Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

Released July 18, 2007.
. . .

#2 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Read it, though it was a bit confusing without the rest of the Club's Classic comic to go with it. But oh well.

It was pretty good and certainly one of FP's less fan-wanky stories. I liked Bug Bite the most and thought it was inspired how they took the e-hobby bio and expanded upon it so much. A shame he had to go and die just when he was getting interesting.

Dreadwind was funny.

Overall, next to Dawn of Future's Past, it's one of the best/least-annoying comics that FP has released and certainly shows an upward trend on their part. It got me wanting to read the rest of the Classics storyline, anyway. So hopefully they release that in trade like they did their Cybertron comic.

#3 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46291 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

A shame he had to go and die just when he was getting interesting.

I believe Pete (or someone?) spoke to the effect of that not being as permanent as it looked.

#4 Shade-X

Shade-X

Get...in...my...BELLY!

• Protoform
  • 366 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

I really liked all of the references to the Marvel G1 universe (Old Powermaster partners, scraplets, Shockwave's disembodied head ala Prime, Bludgeon still leading most of the 'cons, Galvatron's fusion cannon lying near Megatron's throne, etc.). I could definitely get into this universe, it feels more G1 to me than either Dreamwave's or IDW's universes (of which I still enjoy the latter).
"Amazing, a booby trap that actually catches boobies." -- Optimus Prime

#5 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

a harmless earth creature...

• Citizen
  • 2161 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

All in all, a pleasent and easy to read convention comic.

Some golden moments (Thundercracker's constant irritation with Weirdwolf, Dirge getting wasted again icon-fire.gif Dreadwind for example...)

Makes me look forward to the eventual trade we hopefully get in year or so of club comic that this story takes place in.

#6 M Sipher

M Sipher

Tinja Nurtles.

• Citizen
  • 10455 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

So how about them Mini-Cons?

M "TYRANNITRON. TYRANNITRON!" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#7 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

a harmless earth creature...

• Citizen
  • 2161 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ Jul 20 2007, 12:52 AM) View Post

So how about them Mini-Cons?

M "TYRANNITRON. TYRANNITRON!" Sipher

hehe, what little we see of him on the first page makes him look adorable, and what Magnus says about him to Huffer makes me think of a puppy that chews anything it can when un supervised.

Oh and who are those three mini-con aircraft attacking Firebot and co? they seem familar

#8 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 4018 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Well, overall I liked the Beast Wars one better, I think it had better pacing. But I'll have to give it a couple of re-reads anyway. icon-hotrod.gif

I'll say what I did like.

Seeing the Classic's in a form other than the toys, it was good seeing them in comic form.

Dreadwind "Why doesn't anyone like me?" icon-fire.gif , I wonder if we'll see a Darkwind toy in the future.

Weirdwolf's first line. icon-fire.gif

I know next to nothing about the Marvel G1 comics, but I can imagine Shockwave doing something similar to what he did in the DW comics, and Megatron doing this as punishment to him.

I probably wouldn't have noticed Galvatron's fusion cannon on the back of Meg's throne, but anyone else notice Ratchet one the same page. Poor guy.

I can't really think of any minus' flipping through it to make this post, I guess I liked it more than I thought. icon-waspy.gif

#9 Shockprowl04

Shockprowl04
  • Citizen
  • 1505 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Fenix Twilight @ Jul 22 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, overall I liked the Beast Wars one better, I think it had better pacing. But I'll have to give it a couple of re-reads anyway. icon-hotrod.gif

I'll say what I did like.

Seeing the Classic's in a form other than the toys, it was good seeing them in comic form.

Dreadwind "Why doesn't anyone like me?" icon-fire.gif , I wonder if we'll see a Darkwind toy in the future.

Weirdwolf's first line. icon-fire.gif

I know next to nothing about the Marvel G1 comics, but I can imagine Shockwave doing something similar to what he did in the DW comics, and Megatron doing this as punishment to him.

I probably wouldn't have noticed Galvatron's fusion cannon on the back of Meg's throne, but anyone else notice Ratchet one the same page. Poor guy.

I can't really think of any minus' flipping through it to make this post, I guess I liked it more than I thought. icon-waspy.gif

Ratchet and Megatron were basically linked at the spark towards the end of the Marvel run, allowing each to see through the other's eyes and have access to their thoughts, so keeping Ratchet alive and in his quarters makes a lot of sense. Although that could arguably be a major weakness of Megs...supposedly killing Ratchet would end his life too.

Edited by Shockprowl04, 22 July 2007 - 02:40 PM.

Only for the Royalty, do I have such Loyalty.

#10 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2112 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

Dude, I gotta re-read that when I get home. I never noticed Ratchet and Galvatron's cannon.
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#11 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3206 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Like most FP comics, it didn't really do much for me. I agree with Spengler on the good points - it was less fanwanky, and Bug Bite was REALLY well done, in my opinion. Quite an interesting way of putting in his origins and giving him some understandable motivation. That said...

This doesn't really feel like Marvel G1 at all to me, despite all the references. They just feel tacked on. I guess part of it is we're seeing characters introduced - Ultra Magnus, Springer, and Elita One - who weren't really in the comics. If you're going to include Magnus and Springer, you might as well use the UK material. Hell, Ultra Magnus himself feels entirely wrong...I realize part of this is the fact his Classics toy is a Prime repaint, so they have to go with the "Little Prime" stuff, but it doesn't really work for me. And Elita One is a CARTOON character through and through.

