Over-saturated protagonist

• Citizen
  • 13426 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 21 2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Mar 20 2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, you know what I mean.

I know your bitching for the sake of bitching... If you know what I mean

I think Chris has a very valid point on the matter.

#82 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20974 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Oh, god, why did I click this thread? I lost the whole freaking day.
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#83 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6553 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 21 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#84 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41572 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Nutjob R/T @ Mar 21 2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, god, why did I click this thread? I lost the whole freaking day.

Why did I dick this thread?
It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#85 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5133 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Mar 21 2012, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Is TVTropes a encyclopedia site run by some institution or did it start out as something funny, silly and inane. I think it was the latter so to have something funny, silly and inane really doesn't go against the site, especially when it does go with show within a show... Which is a TV trope

Inspector Spacetime
Kujibiki Imbalance
All My Circuits

So having a page for Inspector Spacetime on TvTropes does fit since it's a bit of fun poking at a TVTrope.

And look I didn't point to the TVTropes page to give you a valid and well thought out answer.. icon-hotrod.gif Toodles.

Edited by DarkeklawGW, 21 March 2012 - 05:59 PM.

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

Back in the shirt game.  These two shirts are waiting for when I start their next campaign. 

http://teespring.com...sAbshirt_copy_1 Everyday is Abs Shirt. Ended without tipping 

http://teespring.com/Voices2014 Voices version 4 Ended without tipping.  

#86 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 17811 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

You two are being such "Stop Having Fun, Guys!" guys right now!
icon-waspy.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#87 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Mar 21 2012, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You two are being such "Stop Having Fun, Guys!" guys right now!
icon-waspy.gif

I thought I was defending fun... icon-screamer.gif

AND NOBODY EVER PAYS ME IN GUM!!!

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

Back in the shirt game.  These two shirts are waiting for when I start their next campaign. 

http://teespring.com...sAbshirt_copy_1 Everyday is Abs Shirt. Ended without tipping 

#88 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17811 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Oh, not you, I meant Chris and HellCat.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#89 Naas

Naas

mfw sword

• Citizen
  • 5457 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 21 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Is TVTropes a encyclopedia site run by some institution or did it start out as something funny, silly and inane. I think it was the latter so to have something funny, silly and inane really doesn't go against the site, especially when it does go with show within a show... Which is a TV trope

Inspector Spacetime
Kujibiki Imbalance
All My Circuits

So having a page for Inspector Spacetime on TvTropes does fit since it's a bit of fun poking at a TVTrope.

And look I didn't point to the TVTropes page to give you a valid and well thought out answer.. icon-hotrod.gif Toodles.

Well, the second thing in that list (which you misspelled) was made into an actual series, and All My Circuits is a page about characters watching Soap operas. Inspector Spacetime is the only page loaded with made-up stuff.

ohhhh
so stupid nonsense chuuni swords

BUGS BUGS BUGS

#90 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 21 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Inspector Spacetime
Kujibiki Imbalance
All My Circuits

Well, the second thing in that list (which you misspelled) was made into an actual series, and All My Circuits is a page about characters watching Soap operas. Inspector Spacetime is the only page loaded with made-up stuff.

You do realize that everything there is Made Up Stuff. That's why it's called Fiction.... TVTropes is a wiki and ANYONE can edit a Wiki, and the people who run TVTropes saw the page and left it there because they knew it was Community fans having fun.. also of course it's going to be made up stuff, but it's all made up stuff about a show within a show, something fun for less stuck up readers of the page...

Ya know... Fanwank.

First Derpy now Inspector Spacetime, can you tight sphinctered people leave things be. icon-screamer.gif

Also All My Circuits is from Futurama and is the name of the Soap Opera Calculon stars on (as well as Bender for awhile)

Edited by DarkeklawGW, 21 March 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#91 Naas

Naas

mfw sword

• Citizen
  • 5457 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

^ It's a site for cataloging fiction, not writing your own fiction. And simply putting Doctor Who content and changing the names wasn't quite the entire point of the "actual" Inspector Spacetime. Community used it for a Star Wars reference too.

Edited by Item42, 21 March 2012 - 10:00 PM.

ohhhh

BUGS BUGS BUGS

#92 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 13426 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

I agree it's a bogus argument to claim TV Tropes is for writing fan fiction. It can catalogue examples of fanfiction but once you start trying to write it on there it just becomes all sorts of muddled. In this case in particular, simply tweaking canon Doctor Who examples to build this up is lazy. It kind of reminds me of a past member at another forum I go to who used to steal other members genuinely funny jokes and run them into the ground until no one found them funny at all.

