show you 'em!

Avatar base courtesy of Wombat King <- not at the moment

Allspark's August Reading List 2007 - "Sides"
Allspark's July Fic Challenge 2007 "Red Carpet" winner - "Blue Carpet"
The NEW TFWiki!
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers pack-in comic summaries.
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers monthly manga summaries.

#25 lonegamer8

lonegamer8

Handsome afthead, ain't he? *tries not to start fangirling*

• Retired Staff
  • 9462 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

Moving various posts that deviated from Continuum's main discussion, so if you have any thoughts or questions along the lines of TF comics (like why "such-and-such" didn't show up in a certain issue), Chris Mowry can answer them whenever he can.

Remember, he's a busy guy and please keep things polite, thank you very much.

My works! Lemme show you 'em!

Avatar base courtesy of Wombat King <- not at the moment

Allspark's August Reading List 2007 - "Sides"
Allspark's July Fic Challenge 2007 "Red Carpet" winner - "Blue Carpet"
The NEW TFWiki!
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers pack-in comic summaries.
Henkei! Henkei! Transformers monthly manga summaries.

#26 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3667 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

Back to the topic at hand...

Chris, thanks for coming here - I haven't commented much but I've read everything you've said closely, all very interested. Your time is appreciated.

One thing though I wanted to ask about is how much changes get dictated from above. Obviously a lot of the Movie stuff was necessitated by needing to step around the Movies themselves. However, you also mention that some other stuff you wanted to do was changed on mandates from above (some things you didn't mention, one thing you did was a silent Bumblebee story). And you also mentioned that Shane apparently had a good explanation for the Seeker's alt-mode change that never made it into All Hail Megatron - would could be writer oversight, but something else obviously must've caused it. Did he lose an issue or two, having to spend it on something else (I'm thinking along the lines of how AHM #7 seemed to basically be a bone to all the people saying "this doesn't line up in continuity", as all the flashbacks and infodumping kinda came out of the blue). Or was it something else?

I'm also just a bit surprised that it seems the editors are so hands-on in some areas (shooting down the idea for a silent issue) but in other areas they're perfectly willing to let the writer take full rein (Shane really needed someone telling him to fit things into continuity better - I still think he could've told the story he wanted to tell in AHM and fit into continuity better, giving us a story that everyone liked more - but that would've taken some editorial interference). Not sure how much you know or can tell us, but any info would be nice.

#27 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 11016 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

Getting back a little more on topic.

Chris, I also recommend The Incredible Hulk #417 and #418 as an example of how humor can work in a comic. The story deals with Rick Jones's bachelor party and wedding, and there's lots of crazy stuff going on.

And yet at the same time, the story still manages to maintain a certain amount of drama.

#28 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 11016 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Thinking more about the "dialogue" bit, I think the problem with many writers is that they are (in theory, at least) very literate and versed in proper use of language. So they want, consciously or not, the dialogue in their stories to reflect this. Unfortunately, this results in characters who are supposed to be a lot less intelligent than the writer sounding way too smart. The most infamous example would be "Hulk really angry at puny humans! Why puny humans never leave Hulk alone? Hulk will crush puny humans!"

I don't know whether writers just have a genuine problem intentionally writing realistic "dumb" dialogue for dumb characters, or whether it is a mental block of sorts that makes them believe the dialogue will reflect on the perception of the writer's intelligence somehow. Might also be a subconscious result of an attitude on the writers' behalf to counter the perception of the general public that "comics are for kids" by trying to write dialogue that doesn't sound like "stupid kids' stuff". Unfortunately, this results in stilted, overtly complex dialogue.

Furman is guilty of this in particular. I mean, in the ROTF adaption, Rampage refers to Sam's parents as "protoform batch initiators". Replacing an Earth term like "parents" with something that sounds more "Cybertronian" isn't a problem per se, but the replacement sounds awkwardly clunky. Sure the Transformers, especially grunts like Rampage, would have a shorter, more catchy term for that?

#29 Jeysie

Jeysie

Geekbot & Nerdicon Fangirl

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

I have to agree that dialogue's always been a weak point in TF fiction in general. Animated and the recent TFCC prose being the main exceptions, although the Movieverse, for all its other faults, also actually does well in giving every character a distinct voice.

But, speaking as someone who likes writing dialogue, I have to say the guess that it's hard writing believably "dumb" dialogue is closer to accurate, in my experience anyway. Without meaning to sound arrogant, if you're used to using SAT-level vocabulary and grammar, it really is hard to write more "informal" dialogue without the professorial stuff slipping in subconsciously.

Of course, the opposite is true as well... I almost always end up groaning whenever a writer tries attempting the speech of someone who's extremely nerdy/intelligent because they almost always get the "geekspeak" really wrong. (Mainly because they usually make the mistake of thinking that it boils down to just always using the longest words possible...)

...I guess you could more accurately say that trying to write any character whose speech patterns differ significantly from your own in any way always takes effort to pull off believably.

