#1 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 4296 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

Translated interview with Shogo Hasui.

TFW has posted a translation of the interview with Shogo Hasui up on TakaraTomy's website. Mr Hasui is known amongst his peers as "Mr. Starscream" because he has worked on every modern Starscream toy since Armada. It offers a lot of insight to both his views, TakaraTomy's views, and Japan's views in general.

#2 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12233 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

That was interesting. You don't tend to think about things like box size playing a big part in the design role, but it makes sense. And makes you appreciate when those voyager boxes are kinda big for most of the line, because that means the few bigger ones can fit.

#3 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27923 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

Drills are popular in Japan.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#4 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 45970 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Nifty. Frenzy popping out of Barricade's chest was inspired by the toy.
15421072186_462d2859a6_o.jpg

#5 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48584 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(crazyjw18 @ May 17 2009, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was interesting. You don't tend to think about things like box size playing a big part in the design role, but it makes sense. And makes you appreciate when those voyager boxes are kinda big for most of the line, because that means the few bigger ones can fit.

Yeah, I remember this being a big thing with Wing Saber. He was too big a size for the US, so a lot of his paint detail was removed and he barely fit in the box. Any of the figures made for the Robot Masters line are another example, not being Basic/Scout or Deluxe size.

Randy

#6 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

Some of it confused me. I guess the translation wasn't that great.
One of the things was about how Japanese and American fans thought about robot and alt modes... Japanese only judge the power of the robot mode based on the weapons?? Is that what they were saying? and they judge the alt mode based on it's real life abilities??

#7 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48584 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

They're saying that Americans want their strong guys big, and their fast guys slender. While the Japanese want them to have similar body types, but that they have some distinction that shows their power. Think how Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm are obviously very similar but both have traits that point to their fire & wind powers. So in the case of someone strong say he has special gloves or gauntlets while someone fast has special boots, etc but they basically have the same physical size and build.

Randy

#8 JazzMeister14

JazzMeister14
  • Citizen
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Ok, read the interview and I'm kind of in the middle of how I feel about body types for transformers. I like diverse sizes, and I like different armaments being the deciding factor on a Transformers abilities not just one single thing. Takara/Tomy make a Alternity Jazz with normal color version and a pearl white with blue stripe that comes with a drill weapon and a little gun, and you got me. That would be the most epic thing ever! icon-silverbolt.gif Jazz's sunglasses/visor, drill, cool confident attitude, sociable, skilled, it be the best transformer ever. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Jazz
"Now I'm motivated!" Vergil DMC3

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users