TF Pulp update November 30, 2013: eHOBBY Magnificus "Badlands" Online

499 replies to this topic

#261 Diablien

Diablien
  • Protoform
  • 5 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hey Hydra, thanks for posting that info on unicron! Really exciting even though the news is about 15 years old!

You inspired me to share a collection of pics that I somehow received, and it's been so long I can hardly remember how I got them. I've posted them on my blog here. Also, thanks for the link to George's site, I've never seen that before.

#262 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(Diablien @ Dec 5 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Hydra, thanks for posting that info on unicron! Really exciting even though the news is about 15 years old!

You inspired me to share a collection of pics that I somehow received, and it's been so long I can hardly remember how I got them. I've posted them on my blog here. Also, thanks for the link to George's site, I've never seen that before.

Why do I get the feeling that even though the guy's face is blurred, he's smiling... icon-hotrod.gif

#263 Diablien

Diablien
  • Protoform
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(JonT @ Dec 6 2010, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do I get the feeling that even though the guy's face is blurred, he's smiling... icon-hotrod.gif

He kind of has a goofy look like he's hung over. Or maybe the guy taking the photo owns the toys and is just making his friend hold it? It looks to be a hotel room suite, there is kitchen but so close to the bed...

Anyway I decided to blur out the face because I have no idea whom this individual is and if someone really know who this is, they probably own the originals.

#264 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12797 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

TF Pulp update Jan 26, 2011: EXCITING TRANSFORMERS (with Video!)

http://www.allspark....t/view/8375/37/

We'll have a few related updates in the next couple weeks: The TV Magazine that uses the early Metroplex design, as well as the Bom Bom pages that show the early Metroplex design in high resolution.

Edited by Might Gaine, 26 January 2011 - 09:20 AM.

(,>.<, ) ....******

#265 Hydra

Hydra

I'm in your Burger Bot eating burgers with your Isenburg!

• Citizen
  • 2223 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

Wow, nice research! I didn't realize how much the video tied in to various other TF promotions!

Incidentally, the interview with Hideaki Yoke went spectacularly, and I'm in the process of translating it to post here as a TF Pulp Allspark exclusive!
There are lots of good tidbits in it, so stay tuned!

-Hydra
SELL ME THESE ITEMS!
Botcon 1997 Dinner Decoys: $300 ea.
Unreleased Ultra Magnus Street Speed Team: $1000
Lucky Draw Orange Hazard Team: $500/member
Bagged BotCon 2006 Box Set figures

#266 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

Cool stuff! Wasn't Exciting Transformers was also the video where they showed cels for Transformers: The Movie being painted, and a small bit on a kid from the UK getting an Optimus Prime toy after writing directly to Takara?

#267 Cavalier

Cavalier
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Man I just love seeing all the old production art. I wish they would archive some more stuff outside of what's within Visual Works and Generations and make it available via an artbook of some kind. I would love to see the 86' movies concept art in particular. Thanks Hydra and Mighty Gaine, I really appreciate the new Pulp installment.

#268 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12797 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(JonT @ Jan 26 2011, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool stuff! Wasn't Exciting Transformers was also the video where they showed cels for Transformers: The Movie being painted, and a small bit on a kid from the UK getting an Optimus Prime toy after writing directly to Takara?

Yep, those are in the second and third installments of Exciting Transformers, respectively. Here's the second installement, which shows a Springer cel being painted:

(,>.<, ) ....******

#269 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 47832 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(Hydra @ Jan 26 2011, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, nice research! I didn't realize how much the video tied in to various other TF promotions!

Incidentally, the interview with Hideaki Yoke went spectacularly, and I'm in the process of translating it to post here as a TF Pulp Allspark exclusive!
There are lots of good tidbits in it, so stay tuned!

-Hydra

Excellent news Hydra! I can't wait to read it! icon-ironhide.gif

Randy

#270 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Oh yeah, that "Exciting Transformers" thing was on the Pioneer DVD set. I hadn't watched it since I got the set 3 or 4 years ago. Forgot about all the production art that was in there.

Cool stuff!

#271 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Someone should really put a sign at the entrance of the Ark saying to check your shoulders for evil cassette tapes before entering. They get more spies that way!

#272 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

TF Pulp update Feb 12, 2011: Comic Bom-Bom: Scramble City

http://www.allspark....t/view/8453/37/

11 months worth of Studio Ox character art and Japanese kids' TF ideas icon-hotrod.gif
(,>.<, ) ....******

#273 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Heh. The text on the Galvatron page describes him as "Megatron's right-hand man".

I knew some of these old Bom Bom pieces came with art depicting Megatron and Galvatron side by side, but this is the first time I've read a blurb describing them as separate people.

Hooray for micro-continuities!

#274 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12797 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

I did a bunch of clean up to take out the grain of the paper on these and to reduce the shadow near the spine. The paper on the original Comic Bom-Bom pages is actually very grainy and the ink is usually not a solid black but rather a gray or blue. Here's an example of the conversion:
comparison1.jpg

(,>.<, ) ....******

#275 Hydra

Hydra

• Citizen
  • 2223 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

I'm pretty sure that TV Magazine explicitly describes him as a separate character upon his introduction. Pretty much all the Scramble City stuff starts off on that note.
And how were we to know that this was actually a Galvatron from an alternate dimension....?! ...According to E-Hobby. icon-ball.gif

These pages are a lot clearer with the touch-ups. Looking good.

There'll be another interesting microcontinuity when we post the '85 Comic Bom-Boms.
Prepare yourself for... A Birth of Planet Saybertron! (Their spelling, not mine...)

-Hydra
SELL ME THESE ITEMS!

#276 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Lovely stuff, Studio Ox never disappoints! Funny that the latest Pulp entry mentions that Bom-Bom's coverage of Transformers ended with the beginning of Headmasters, because from what I remember, Studio Ox's Transformers art, most particularly their work for TV Magazine, dried up around the same time, with most of the work done afterwards seemingly done solely by Ban Magami.

As for the kids' suggestions for Transformers, there's more than a few of the insect-themed entries that are very close to several Beast Wars characters!

#277 fortress prime77

fortress prime77

G1 Fan

• Citizen
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

That armored megatron on page 5 is freaking cool!

#278 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12797 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

TF Pulp update April 10, 2011: Comic Bom-Bom: 1985 (with text story)
http://www.allspark....t/view/8707/37/

Prepare yourself for... A BIRTH OF PLANET SAYBERTRON
(,>.<, ) ....******

#279 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

That backstory is... well, it's amazing and kinda weird.

I like it.

#280 Hydra

Hydra

• Citizen
  • 2223 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thanks, I thought it was definitely unique and worthy of translation.

The question is, why? it certainly is bizarre, although well written, in my opinion.

-Hydra
SELL ME THESE ITEMS!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users