#93 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5133 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Mar 21 2012, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree it's a bogus argument to claim TV Tropes is for writing fan fiction. It can catalogue examples of fanfiction but once you start trying to write it on there it just becomes all sorts of muddled. In this case in particular, simply tweaking canon Doctor Who examples to build this up is lazy. It kind of reminds me of a past member at another forum I go to who used to steal other members genuinely funny jokes and run them into the ground until no one found them funny at all.

What part of IT'S A WIKI doesn't get through that thick british skull of yours? Whoever runs it can do whatever they want with it. The Fans made up a fun page and he left it there because he thought it was fun and funny. If YOU or Chris or anyone else doesn't like it.. SOD OFF!

How's that?

Oh and tell the writers of Community because they came up with Inspector Spacetime in the first place...

Edited by DarkeklawGW, 22 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#94 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20038 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

You guys sound like you all need a visit to Dr. Brinner. He's a ghost psychiatrist, you know.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#95 HellCat

HellCat

• Citizen
  • 13426 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 22 2012, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What part of IT'S A WIKI doesn't get through that thick british skull of yours? Whoever runs it can do whatever they want with it. The Fans made up a fun page and he left it there because he thought it was fun and funny. If YOU or Chris or anyone else doesn't like it.. SOD OFF!

How's that?

Oh and tell the writers of Community because they came up with Inspector Spacetime in the first place...

Getting pissed off at the British....there's probably a Trope for that.

#96 Zek Miser

Zek Miser

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7594 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

^ I'd name it "1776 Syndrome."

#97 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 22 2012, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How's that?

It's not okay to openly criticize something that sucks for sucking? Sorry but no one is saying TV Tropes needs to be shut down or we should petition to have that removed. That article is bull jive, and it's very inclusion speaks to a lack of quality of the web site as a whole. It's allowed, because the monkeys who run it are idiots and it speaks to the whole thing being a free for all. You're into that, I obviously get that, but your liking it doesn't invalidate a completely understandable criticism. The site is a joke.

#98 Naas

Naas

mfw sword

• Citizen
  • 5457 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(DarkeklawGW @ Mar 22 2012, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What part of IT'S A WIKI doesn't get through that thick british skull of yours? Whoever runs it can do whatever they want with it.

There's something wrong with that sentence there. :it's a wiki" would imply that decisions are made by the userbase, not whoever runs it. Plus, it's not like Eddie actually wrote that page, he just let it be, despite how it doesn't help with anything.

The Fans made up a fun page and he left it there because he thought it was fun and funny. If YOU or Chris or anyone else doesn't like it.. SOD OFF!

How's that?

Because telling people they aren't allowed to express distaste is a perfectly fine thing to do. And letting people have fandom fun all over has proven a bad idea with people trying to shoehorn references to their favorite shows everywhere, trope images that don't show what the trope is about, and so on.

They didn't come up with Inspector Spacetime to be 100% Doctor Who-derivative. There was something about an infamous Christmas special.

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Mar 22 2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys sound like you all need a visit to Dr. Brinner. He's a ghost psychiatrist, you know.

The Dr. Brinner stuff actually is a catalog. But of ideas that have been thrown around instead of an actual published work. Still, not made-up for the specific page.

QUOTE(Adam @ Mar 23 2012, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not okay to openly criticize something that sucks for sucking? Sorry but no one is saying TV Tropes needs to be shut down or we should petition to have that removed. That article is bull jive, and it's very inclusion speaks to a lack of quality of the web site as a whole. It's allowed, because the monkeys who run it are idiots and it speaks to the whole thing being a free for all. You're into that, I obviously get that, but your liking it doesn't invalidate a completely understandable criticism. The site is a joke.

Honestly, the site works when editors actually know what they're doing. But when they don't know for a particular page, you end up with articles that don't have a clue what they're about, and/or not sound like articles at all, with people "replying" to things. Yeah, that free for all thing is a major problem. But, I should add that the Inspector Spacetime page is only there because Fast Eddie thinks something is okay despite not actually helping with the site.

Edited by Item42, 22 March 2012 - 10:20 PM.

ohhhh

BUGS BUGS BUGS

#99 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 17811 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Adam @ Mar 22 2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They make one joke article and all of a sudden RUINED FOREVER RUINED FOREVER RUINED FOREVER.

#100 Naas

Naas

mfw sword

• Citizen
  • 5457 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

The Inspector Spacetime page isn't the only one...

ohhhh

BUGS BUGS BUGS

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users