Basically, too much of it seems shoehorned into make the Classics toys/appearances fit with the end of the Marvel G1 comic. So we get a lot of characters randomly resurrected without much difficulty (Megs, all the Seekers). Soundwave and the Constructicons all left Bludgeon for some unknown reason. The whole Mini-con storyline seems incredibly unneccessary...we already had Micromasters in G1 Marvel, why would Primus go to the effort of making a whole new race with a whole new name thats...exactly like what we already had?

I dunno, maybe it's just because comic book art and coloring has changed so much since then...it's just the feel. Eh. Would definitely like to see more of this world, though...22 pages is not enough for all the little details and naggling questions we get. I should point out I really like inclusions of Ratchet and Shockwave...never liked how they were basically ignored in the G2 comic. (Though Galvy's cannon doesn't make much sense there. He died fighting Fort Max and drowned deep underwater).

That reminds me, I really hope we see what happens to Fort Max. That would make me very happy...

Edited by Magnusblitz, 22 July 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#12 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1414 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Magnusblitz @ Jul 22 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno, maybe it's just because comic book art and coloring has changed so much since then...it's just the feel. Eh. Would definitely like to see more of this world, though...22 pages is not enough for all the little details and naggling questions we get. I should point out I really like inclusions of Ratchet and Shockwave...never liked how they were basically ignored in the G2 comic. (Though Galvy's cannon doesn't make much sense there. He died fighting Fort Max and drowned deep underwater).

That reminds me, I really hope we see what happens to Fort Max. That would make me very happy...

I'd assume Megatron located Galvatron's body and probably did away with him. Didn't he say to Bugbite "I weary of travelers from other dimensions?" at one point? Who else could Megs be refering to there?

Or maybe Galvatron came back (being thrown in an icy lake after being beaten up hardly seems fatal for Galvatron of all bots) and Megatron dealt with him then. If they are ignoring UK material, Megatron doesn't knw who Galvatron was, unless he had some further dealings with him between Marvel and Classics.

I'd also assume Spike simply retired and Maximus is gathering mothballs somewhere.

#13 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9295 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Wildwade @ Jul 22 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd assume Megatron located Galvatron's body and probably did away with him. Didn't he say to Bugbite "I weary of travelers from other dimensions?" at one point? Who else could Megs be refering to there?
Having just met Skyfall and Landmine (and possibly Breakaway, though given where the story stands at present, I'm guessing no), perhaps?

Or maybe Galvatron came back (being thrown in an icy lake after being beaten up hardly seems fatal for Galvatron of all bots) and Megatron dealt with him then. If they are ignoring UK material, Megatron doesn't knw who Galvatron was, unless he had some further dealings with him between Marvel and Classics.
Certainly possible, although I'd like that gap filled in....

TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#14 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1414 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Jul 22 2007, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Wildwade @ Jul 22 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having just met Skyfall and Landmine (and possibly Breakaway, though given where the story stands at present, I'm guessing no), perhaps?

Certainly possible, although I'd like that gap filled in....

Oh yeah...forgot them. But in any case, Megs probably retrieved Galvatron's body at the very least, seeing as he has the cannon.

#15 SkyQuake

SkyQuake

Bettin' on the Ponies.

• Citizen
  • 1643 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

It could be that Megatron upgraded himself by studying Galvatron (by the way, Galvy carried a particle beam cannon, not fusion icon-waspy.gif ). With Bugbite's appearance, it does make you wonder where the other former "Gobots" are at. There are a good many questions that I would love answered, but FP would have to have a 22 page monthy comic to get to them all. Also, if Ratchet is alive, and not merely a dead trophee, why didn't the other Autobots pick him up when they got Mirage?

The Hexwing Art Contest is COMPLETED!

#16 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9295 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(SkyQuake @ Jul 23 2007, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, if Ratchet is alive, and not merely a dead trophee, why didn't the other Autobots pick him up when they got Mirage?
"What's up with Ratchet?" is one of the "monster sized, HUGE" plot holes leftover from Marvel G1 that I'd like to see addressed, and all that image does is tell us that FP is aware of it. It doesn't serve to ANSWER this question in any meaningful way.

As to why the Autobots didn't pick Ratchet up? I doubt they knew he was there. No reason that they would ever have been in that room....

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 23 July 2007 - 09:16 AM.

TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#17 OmegaX80

OmegaX80
  • Citizen
  • 1279 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

This was released to comics shops or through exclusive retailers? I never found it around here.

#18 X-BoB58

X-BoB58

Grand Duke of Distraction

• Citizen
  • 5848 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

The Art's just way too modern to feel like the Modern comics.

#19 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 8941 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE(X-BoB58 @ Jul 23 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[head a'splode]

ho6m.png

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE

Virtually&nbsp;every custom as good as the title suggests!

#20 Defunct

Defunct

Not to be funct with. . .

• Retired Staff
  • 26834 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(lastmaximal @ Jul 24 2007, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(X-BoB58 @ Jul 23 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[head a'splode]

I can only assume he meant "way too modern to feel like the [b]Marvel[b] comics". . . but you never know.
. . .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users