7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

Watch My Smoke!

• Citizen
  • 131 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Powered Convoy pointed out to me today that my artwork is being used for TicoBot '08's Costa Rica's new TF Con without my permission.
Original image:

Ticobot image:

I emailed the person who provided the image over at the Energon Pub to please credit me for the imagery or to remove it. And to ask artists before using their stuff in the future.
I don't own Optimus Prime's likeness, technically Hasbro owns all imagery (including fanart of Optimus) so their is really no issue there.
And it's flattering to see my Classics OP be appreciated enough for a Con logo, but it would be nice to be asked before seeing it in use. icon-wildride.gif

Edited by Hot Rod, 22 October 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#2 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

Watch My Smoke!

• Citizen
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

The guy contacted me & said they had no idea it was my art & they are working on fixing it.
So were cool.
But I want the artists here to be aware this stuff happens, sometimes by big things like a Con, & it could be anywhere in the world... next time it could be you, so take notice of where your art is & where it maybe shouldn't be.

Edited by Hot Rod, 22 October 2008 - 09:38 PM.

#3 Drive-By

Drive-By

Eschew Obfuscation

• Citizen
  • 1536 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

Yeah ask Makotron about that sometime. ;p

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54290 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

You should just tell them to send you some free stuff from the con, credit you and call it even.

Order your Guardians of the Galaxy tickets from now until August 4th from Fandango and you not only help The Allspark, but you also get entered in a chance to win original movie props from Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers movies.

#5 Liam Shalloo

Liam Shalloo

Theoretically God

• Citizen
  • 2185 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:55 AM

yeah free stuff should be sent your way, it sucks when people just use your stuff without asking; i mean personally anything i've done pro, i dont mind. Or if its like some fan art being made for a you tube video, again i dont mind.

Whats really annoying is stuff like here or with the Cougar comic where people are making money off your art but you aint seeing a dime....... *grumble grumble 13 months and STILL no paycheck*

Maker of Video Games, Comics and DVD's

#6 mdverde

mdverde
  • Protoform
  • 1 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi!

I'm from the Ticobot organization group.

Just want to make clear some things.

The person that draw our logo didn't tell us that he taked the Optimus Artwork from Internet, so we thought it was original.

Now we added credits to the image and we're using it with permission.

Ticobot is really a small convention and a non-profit event. We are not making money of it. The entrance fee (about US$2 an adult and US$1.5 a child) is charged by the place we're using (Museo de los ni?os) and we will not see a cent. Money from sponsors (only 2 will pay) is already spent in things needed for the event. We're just a group of fans that want to share our passion.

We are very sorry about this situation and we are going to be very careful in the future about using others' work without permission.

Have a nice day!

#7 Drivaaar

Drivaaar

A tux, and shows no mercy.

• Retired Staff
  • 3926 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(Dogbean @ Oct 23 2008, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats really annoying is stuff like here or with the Cougar comic where people are making money off your art but you aint seeing a dime....... *grumble grumble 13 months and STILL no paycheck*

What a sec - the Cougar thing is making money?!? I thought that project just fizzled out?

#8 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

Watch My Smoke!

• Citizen
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(mdverde @ Oct 23 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

I'm from the Ticobot organization group.

Just want to make clear some things.

The person that draw our logo didn't tell us that he taked the Optimus Artwork from Internet, so we thought it was original.

Now we added credits to the image and we're using it with permission.

Ticobot is really a small convention and a non-profit event. We are not making money of it. The entrance fee (about US$2 an adult and US$1.5 a child) is charged by the place we're using (Museo de los ni?os) and we will not see a cent. Money from sponsors (only 2 will pay) is already spent in things needed for the event. We're just a group of fans that want to share our passion.

We are very sorry about this situation and we are going to be very careful in the future about using others' work without permission.

Have a nice day!

Thanks again mdverde!! You resolved the situation professionally & quickly.
Good luck with Con!! icon-ironhide.gif I am glad my artwork could help.

MODS you can CLOSE this thread.

Edited by Hot Rod, 23 October 2008 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users