#30 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 37750 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

This topic has been split...again!

If you'd like to continue discussing the death of toy-only characters, please do so here.

And now that we have those posts out of the way, let's light our Mowry-signal again and try to get this thread back on topic!

#31 Counterpunch?

Counterpunch?
  • Citizen
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Regarding IDW as part of the ?community??

I just want to start out by saying that I have supported IDW since Issue #0. Even after my house was broken into and everything was taken (comics included), I went about putting my collection of stories back together.

I watched the cartoon as a kid and was never really into the Marvel comics continuing stories. That being said, the work IDW was producing was becoming ?the? comic story-line for me.

I will not nor do I think there is a need to harp on dialogue or whether this or that character should die. I think IDW has told good stories and good stories always over-ride the small details.

All Hail Megatron was the first move that, for me, began the process of overriding the big details. It cut the very heart of the story out from what I had been previously so invested in. This is where I come back to the community comment. I think that there?s a certain give-and-take that has to occur for a product or art to survive when it is created by a member of the community, fellow fan, or even a friend.

The people buying the stories always give; they give their all important dollar to see that the books get made and everyone gets paid.

But that?s not my point, that?s not what I want to get to.

See, I feel that AHM was the beginning of IDW not being a part of the community because it was a take, take, take scenario. Take this new setting, take these new character portrayals, and take this set of unanswered questions? Take a year of (what could have been really great) comics and accept that this grand plotline is something you will like (even if you don?t think you do).

But there were substantive as well as objective problems with the story. People noticed those problems, questioned those issues, and felt largely ignored.

The thing is?comic fans and readers will ride a train from one station to another, because once they get on, there?s really little choice but to finish the trip. Back to the point, the vocalization of the issues at hand were, seemingly pushed aside, until it was all over and there was CODA as a hindsight approach to the problems.

Maybe my perspective is skewed by being a rabid fan. Perhaps the casual reader has less of an issue with the break in continuity. Your perspective may really be superior to mine in this regard; perhaps the business model had to change. My perspective on the matter was that many fans felt like IDW had moved towards the business model where dialogue from the company only moved down to the consumer, that we were being told what good storytelling was, rather than a business model where the business and writers are part of the community. While with the latter it is impossible to take every comment, concern, or complaint into consideration, at the very least we have sympathetic responses to one another.

Back again to community, participation, and product?I was very supportive of all the work IDW was doing for a time. I still buy pretty much everything I get the opportunity to purchase, but ultimately I feel that the criticism and the slamming of work gets harder and more pointed the more distant that work is from the community.

So, on the topic of whether it is right or wrong to harshly criticize the work of these comics, knowing how close the writers and producers of the product are to the fans, I might suggest that the negative comments and the frequency they come in at are a result of those people telling the stories having moved away from the community ties.

Respectfully,

-cp

#32 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1402 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

See, I've followed the series since Infiltration, and I'm odd in that I enjoyed AHM in *most* aspects. I liked the fact that it was a simpler, character-driven storyline (I loved Megs and Starscream's conversations) instead of a complex event-driven one.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was how it ignored and displaced a ton of the previous continuity. Basically, if AHM wasn't tied into the already-established IDW verse (I remember hearing false rumors, for example, that it would be set in an alternate universe) or else there had been more of a transition from the -Ations to it, I would have liked it more.

So there's a sort of split there. On one hand, I liked the writing, I liked the story on its own, all that. On the other hand, I didn't like the flagrant disregard for continuity, and the chucking out of a lot of characters (the original 3 humans, who I'd grown to like) and concepts (Ultra Energon, Facsimilies) so that the story could take place. Heck, I really felt like if Furman hadn't written Maximum Dinobots, we would have been left to assume the whole Machination thing, which we spent three books building up, fizzled out off-camera. I really got the feeling, basically, that no one really cared about Furman's pre-established continuity, but for whatever reason they didn't want to fully reboot.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if you want to take things in another direction, fine, but I do wish ideas and characters wouldn't just get dropped with little to no explanation. Basically, have faith in and respect your own canon a bit more.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 18 November 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#33 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 7937 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Chris, I'd just like some assurance that the folks at IDW have an idea of how the universe goes from the point A at the end of 'Maximum Dinobots' to the point B at the start of 'All Hail Megatron'. We were told that issues 13-16 would address the continuity gaffes, but only #15 (and seriously with Nick Roche's Kup story) made any serious effort, as those stories appear to have been geared more towards setting the stage for the ongoing.

For example, does IDW have answers to some of these questions; where'd Jimmy and Verity go, and how did the Decepticons capture Hunter? What happened to the Magnificence? Where did the Matrix of Leadership come from? And where were the Dinobots during the events of AHM?

I realize you may not be able to answer some (or all) of these questions, but if you can shed any light on that, I'd be appreciative. If you can't, or if IDW's policy is to simply let us fans figure out what happened on our own, that's fine too - I'd just like a straight answer one way or another.

*silently hopes he hasn't overstepped his bounds*
William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.