How do you display your collection?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Human_Error

Human_Error
  • Protoform
  • 16 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

After adding a bunch of Animated figures to my collection im having a little trouble deciding on how to display them.

Here's my dilemma: I dont really think the animated figures fit with the other lines. There just so drastically different from any other line they kinda clash with the other guys. I love these guys so much but cant seem to decide how to fit them in. it also doesnt help that i keep running out of room but thats a whole other story

how do you do it? do you separate them by what line they came, by character (eg put all the primes together), do you separate them by faction, or just mix them all together? also do you keep them in robot mode or alt mode?
If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself! -Blitzwing

www.unicron.com

#2 EvilEyeSigma

EvilEyeSigma

I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.

• Citizen
  • 11035 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

I got Animated on a bin and everything else either on top or inside of an armoire.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4828 4709 8331

#3 Armorglide79

Armorglide79

Dang, but my wife's sexy...

• Citizen
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

I really don't have that many animated, but I suppose you could go by color scheme. Mine are all blended totether ons various shelves
Hell on earth teaches us the value of heaven."

#4 secretcode

secretcode

The Herald of Wat.

• Protoform
  • 20 posts
  • Location:The Hellhole called &quot;Kentucky&quot;. Good lord it smells like incest and meth here.
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

I had this problem for longgggg time. So I finally figured it out when my animated totals got to about 8 or 9.

My top shelf is Animated in sort of a Autobot vs. Decepticons (And Lockdown) scene.
My 2nd Shelf is Classics/Unicron Trilogy.
My 3rd Shelf is Movieverse.
My 4th Shelf is what has irked me for the last few weeks. My big ol' figs that I can't fit anywhere else. (Cybertron Prime, Movie Wingsaber, Vector Prime, Cybertron Megs, BW Optimal Optimus)

So basically, yeah. Display them by themselves. icon-blitz.gif

#5 perceptor@unicron.com

perceptor@unicron.com

Perceptor@unicron.com

• Citizen
  • 133 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

Yeah dude, you collect Transformers long enough, you will run into this problem.
There's really only one viable solution: glass enclosed, internally lit display shelves.
something like THIS.

Glass is a must so it doesn't get horribly dusty. And after a year+ the toys will look like crap w/o it.
Lights because the they just look SO much cooler when all lit up!

You're also right, Animated stuff just doesn't look right next to movie. Both excellent in their own right, but not a good fit alongside one another. The only downside to going out and buying a display case is that it's not cheap. Another idea that I did was build my own shelf. In my case, I work out of a home-office. In this office there was a closet. I put white laminate particle board lining all the surfaces, then built in lights, then encased the lights in UV proof glass (so it doesn't fade the toy's plastic) then installed very large glass shelves. In total the closet has 6 shelves that are ~6 foot wide and 2 feet deep. All lit up it looks pretty fantastic. I really need to take some newer pictures! (More pix at the bottom of our, "About Us" page, linked to at the top of unicron.com...

Good luck hombre!

"Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else."
Lukis Bros. Transformers Collector Site

#6 Human_Error

Human_Error
  • Protoform
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(perceptor@unicron.com @ Oct 30 2008, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah dude, you collect Transformers long enough, you will run into this problem.
There's really only one viable solution: glass enclosed, internally lit display shelves.
something like THIS.

Glass is a must so it doesn't get horribly dusty. And after a year+ the toys will look like crap w/o it.
Lights because the they just look SO much cooler when all lit up!

You're also right, Animated stuff just doesn't look right next to movie. Both excellent in their own right, but not a good fit alongside one another. The only downside to going out and buying a display case is that it's not cheap. Another idea that I did was build my own shelf. In my case, I work out of a home-office. In this office there was a closet. I put white laminate particle board lining all the surfaces, then built in lights, then encased the lights in UV proof glass (so it doesn't fade the toy's plastic) then installed very large glass shelves. In total the closet has 6 shelves that are ~6 foot wide and 2 feet deep. All lit up it looks pretty fantastic. I really need to take some newer pictures! (More pix at the bottom of our, "About Us" page, linked to at the top of unicron.com...

Good luck hombre!

Yeah ive seen your display it looks awesome like that. Sadly i dont have the room for something like that. The truth is i was running out of room a while ago and had to put stuff all over the place it just didnt really get to me until now. at this point ive given up until i can get some new shelves. ultilmetly id like to have a shelf for all the different lines. ill figure something out. your right about the dust i hate it but theres nothing i can do about it. you gotta love that canned air it makes it much easyer to clean the figures!
If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself! -Blitzwing

www.unicron.com

#7 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3028 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

My collection is relatively small, but space issues are a nuisance these days since every time I purchase new stuff, the small shelves on the closet get even more crowded and is difficult to display figures that way.
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#8 bellprime

bellprime
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

I just find places to put them. I have some out in the living room on our tv stand. I also have some on my bookstand in my room.

#9 Omega Charge

Omega Charge
  • Protoform
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Don't have a lot, so I'm not yet running out of space. I keep them mostly all in robot mode on a shelf.

So... how do you eat a Reese's?

#10 Edwin

Edwin

It absolutely will not stop! Ever! Until it has TOYS!

• Supporter
  • 1043 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

About 20-25 pieces a month in my glass cabinet in my room. Also once a year around late January/early February I sprawl out parts of my collection by category and line all the 'bots up on the floor. I get help from a couple of fellow collectors now to help set it up / take it down. I don't have enough cabinet or floor space to display my entire collection at once, so the cabinet is fun for me to swap out every now and then.

Mike "E"

Edited by Edwin, 03 January 2009 - 12:56 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users